CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there someone out there who knows how to get around the idiotic locks on the panniers that only allow opening and closing with the key. Can they be replaced? The locks should have a position which allows opening without the key. Really frustrating having to turn the engine off just to open the panniers to get out wet weather gear etc.

Muzz

·
Registered
229 Posts
Panniers

Is there someone out there who knows how to get around the idiotic locks on the panniers that only allow opening and closing with the key. Can they be replaced? The locks should have a position which allows opening without the key. Really frustrating having to turn the engine off just to open the panniers to get out wet weather gear etc.

Muzz
Or better still unlock them and take them off the bike like the BMWs

·
Registered
764 Posts
I'm carrying both keys with me everywhere I go. The lock system is not very good. It's not just the part about taking the key out. The fasteners are noisy and don't easily fasten properly.

When I moved up from the CTX700D I wanted better saddle bag fasteners. These are not really much better.

Even the system on top box leaves a lot to be desired.

Reactions: psullam

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
ST1100/1300 riders all find the same situation. Many buy extra key blanks and have them cut, and then cut off the key-head and glue on a plastic radio knob and just leave that "fixed" key in the panier lock on each side. I know those keys are not like our keys and not sure where you can get any of the CTX keys cut other than direct from Honda.

I prefer having to use the key for the latches. Keeps me from leaving the panier open/unlocked as I have been known to do on my GL1500. Once travelled down the highway from one town to the next, about 35 miles, with my panier hanging open while on a trip with stuff packed in there. I didn't lose a single bit of what was in there even though some was smaller loose stuff. And those were the same type of clamshell paniers as the CTX has... just a bit bigger.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I prefer having to use the key for the latches. Keeps me from leaving the panier open/unlocked ....
... and that's exactly why they're set up like they are -- to prevent those less-attentive among us from riding away with an open bag. It's too easy to forget to check if the bag is not only closed, but latched securely; and the way these bags open, that could very easily cause an accident.

This is one of those safety features I'm glad to have.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I agree with sleepngbear , it's a safety feature and I leave it as it is. Bring the second key with you which is always a good idea (e.g. attached to the house keys).

Reactions: bob and willajabir

·
Registered
446 Posts
For technical completeness, if the lock barrel on the sidebags is identical to the one on the top case (why wouldn't it?), it has a dedicated tumbler that keeps the key in when the barrel is twisted to the unlocked position.

It should be enough to remove said tumbler and the key will come out in both positions -- risky as that is.

As for having extra keys cut, it's a trivial job for a proper key shop/locksmith. All this "only from Honda 'cause they're laser cut" is BS for people not in the know.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Didn't say a proper key shop couldn't cut a key. Just that I haven't heard of, or found, a place yet that can cut a key like ours (might I add... in my area). That would still be a valid idea, but as you stated- risky since there is nothing but the lock to hold the latch down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts