CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This dolly does everything it promised, can move the bike around the garage very easy.
The cons are ....

...Getting the bike on the dolly is a bear, tried it twice by myself and didn't even come close to getting it up. With two people it's easy. Riding the rear wheel up on 2x6"'s plus a 1/2" scrap of plywood made it a breeze, front wheel in a chock.

...Getting the bike off the chock is a pain, even with the dolly wheels in the locked position the dolly skids forward. Need to make some sort of rubber padded wedge to put in front of the dolly

...Getting on your knees place the dolly is not a plus. Not a big deal and maybe when I've used it a few more times a better method will come to me.

Think some of the lift problem might be the steep angle of the center stand feet. Again, with the rear tire blocks it's easy.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Agreed. However not even using mine other than a test run. Bought before I realized dont really have space restrictions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Had to put the bike on the Park-n-ride again. Put ramps on 1x6 to roll it up on a paver stone. Popping centerstand on it was way easier.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I know this is an old thread but curious who is using this type of dolly, I see inexpensive one listed for under $100 but spec is 500lbs on those, some north of $200 rated for 1200lbs. I ask as I have an extremely steep driveway to garage floor, the only way I would want to go up or down would be in a forward direction. It would be nice if I could spin the bike 180 on a dolly versus a back and forth using the entire floor. My last bike was about the same weight and I used to like keeping it on the center stand unless I'm in daily driving mode. It was a beast to get on the center stand until I learned to drive it up on a wood ramp which made it extremely easy.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Are you buying a CTX with a center stand? I added it to mine using a ratchet strap. I used to have a 2002 Kawasaki Concours C10 that was a bear to put on the center stand, but I've found the CTX 1300 to be far easier. Just get both feet of the stand on the ground and then a good push down on the foot lever and up she goes. I've had to slow the motion because otherwise the bike slides forward.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My last ride was a 03 Connie. She was a bit of work and so top heavy I scared myself a couple times before figuring out the two pieces wood 1x then 2x she would drive front easily up and be on the 1x again once rocked back onto the center stand. Flying today to look at one today with center stand fingers crossed I will be headed out to BR parkway for a bucket list ride.
I could do the three point turn but probably a fair pain in the ...... My house is in an area where to be above flood they build up the lot, so we have probably 4 foot or more of elevation in the driveway and the idea of going down backwards just seems like asking for trouble and swinging a turn on the way down not a good idea. Maybe I am under estimating my abilities or over estimating the steep drive.
So the idea of popping up on the Park & Ride or similar stand, being able to cover and slide it to the side or do a 180 to go face down hill is very interesting to me.
So hoping to get some feed back from anyone using one, how good they work, if the lighter weight 500 lbs rating ones on Amazon will hold the 750lbs?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This dolly does everything it promised, can move the bike around the garage very easy.
The cons are ....

...Getting the bike on the dolly is a bear, tried it twice by myself and didn't even come close to getting it up. With two people it's easy. Riding the rear wheel up on 2x6"'s plus a 1/2" scrap of plywood made it a breeze, front wheel in a chock.

...Getting the bike off the chock is a pain, even with the dolly wheels in the locked position the dolly skids forward. Need to make some sort of rubber padded wedge to put in front of the dolly

...Getting on your knees place the dolly is not a plus. Not a big deal and maybe when I've used it a few more times a better method will come to me.

Think some of the lift problem might be the steep angle of the center stand feet. Again, with the rear tire blocks it's easy.
Could you give me a long term update to your review. Did you find a way to use more easily?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Anyone using a Park N Move or similar design want to offer a review. If something you don't want to post feel free to PM me. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
I like that idea, I have some extremely thick plastic that we wrap boat lift pilings with in saltwater. I bet a couple pieces of that with about anything on it will allow it to swivel if your mat works.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Still interested in either the park n move or the big red HF dolly that uses side stand. So any experience would be great to hear. I like the idea of being able to hit the center of garage, clean, cover and side it over towards the wall to give more door swing to my wife.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
We have a similar rise between the street and the garage. I do have a side parking area that I use to back out and to the left to get turned around. I'll try to get a pic if that'd be useful.
Is it possible that you could make a little maybe 4'x8' spot of concrete or pavers to one side or the other of your driveway for a similar usage? It could also be useful if you are someone who washes their motorcycle...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have two car wide driveway and sidewalk off at the top, we will see what I can figure out so it's not a 10 point turn. My slope starts right at the garage door, so I know it will be felt in balancing the bike and probably mean moving truck to the street. Just looking for an option. The dolly from HF is cheap enough, just hoping someone has tried it or the PnM and can give real world opinion.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Understood, just trying to offer suggestions. We have a 2 car wife concrete driveway with a 2 car parking area that is level on the left facing the house. Our slope starts as you back out too and about 10' the flat parking area starts.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Understood, just trying to offer suggestions. We have a 2 car wife concrete driveway with a 2 car parking area that is level on the left facing the house. Our slope starts as you back out too and about 10' the flat parking area starts.
Absolutely thanks for the suggestions

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
How long is your driveway? I think ours is about 50' and the road is roughly 5' lower than the garage floor. It's not too bad backing out, but I definitely don't just wing it. I go kinda slow truthfully.

Pulling in is easier, I just have to remember to hit the garage door opener on my keychain and I can usually pull right in.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe 35 foot Max my crew cab doesn't leave enough room for a second vehicle, never shot a grade on it but at least 4 foot. I am sure I could walk it down backwards slow and easy, but sure would have a little pucker factor each time. I wouldn't have thought twice about even 10 years ago but time and old injuries are making themselves known.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts