CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if there would be any interest in gathering somewhere in or near the Pacific North West. As much as I'd like to do a cross country trip and ride in the East again it just isn't in the cards now that I can only cover 300 or 400 miles a day. Unfortunately I can't spare 2 weeks for the round trip plus a few more days for the gathering. So something closer to home sounds good to me.
I've never organized a meet but I'm certainly willing to give it a try.
I'm thinking Oregon,Washington, Nor Cal, Northern Utah or even Idaho.
I'm pretty familiar with most of the roads in Or, Wa and North West Idaho. less so with the other areas.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
343 Posts
We're on the same page. I have been pondering a meetup in the Oregon area too. I was thinking Bend where we could do a day in the desert ish part and then a day to the coast and end up in Bandon (no loop the second day). Up for other options too.
Setting one location for hub and spoke rides like typical meetups would be nice but I dont think it is that necessary. Point A to Point B over a couple days might work. We dont have the motorcycle camps and cabins and stuff like back back east (our group camps tend to be primitive) and ride loops can be really long as there is a lot of distance out west. Point A to B would sorta preclude campers though. And, it would be harder with big numbers, which I would like to be a problem, but I dont think it will. We are spaced out here in the west (here come the comments from the rest of the country, lol)

Spring time would be good for me. Any others interested?

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Mebbe. I'm planning to ride to Death Valley and Zion NPs from Sequim, WA - 3,600 mi RT. Had planned this ride for last May as well as this week, but COVID. Just last night, I set new dates for May 2021 [cause I got nothin' else to do].

I could ride down to Bend on day 1, spend day 2 with you, then continue south on day 3. That would mean me arriving in Bend on Friday, because I want to hit Death Valley mid week. You may not want to go to Bend on the weekend.

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a plan. I'm in Battleground I could meet up with you on the way to Bend. Any idea yet on what route you'll be taking?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in! Would be coming from Port Townsend, WA. Bend would be a good, central location including Nor Cal riders. Any idea of when you are thinking?
Bruce mentioned May 2021, sounds like as good a time as any to me.

·
Registered
343 Posts
May would be a great time. Bruce, if you have the date you plan to be near Bend, let us know and we plan around that. You mentioned we may not want to be in Bend on the weekend. Is there a lot of people/traffic on weekend or ? Last time I was in Bend was in the early 90's and it was sleepy, and probably during the week then.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
Kewl. I'll arrive the evening of Friday, May 7, depart morning of Sunday, May 9.

Yeah, Bend ain't too much. Been through there a few times, but I don't recall. Guess I was sleeping then too.

Reactions: cefox

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
I would love to do this! It all depends on my living/job situation. Covid has impacted my job a lot... so planning this far ahead is challenging. Looks like a 39h drive, 2,595 miles (the shortest route). If I could make this work I might trailer the bike (although I dream of a cross country ride).

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I would love to do this! It all depends on my living/job situation. Covid has impacted my job a lot... so planning this far ahead is challenging. Looks like a 39h drive, 2,595 miles (the shortest route). If I could make this work I might trailer the bike (although I dream of a cross country ride).
Plus 250 miles to the coast [Bandon].

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
View attachment 46074
If at all possible I'd recommend riding. It's an experience you'll never forget.
But be forewarned either way you may be overcome by the desire to move to the PNW. That's how I ended up here.
After my little woman lost her battle with brain cancer I rode from KY to Virgina Beach to clear my head. Turned out that wasn't far enough, so I rode from there to Blaine WA.
Less than a year later I had sold the farm along with most of my crap and was living in Oregon. My son came to visit between semesters and the same thing happened to him.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
If at all possible I'd recommend riding. It's an experience you'll never forget.
But be forewarned either way you may be overcome by the desire to move to the PNW. That's how I ended up here.
After my little woman lost her battle with brain cancer I rode from KY to Virgina Beach to clear my head. Turned out that wasn't far enough, so I rode from there to Blaine WA.
Less than a year later I had sold the farm along with most of my crap and was living in Oregon. My son came to visit between semesters and the same thing happened to him.
Yeah man. And the sun always sets over the ocean, where it should.

Have mostly lived here since 1990. We left once, but came to our senses and quickly returned. Now we live in the extreme upper left corner of the lower 48 states.

"We won't get fooled again. No, no no."
Who?

·
Registered
343 Posts
You should do this! I understand though...I have been wanting to do the meetup in the mountains (smokies) but I just cant seem to make it work with a job and a wife. Thought of wife doing fly-in to Nashville in the middle of the trip (we both want to visit together) but the days add up for taking time off work. And I think the best time for that trip is May also as the storms have hit the last 2 years in the early October time frame back there which makes a desired return trip through the gulf/ New Orleans not so doable.
But I know YOU can do Oregon Chris! Would love to meet up!

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
So if I’m following this correctly your dates are arrive 5/7 ride 5/8 leave 5/9? Would anyone stay longer and ride the area a few days longer? I’m not familiar with the area and it would be a long trip for just one day of sight seeing/riding.
when we did CO I think we planned on three days riding the area. Made it worth the trip and we had locals leading the rides.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Kewl. I'll arrive the evening of Friday, May 7, depart morning of Sunday, May 9.

Yeah, Bend ain't too much. Been through there a few times, but I don't recall. Guess I was sleeping then too.
If my spring semester where I work does not make any changes, I will not be available May 7th - 8th. If my work does make changes (most likely due to Covid) they may not need me that weekend. Just looking ahead and dreaming.....

The only way I could make this work for me would be to take a lot of time off. Fingers crossed, but don't get your hopes up.

Peace,
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
So if I’m following this correctly your dates are arrive 5/7 ride 5/8 leave 5/9? Would anyone stay longer and ride the area a few days longer? I’m not familiar with the area and it would be a long trip for just one day of sight seeing/riding.
when we did CO I think we planned on three days riding the area. Made it worth the trip and we had locals leading the rides.
Yeah man. Plenty to see in all directions at a good time of year...tho the Oregon and northern CA coastline is still a bit rainy and damp. A bit early for the northern Cascades too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I know Bruce is just dropping in for a day of riding with us and then continuing on on his personal planned trip. I was thinking at least 2 days for the rest of us riding together, but I could make it 3. I was thinking a day doing a painted hills loop 1st day (with Bruce) then the next day ride with the rest of folks through the cascades to the coast(not loop). Early planning stages. Could change it up to 2 loops out of Bend and then the coast, or whatever. Bruce mentioned Cascades and coast could be less than optimal weather early May, which I did not want to dwell on. Late May or June would be safer bet, but hey. The bright side is it is before fire season!

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Have my condition , retired, it makes my schedule pretty flexible. So I’ll continue to watch this thread and see where it goes. Hope it works out.

·
Premium Member
1,002 Posts
I know Bruce is just dropping in for a day of riding with us and then continuing on on his personal planned trip. I was thinking at least 2 days for the rest of us riding together, but I could make it 3. I was thinking a day doing a painted hills loop 1st day (with Bruce) then the next day ride with the rest of folks through the cascades to the coast(not loop). Early planning stages. Could change it up to 2 loops out of Bend and then the coast, or whatever. Bruce mentioned Cascades and coast could be less than optimal weather early May, which I did not want to dwell on. Late May or June would be safer bet, but hey. The bright side is it is before fire season!
Yeah, weather better in June than May. Though coastal rain does not stop till July, when it's hot in eastern Oregon...and fires begin in earnest.

It's a crapshoot to be sure. I've ridden the Oregon Cascades in May for years. Sometimes beautiful, sometimes rainy. Less traffic in May than June.

Don't let my schedule impede your plans. I'm happy to join you. But this is part of a 14 day ride, so I won't suffer too much if you change the date.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts