CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put 5,200 miles on my machine in the past four months. In the past month or so, I have noticed pinging, i.e. predetonation at moderate acceleration in higher gears riding up mild inclines.

Yesterday I filled with premium gas instead of regular, and the ping went away. But, of course, Honda recommends regular gas for this engine, so I see the premium fuel as just a temp fix.

I ride in the Pacific NW in moderate temps. No mods to the engine. No other performance problems. Don't have enough miles in the premium tank to comment on engine response.

Do others have this problem? Perhaps I should check the plugs? Other suggestions? Ask the dealer to check under warranty?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ethanol content in your locally available gas?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I've had this happen with some brands of gas. Citgo fuel here causes the ping in mine. I've kept a log over the years with different vehicles and have had the results to change over time.
Quality, sources, mixtures can change over time.
edit: I had one bad experience many years ago with Amico. About 1 mile from fill up, car spit and sputter. I called the place I had just bought the fuel. He towed me in.
2 hours later, he found water in the fuel and then found out a water main had broken near his tanks and had contaminated his supply. Yes, he made it all good.
Meaning that things happen and until the first customer reports it, no one knows. But sometimes it's just a bad brand.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Haven't notice that at all on mine. I use ethanol all the time with absolutely no issues BTW. Very hard to find anything without around here. I've been averaging around 46-47 mpg on the commute to work, includes a few long stop lights with just sitting and idling.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honda manual indicates ethanol OK. As Bob said, try to find gas without ethanol...just recently available around here at all.

When I go out for a ride, I buy my gas from the most convenient station. Hence I have not considered the cause as bad gas from a station over a four week period.

I'm getting the same mileage as Bob and better on trips.

Once the ping started, I heard it reliably under load in gears 4 and 5.

Should I ask for new motorcycle, with all the upgrades? In Red.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just pulled the plugs.

#2 and #4 [right side] looked just fine.
#1 [front left] looked dark [soot, not oil] over about 180degrees on the side opposite where the ground electrode touches the base.
#3 [back left] looked a little dark all around the base, not as bad as #1 .

What would cause this?

• Valves clearance?
  • Coincidence that right side good, left side NG?
  • Am I leaning too much in a left turn?:350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I use premium at every chance. And I look for stations that have unleaded premium without ethanol. If you have pinging, down shift.
While Honda says they have changed the power curve , this bike still likes to run above 3000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use premium at every chance. And I look for stations that have unleaded premium without ethanol. If you have pinging, down shift.
While Honda says they have changed the power curve , this bike still likes to run above 3000 rpm.
Thanks. I usually hear the pinging above 3000 rpm under load. While I know I can downshift for more torque for the load, I think I should not hear predetonation with the rated gasoline.

Am I wrong? And should I see carbon on one or two plugs as above?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I think this bike runs just fine down to just below 2500 rpm under load. I constantly run at all the way down to 1900 rpm in town on very light loading and it's still pulling strong. I get no pinging using regular with ethanol. If you have pinging, premium should take care of it (that's the major reason for having premium available). But if that doesn't solve the pinging there is something other than the gas causing it. If it was the ST1300 I'd agree that you want to keep it over 3000 rpm, but this is not the ST. Only time I get much over 3000 rpm is in 5th gear in 55 mph or faster zones. :)

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I agree, under light loads you can easily ride in higher gears with no pinging. But I have noticed it myself in the bluffs around the mississippi, while climbing. usually a downshift is all it takes to relieve the pinging. And I do believe in running the higher octane
gas. But like others here have said, not all gas is created equal. Here in lots of areas (especially those with lakes and lots of boats)
most stations will have one pump with no ethanel gas, because the outboard mfgs. warn no to use it in their motors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts