CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been tossing around the idea of picking up a new CTX1300 before they run out of 2014 production. I presently ride (solo) a Goldwing (love the comfort, but it's so BIG) and an FJR (love the power, but the riding position ain't doing much for my aching back). I'm hoping the CTX would be a good meld of the best attributes of both bikes.

Stopped by GoAZ the other day, they have no CTX1300's in stock, but said they could order one. However, they clearly aren't interested in doing so-- their OTD price for a Deluxe was $17,000+.

Stopped by Western Honda this morning, they have a red Deluxe on the floor-- and their OTD price was $13701. I'm thinking that may be a little high, but not by all that much... what say you guys?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome @flibmeister.
Not familiar with pricing out west. It sounds a little higher than many locations out east however, depending if that is true OTD or OTD plus some fees on top of that (sometimes what they say is OTD is different than what a customer thinks of as OTD... make sure). Same situation too, with the local dealer more interested in pushing msrp rather than actually selling anything. So I went elsewhere. VERY glad I did.

Your ideas follow right along with what I was thinking. Loved the comfort of the GL1500 but it was too big to enjoy for 85% of my riding. The ST1100 I rode after that was just the right size/weight but wrong seating position for my back (and the seat wasn't the best for my bum for the long haul). I find the CTX1300 JUST RIGHT! Comfy seat, right weight (even lighter once it's moving), and more nimble that the old GW. Low seat and low CoG. I would keep shopping and maybe consider going a bit of distance to get one if you have to. Though it is up to you how far you are willing to go for a good bike. I know some fly-n-ride across many states and others prefer to stay within a few hundred miles at most. I rode 145 miles one way for mine but would have gone farther if needed. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, and glad to hear that the CTX seems to meet your specs-- sounds like they're identical to mine, so that's encouraging!

That $13,701 is supposed to cover everything. I figure it breaks down to their advertised price of $11474, plus tax ($912.19), destination fee ($350), doc fee ($289), and the rest ($676) is dealer prep + title + registration.

I'm not opposed to fly-n-ride, I rode my Goldwing back 500 miles from Burbank, and my FJR 1500 miles from Portland. The dealer I'm shopping at is a destination dealer for a lot of out-of-state Goldwing purchasers, it's supposedly the largest volume Honda dealer east of the Mississippi; maybe I'll call a couple of dealer on the other side of the river for a quote!

·
Registered
279 Posts
most of the dealers in mn are not charging anything but bike, tax, title and lic
don't pay all those other charges
especially on a bike they think they want rid of

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm afraid that doc fees are pretty much a fact of life here in Arizona, I even had to pay one when I bought a GM car on the employee A-plan (the doc fee was waived on such purchases when I lived in Michigan and Illinois). Supposedly, there was an Arizona court case where it was determined that doc fees are legal, but only if equally charged to ALL customers of a particular dealership-- so if a dealer sells a vehicle and waives the doc fee, he could face a lawsuit from other customers who paid it.

I think there may be some truth to that. I know a guy that howled about the doc fee until the dealer agreed to lower the price of the car by the same amount-- but the doc fee itself remained on the invoice. Which tells me the guy was probably paying too much for the car to to begin with....

I don't have much problem with the destination fee, since it was disclosed in their internet ad. I had to pay that fee on my GM A-plan purchases, too, regardless of where I was.

The dealer prep fee, though, I think is garbage. It's like buying something off the menu in a restaurant, then having them charge extra to cook it. There are some things thar are just part of the cost of doing business, and I would think the cost of taking the bikes out of the crate and putting them together would be right up there with the rent, water, and electric, BWTFDIK.

All that said, the salesman called me to followup today, and I told him I was going to stick with the GW and FJR for now. Not saying I might not change my mind if he should call back with a significantly better deal, but I figure that by the time I added the tall windshield, trunk, and a few other necessary options, I was at or above 15k. I'm a patient fella-- when a used CTX1300 comes up within a reasonable distance, I'll be able to take a demo ride, and if I decide to buy it, I'll probably save about 5k.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are you trading the GW in? The fees seem about right and about the same as in the state of MD. I got my standard for $9k then all the fees as yours were similar, except I traded in my bike after stripping tons of add-ons off. I only paid tax on the few grand difference between the trade and cost of bike.... wasn't much. They also had a DLX which was about $1300 more. There are tons of these bikes on Cycle Trader for sale new from dealers. The area I'm in is about the lowest I've seen. $8490 for standards around the DC, Baltimore, MD area. Those other dealers charge crazy $1000 freight where mine charges $375 so it works out about the same anyhow.

