CTX 1300 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked my new CTX1300. I went to a dealer about 70 miles. On the way home the left mirror cover fell off on the highway and was hanging. The panels around the speakers popped up. I didn't recall on the test drive that the handlebars obstructed the mirrors. I called the dealer upon arriving home and they came from Wisconsin to pick it up. It was returned to me within 48 hours. I took it for a spin around the block and the panels around the speakers came loose again. Trying to fix this myself, I saw how all these panels are connected with these black fasteners. I thought, how cheap has Honda become to make a motorcycle like this. The flimsy saddlebags are a joke. I have been riding for 45 years and have had more motorcycles than I will admit to. I have never seen a motorcycle like this. This is my fault, I should have done more research.

Yesterday i went out for a ride and stopped to fill up for the first time. Gas cap would not open. I called the service department and they tried to talk me through some alternatives. Nothing worked. Service writer said they have a had a few problems with this. I made it home on fumes. I called the dealer again and spoke to the GM. I told him to come pick up this piece of crap and bring a check for the entire amount for a refund. The dealer agreed. I am rid of this sorry excuse for a motorcycle.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Sorry you got a lemon. Most owners have not experienced these issues -- the non-opening gas cap is a first for me. Some have had issues with panels staying in place, in particular the one on the left side over the battery (myself and many others have not). The mirror obstruction can be mostly eliminated by adjusting the height of the bars, though not everyone is completely satisfied with that. The saddlebags are no worse than what I've had on two other bikes in my years -- some are better, some are worse. I've toted all kinds of crap in mine and they haven't had a hint of a problem. As for the body work fasteners, they're no different than what's on many other bikes that are more than a frame, tank and engine.

Admittedly, the gas cap issue is something you wouldn't see until your first trip to the pump. But the ill-fitting panels and unsatisfactory saddlebags are things you should have picked up on before plunking down any cash. Again, sorry for your bad experience; but there are just too many more satisfied owners than not to write this off as a "sorry excuse for a motorcycle". No bike is everyone's cup of tea, and the Honda brain trust themselves knew this bike would play to a very limited market. But buyers still have to take some responsibility for doing their homework before making purchases of this size.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Sounds like you were a victim of someone who didn't know how to assemble the motorcycle.

Did you like the performance? Handling? Riding position? Looks? Price? Fellow owners?:cool:

If so, tell the dealer to sell you a new one after he fully inspects it. Otherwise good luck finding a better motorcycle.

Reactions: willajabir

·
Registered
110 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I agree with bruceb; it may be more of a problem with a poor dealership than a poor motorcycle. I have not experienced any of the issues you wrote about. I wish you well in your search for a different bike.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I called the dealer again and spoke to the GM. I told him to come pick up this piece of crap and bring a check for the entire amount for a refund. The dealer agreed. I am rid of this sorry excuse for a motorcycle.
The dealer agreed after a call and only one previous service? There is either a lot more to your story or the dealer knew the bike was a problem before you called back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That doesn't sound like a lemon bike but a bike that wasn't assembled and prepped properly. No fault of Honda or something that should reflect the bike. Even mine had panels that didn't line up coming to find out it wasn't put on properly when they installed the battery. The handlebars are a common one. They have to be adjusted to the rider. The stock line doesn't cut it. The gas door is a dealer mistake on prep and assembly. The cap could of been from a pinched evap line.

All I know is mine is kickass...:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dealer agreed after a call and only one previous service? There is either a lot more to your story or the dealer knew the bike was a problem before you called back.
I agree, something smells very fishy. No dealer is going to give you a full refund that easy and soon... if at all.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have waited all week to post on this one
if that really happened then man I feel for ya
but this seems a lot like a ctx bashing
1 post and all problems that I have not heard yet from a lot of guys
seems fishy
however if it happened that really sucks
for the 8 or 9 grand I probably would have pulled all that crap plastic off and rode it as a naked
still would have been a great bike

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
You got a test ride? I plunked down nearly 18 grand before I even started it up. I guess I'm lucky. I am sorry for all the problems, but the mirror issue should have been noticed immediately during the test drive. It only takes a moment to lower the handlebars, and that would have been fixed right away. Those "crappy" saddlebags seem pretty fantastic to me. I regularly get $50 worth of groceries home on this bike with no issues. That includes heavy items like gallons of milk and adult beverages. The panels also should have been noticed right away, although I admit that I didn't notice the slight mismatch on mine. But it doesn't bother me in the least, it's just a little raised up. The plastic fasteners, as noted above, are standard-issue for lots of bikes with plastic body work. I'm not sure what the problem is with those. Your mirror cover came off? That's an easy fix, the dealer would have just had to tighten up the spring claw inside with a pair of pliers. Like others have said, it sounds like the person who did the assembly didn't know what they were doing. There must be more to the story, because all of these snarfargles are minor and easily solved. I would think that, at the most, the dealer would have just given you a few bucks for accessories and called it even. Sorry for your trouble, but you are missing out on a really awesome bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
My simple and twisted mind saw:
"... I probably would have pulled all that crap plastic off and rode it naked ..."
which scared the carp out of me.

Just sayin'.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.