CTX 1300 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I guess after looking it up the web, or tether as it is called, may not come with all versions of the X-Grip. HERE is the linky for just the tether on Amazon. And here is a photo showing how to use it:

Cool, thanks. I will look into that. I do not think it came with my version of the X-grip, when I got it from the local Honda dealership.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My X-Grip unit arrived from Amazon already today, and after pulling it out of the box, I realize I made the right choice. It is awesome! Very well made, looks better than it does in photos, and works perfectly. Anxious to get it mounted! It did come with the tether webbing, and I will definitely use that for extra security. Appreciate all the advice!

·
Registered
276 Posts
RAM MOUNT! I use this with my Samsung Galaxy Note (A HUGE PHONE). The Google Maps GPS works great. Bluetooth to my helmet makes directions easy!

@HansenCTX which RAM set up did you get? I am a Note guy also.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
967 Posts
@HansenCTX which RAM set up did you get? I am a Note guy also.
If it has a name I am unaware of it. I walked into my local Cycle Gear and said I needed a quality mount for my phone/GPS. They gave me a bag, with a few different mounts (Handle bar), and the X-grip. The whole set up cost $50.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I have mounted the X-Grip on the bar. It occurred to me I should use a protective layer of cloth or rubber between the U-bolt and the bar to avoid scratching the bar. I rode up to my mechanic and asked if he had a scrap piece of inner tube, but of course he didn't. So I went to Advance Auto and asked them. They suggested perhaps trying a short length of fuel line hose. I bought a foot for $1.00 and it is a perfect solution. I just cut about 4", sliced it down the length of the line, and cut off just a little on the lengthwise edge so it doesn't stick out from the U-bolt too far and lightly grips the U-bolt curve. In case anyone is thinking in these terms later on. Also, I initially mounted it on the left side of the fork bolts, and it impeded my view of the speedometer. I moved it to the right so my only obstruction is the tach, which is far less critical. I couldn't find a position where it didn't obstruct me on the left, no matter how I tried to adjust the thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I finally got the phone to sync with the Bluetooth. It took me about 30 attempts for some reason. It just wasn't seeing the bike. I was overjoyed when it finally showed on the display. I cruised around with my music on yesterday. It's the first bike I have ever owned that played music, and it's a weird experience at times. You simply can't hear it above a few mph, but occasionally you hear a snippet of a song and it sounds so strange because (1) you're not used to music on a bike, and (2) the snippet you hear is so unexpected that you think it's environmental noise and sometimes it can be scary. Like, Pink Floyd's "Money", for example. All that metallic sound at the opening can sound like something entirely different while riding. Or a scream in any of a number of songs. I'm not sure I want to cruise with music on and may use it for stationary listening, for this reason. I do not like distractions while riding.

Reactions: OneMileAttaTime

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used a handlebar clamp by RAM to mount a Garmin NUVI 2597 GPS. Never a issue so far. Advantage of old fashioned GPS over phone is that the navigation still works without cellphone coverage.
Nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures.

FYI, re cell phone GPS, google maps has a feature that allows you to download maps for offline use. I even sometimes use it for places like around EWR airport (Newark NJ), with multiple bifurcations within a few feet, where the GPS doesn't react quick enough. Having the map downloaded seems to allow the app to react faster, despite having good cell signal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got the RAM "X-Grip" and it worked fine, except sometimes one of the rubber grips would hit the volume button and I had to keep moving it. This may not be a problem, depending on the phone and/or phone case you use. I then purchased the RAM universal unit shown (Revzilla) below and it works great. I also agree with keeping the phone on your person, in case of emergency, or using a helmet communication system that is connected to the phone. Hope this is helpful!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Didn't know exactly where to ask this question but the heading says cameras and mounts so I'll give it a go. I have a iPhone 8 and I'm using a Blackweb brand protective case. The case mfg says it's compatible with the no wire lay your phone on it chargers (don't know what they call that). I was online looking for one of those RAM style mounts with the X shaped arms and the rubber band thingy that holds the corners of the phone. I came across one on Amazon brand name "Twinto" which looks like the RAM mount and has the rubber band thingy but ALSO wireless charges your phone. There were a number of other brands Imestou, Leeplya, Rydonair, Krilgor. Some mention fast charging, 10w / 7.5w / 5w / 3.5w.
I'm not a techy guy and have no idea which would or wouldn't charge the iPhone 8 while in motion. Anyone used one of these style mounts/charger? Any help would be appreciated.
Ride safe all

·
Registered
599 Posts
@Stlburd2 "Wireless Charging" is the term you are looking for. While I do not specifically know about any of the brands you listed, I think the first step is to verify does your protective case actually work with wireless charging.

This might be helpful: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208078

Which states: "Qi-certified chargers available in the market that charge an iPhone with the latest version of iOS at rates up to 7.5 watts"

"Wireless charging uses magnetic induction to charge your iPhone. Don't place anything between your iPhone and the charger. Magnetic mounts, magnetic cases, or other objects between your iPhone and the charger might reduce performance or damage magnetic strips"

So you need a device that provides 7.5 watts.

Steps to take

1) phone + case to local store that has wireless chargers on display (best buy, or carrier store, Fry's, Microcenter)
test - make sure your case actually works with wireless charging

2) buy a style and model that provides(at least) 7.5 watts wireless charger

3) enjoy charging while riding.

note: I have used this item with good results:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32909086036.html

waterproof and works well with my Samsung Galaxy 8 and a thin case.

·
Super Moderator
5,521 Posts
@Stlburd2
I've known a few riders around who have used something like what @CaliChaos linked to and simply added that pad to a RAM X-Grip using double stick tape or Velcro or whatever worked for them.

Wireless charging would be the generic term but the official name of that kind of device is (as implied in the quote) a "Qi Charger" for your phone. You can look up cell or mobile phone Qi charger online to see many pad type chargers. And definitely test if they will work with your case on your phone. Otherwise you may have to go without the case to make it work.

I bought a modified holder very similar to the RAM X-Grip but with an extra set of "arms" to keep the holders from pushing the buttons on my phone. They don't have the exact item I ordered now but it is just like this one (mine came with 2 black web straps rather than 2 colors).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32827516876.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5da75b51JWDosW&algo_pvid=95827a35-42f3-4255-b7f1-3bec02dadbb3&algo_expid=95827a35-42f3-4255-b7f1-3bec02dadbb3-11&btsid=0ab6fab215815224093287300e9630&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

BTW- found the thread where this should be added. There may be some ideas for mounting found here. Also no harm to start a new thread in the future if you cannot find one that fits with what you want to ask.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
Just to throw in my 2 cents, @Stlburd2, Ive used a ram x mount since soon after I got my bike and simply run a usb to lightning cable to the phone. I charge my phone every night on a wireless charger and I do like that there are no wires involved at all. However I have to wonder if putting a charger like that on your bike will work as I really doubt any of them would be weather proof. If they aren't then I would guess you would need to either cover it or remove it a lot of the time. The simple wire plugged in will work rain or shine and I don't even use that unless I'm on a trip and want to use the bike to charge phone so I don't have to rely on aux battery charging at night. Course as we all know the phone eats up a lot more battery using google maps all the time, (or whatever you use).

Either this September or 2021 will see a new iPhone with no ports for charging. Then I'll have to come up with an idea like yours!

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
I found this Omni brand charger at WM for $10. I bought it to see if the phone would charge with the Blackweb case on the phone. They said it would. It works great. A little light on the pad changes from green to blue and the phone dings with the battery icon showing it’s charging. Now to just find a bike mount that will hold it case and all. Or as a last resort go the regular lightening cable.

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Check out slipgripcarmounts.com they have mounts for the iPhone 8. I have the Otter box case and found a mount for it there. You can get it with the Ram ball.

·
Premium Member
890 Posts
Finally I bought this combination phone mount charger. Says it’s 10w charging. My iPhone 8 in a Blackweb brand case fit perfectly in the mount. I did buy the silicone rubber band things separate but don’t know if they will be needed. The balls are a tad smaller than a Ram 1” ball. There is a ratchet wheel in the center to shorten/tighten the arms. A button to release and a on/off switch.
Now to warm the garage up a bit so I don’t break brittle cold plastic.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Being a new owner, I am just getting started here. When I bought my bike, I didn't have time to carefully research mounts for GPS and phones. I am now ready to get one. My phone is an LG G5 and I have a couple of older Garmin GPS units (not Zumo).

First, my phone is too big to fit inside either of the dinky pockets on the "tank". Those really should have been made larger. So that means I have to mount it.

My dealer showed me some mounts that had a heavy duty magnet base that held the unit in place pretty securely (it took quite a force to remove it from the display model). But I wondered about it not yielding any to vibration since there was no cushion at all without any plastic or rubber grip. I was also concerned about the long term effect of the magnet on the screens of a phone or GPS. Magnets can do a lot of damage over time.

I looked at the iOttie Active Edge which looks pretty cool, but it only lists specific phone models, although it looks like it would work on at least my phone.

So I thought I would consult the experts here. Is there a mount that provides easy install, easy mounting and removal of both a phone or a GPS, offers almost universal device accommodation, and gives it some cushion from bumps and vibration? If there isn't a universal one, I am more focused on mounting the phone.

Another issue I see is that, since the phone won't fit inside the tank pocket, it can only be charged with the pocket open and bouncing up and down while riding. Has anyone considered making a small hole on the edge of the pocket cover to allow a cable through it and still keep it closed? Seems like this could be done with a Dremel or similar tool.

Thanks for any advice.

Craig
My deluxe came with a 12V charging socket, so I don't need to worry about the fairing pocket. If you do not have such a socket on your bike, it can be easily retrofitted.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
52 Posts
[I used a RAM ball mounted to the handlebar stem (see arrow), and an USB charger connected to the battery which is very accessible, like many I have the Xgrip.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Finally I bought this combination phone mount charger. Says it’s 10w charging. My iPhone 8 in a Blackweb brand case fit perfectly in the mount. I did buy the silicone rubber band things separate but don’t know if they will be needed. The balls are a tad smaller than a Ram 1” ball. There is a ratchet wheel in the center to shorten/tighten the arms. A button to release and a on/off switch.
Now to warm the garage up a bit so I don’t break brittle cold plastic.
not sure why you wouldn't provide a direct link to the product... so I fixed that for you...

looks like there are plenty to choose from

and if you want to go more directly to the source:

just one example.. there are MANY MANY MANY more options

of course RAM makes one that does wireless charging:

21 - 40 of 41 Posts