My buddy wants one in FL, but they aren't seeing the prices we are here yet. Just go to cycle trader and narrow the search to your state and that should give you an idea and you might have a pretty good deal there. I will say this vehicle of mine was on their site for $10299 and I called them and said there are 5 within an hr and a half from $8490-$9k. Now I've bought and sold through them before over the years and they replied they wouldn't even entertain that low.... it was on clearance and as low as they would go. Next day he called and I said I was going to one of the other dealers and he said.... well I'm at $9k. So I guess just be prepared to walk away and not push that .... this is our best price... comment. Do your homework in the surrounding area... YMMV though because your area might not have the market value of the bike here as there were at least 5 avail somewhat locally for cheaper.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not planning to trade the GW (or the FJR) for now-- although I'd hope I love the CTX1300 so much that I'd eventually get rid of both. I was riding the FJR (2008, low miles, loaded, and pristine) when I stopped at the GoAZ dealership-- and he said he'd give me $4800 if I wanted to trade it in. That's pretty low, so between that and their 17k+ price, I don't think he really had any interest in selling me a CTX1300.

I was on the GW when I stopped at the other dealer, and he was actually relieved when I said wouldn't be trading it in-- he already has six of them on the lot.

His price is probably reasonable for this area, and it's a great deal when compared to MSRP. But when I add it all up, the premium for buying "new" is still pretty significant; at this point, I don't think the difference between what I've got and what I'd get is enough to convince me to pay it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I did really well on my trade. I had an 09 C-14 abs pushing 30k miles.... left some things on it and took some off. Got almost $6k for it when KBB says $5500. I've already sold over $500 in take offs already and stil have some for sale.

My rationale....My extended warranty was up and needed to pay $350 to extend it another 3 yrs (great deal).... also the valves were way past due and needed to go in the shop. So I figured a grand out of my pockets if I was gonna keep the C-14. So the CTX cost me $4k out of pocket... I take off about $2k of that since I figure I needed to spend money on the C-14 anyhow and I'll be a little over $1k in stuff I took off.... So like net $2k out of pocket and I'm into a new bike that retails for $16k.

I also love the bike. It was time to slow down and get more comfortable anyhow, after going on almost 4 yrs with the Connie, I wasn't riding it as much due to comfort. After one 3 hr ride on the CTX, I knew this bike is the perfect balance for me right now.... and the looks are growing on me.

Another thing to consider, around here anyhow.... on trades, they will offer you less as if it's Spring next yr already. If it doesn't sell in a couple weeks.... all the bikes go away and it's nothing put quads on the showroom floor.... even more reason I'm excited I got the deal I did. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sorry flibmiester I bought the last ctx1300 from go az last weekend they had it at a ridiculously low price $8500 before all those wonderful charges you mentioned so about $11,000 otd with tire protection. It was the only one they had so I sold my ctx700 and moved up to the big boy..lol Chris the salesman said CTX'S are not selling, this one was in there cellar of ahhh as he called it for almost 9 months. People are buying the bmw because financing is easier according to chris. I shopped around no one came close to this price so western Honda's price of 13700 otd isn't bad for deluxe mine is not the deluxe model. I bought my ctx700 from allen at western Honda a year ago he's a straight up good guy so keep dealing you may get a better price and there great to deal with. Hope this helped!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey, I sat on your bike during my visit to GoAZ last Friday! When I asked about the CTX1300, they said they only had one, a blue standard model, and it had a deposit on it. He took me out back so I could at least see one in the flesh, and I swung my leg over to check out the riding position. So, thanks for that!

He told me they sold it for $8500, because they'd had it around for awhile. I tried to talk him into ordering me a Deluxe and giving me a similar deal, but all he was willing to do was the $3000 off MSRP that Honda is offering-- and their fees took it up to 17k+ OTD.

Looks like a great machine, have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts