CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to purchase a New CTX 1300 on March 3oth, however I've noticed that there appears to be slight indentations and scuffing on the outside front pipes (underneath) on both sides. I've mentioned this to the salesman on a couple of occasions and it's being downplayed as not being damaged because it's new out of the crate. before I hand over my cheque; I was wondering if existing owners could take a peak at the photo I took and comment on whether this is damage and whether or not I should ask to have it repaired before signing the final purchase agreement.

Attachments

· Registered
313 Posts
I was wondering if existing owners could take a peak at the photo I took and comment on whether this is damage and whether or not I should ask to have it repaired before signing the final purchase agreement.
Sure looks like damage to me. I would not let it stop me from buying the bike, and I probably would not make the dealer fix it since it would never really show, but I would ask them for a bit of "compensation".

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Your sales guy is being somewhat less than forthcoming. There are many reports of damage like this and others right out of the crate on these bikes. When I bought mine, my dealer informed me of them, as all three of his first deliveries had some kind of damage -- two, including mine, had similar dents in the exhaust. Mine also had minor scratches in one of the mirror trim pieces and another dent under one of the mufflers. The belief is that the shipping crate is either too small, or it positions the bike inside it too close to the bottom and sides to sufficiently protect everything. For whatever reason, it is far from uncommon, at least in the early shipments.

I started a thread on this here, if you want to take a look at what others are saying or have experienced. My recommendation: either have them document it and agree to replace the damaged parts whenever they can get replacements, or (and I hate to say this) don't buy the bike like it is.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!

· Registered
105 Posts
That's damaged. i don't know how it could say otherwise unless that is some new design feature none of us are aware of......is he saying that's not a problem because it came out of the crate that way.....he needs to give his head a shake.......

· Registered
110 Posts
That's obvious damage whether it came out of the crate that way or not. I'm surprised a dealer would even put a bike like that on a showroom floor, and I would be very wary of a salesperson trying to pass it off as insignificant. For what this bike cost buyers should expect them to be in pristine condition when they are delivered to them. I don't know where you live, but if there is another Honda dealer in a nearby town you may want to check and see if they have a CTX. If you are determined to buy this one either get the dealer to fix the problem(s) or give you a financial adjustment on the price.

· Registered
17 Posts
Yes that is damage. Mine had the same problem. Honda is aware of the crate damage on these bikes. It's possible the service technician forgot to file a claim when the bike arrived and was set up and that may be why the sales person is trying to get you to take the bike as is. Just a thought. I would pass on this bike unless they were willing to replace all the damaged parts.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
When I low sided my ST1100 I ended up with similar damage to the bottom of the right tailpipe cover. I didn't see it but the insurance inspector did and added it to the list of covered items to be replaced. Insurance paid me for that damaged part ($460 + the Honda labor rate to replace :D ). but since it was not anything that effected the performance nor appearance and in this case is aluminum would not corrode I left it and used the cash for other farkles on the bike. :D :D

Use this damage to your advantage, the dealer really has no choice if they want a sale. This pipe is not aluminum but chromed steel. Scratches will turn to rust eventually (being hot during riding helps but you park it sometime). So take it all into consideration.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks, just wanted to thanks everyone for their response to my concern regarding what appears to be pipe damage related to shipping or the crate itself. I have since purchased the bike and received a written acknowledgement on the Bill of Sale indicating that the dealer and Honda have agreed to order the and install replacement pipes, no charge. Now all we need are clear roads and melting snow banks.

· Premium Member
111 Posts
Isn't that one of the things we've heard about happening during shipping? Happens while in the crate.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Isn't that one of the things we've heard about happening during shipping? Happens while in the crate.
Yep, as was mentioned earlier in this thread...

(see post 3 for a link to the initial thread on this issue)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.