CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in a major metropolitan area (Chicago) with a fair number of motorcyclists. I'm surprised that I have yet to see another CTX 1300. I know I got the first one in the area, but I find it hard to believe that I got the ONLY one! I'm just wondering how well these things are selling. Obviously it is in our best interest that Honda sells quite a few of these bikes, as it will mean the creation of aftermarket accessories--and so far those are virtually nonexistent. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? While it was incredibly cool to be the first one, I'm starting to feel kinda lonely...

· Registered
446 Posts
Welcome to the club, I'm the first CTX1300 rider in Ireland and I don't see anymore adding to that number anytime soon (Honda Ireland won't even import the bike).

I can't say it's much of a difference, coming from the Venture (of which, only 7 are still rolling in Ireland).

· Registered
797 Posts
I've not yet met another CTX1300 on the road.

I'll be visiting the Cherohala Skyway later this month. There will be hundreds of bikes in the area. Maybe I'll see one.

I have seen a few CTX700s on the road. Those came out a bit less than a year before our bikes.

I've done 500 mile days in the Smokies before and not seen an ST1100 or ST1300 out of the few hundred bikes on the roads. So I don't expect to see a CTX1300 on the road every day.

The first time I meet one, I'll wave a little higher.

Reactions: bob

· Premium Member
111 Posts
My thoughts exactly! But I got to say guys, we need to be patient with the market place. I also notice dealers are not up to speed on this bike. They don't know it, haven't ridden it and are not pushing it. I mean I walked in and the bikes are all lined up like a military parade shoulder to shoulder and you can't really see and inspect them.

So lets see in a year what the market place will tell us.

Just my 2 cents.

Rav

· Registered
69 Posts
I have yet to see one as well. One way to think about it, if a certain bike has been on the market for 5 years, there have been 60 months worth of sales. The CTX just has a few months of sales, so it may take a while.

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Here in central Iowa I know there are 4-5 ST1100 or ST1300 bikes in the area but don't see any while riding around town. Only maybe see one once a year in the local area. Only time I see more ST bikes is when I go to an STOC event. I almost saw another CTX1300 on my last STOC event trip but ... :D

· Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I almost saw another CTX1300 on my last STOC event trip but ... :D
Can I help it I'm allergic to tornadoes?

:520:

Ironically a riding buddy of mine and I are thinking of making a trip to that same area next month. Weather permitting, of course! :D

· Registered
2,179 Posts
I saw my first Fury on the road (or anywhere actually, other than a showroom floor) a couple of days ago, and that's been out for what, five years now?

A lot of Honda's bikes are just not high-volume. Around here, about 90% of the bikes on the road are HD's; about half of the rest are Gold Wings, and the rest is everything else. The best we can expect is for the CTX1300 to hopefully be a measurable part of the everything else some day. And I have absolutely no problem with that. ;)

· Premium Member
101 Posts
I am enjoying having a bike so unique. The CTX gets more looks & walk- a-rounds than any bike I've owned. Even my wife commented on its beauty yesterday. She never said that about the ST1300.
Nope, I have not seen another one either. Oh well ! Guess we are the.lucky few enjoying this incredibly awesome ride.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Stopped by the local Honda dealer on my way home from work today to finally pick up the rear shock spanner tool i ordered. Saw they have 3 CTX1300 bikes on the floor now, a blue-gray and a black deluxe, and a red standard!
Also, how long has the F6b been out? Saw my first one on the road today on my way home from my little errand!

I'm not worried about popularity, I also like being unique :)

· Registered
49 Posts
Not too sure on how popular these are going to be ,,More importantly neither are the dealers .

Has i told you all , one dealer i spoke to after ringing every week for weeks to see if it was in , I rang on a thurs , was told no its not in yet , I went past on the friday and just stopped in , and who and behold he had one there , when i asked why he said they did'nt he just shrugged and said , i must not of relized which one you were talking about ,
I asked him to price the backrest and luggage rack and windscreen , and there availability , , he said he'll get back to me that day , I took the wife to look at the bike a couple days later , asked him once again , to get me the prices and was told , i'll ring you back ,

Fast forward , 4 weeks he rings , gives me an exorbant price of $1000 dollars more than the reccomended price for the bike , and a price of $1400 for the back rest and rack ,, I tell him i'm not interested at them prices , and he goes in to a tirade about the amount of work he has put in for me and i'm rude for not buying .

He's told in no uncertain terms ,, Yeh right , you deny having the bike, i have to request and virtually beg you to get the accessories price , You take 4 weeks to get back to me and then your thousands of dollars over the top , yeh go **** yourself .

I went to another dealer , who does'nt have one and says they probably will get one in , but don't know when .

Dealer number 3 , does'nt have one , tells me there has been NO OTHER ENQUIRIES about the bike , and they doubt if they will get one ,

Dealer number 4 , Tells me NO WAY is he getting one , He says i doubt if it will be around long , , he reckons the st was unpopular and this will be the same , he then went into a tirade about Honda Aust , and how they keep making him look bad , by bringing out over priced bikes, and then after he sells a couple, they drop the prices and he's stuck with bikes , starts telling me he's thinking of changing over to another dealer .

Funny enough its a common theme that all the dealers will tell you, if there comfortable talking to you , its a definete common theme ,, mind you i have noticed it with the goldwing , the f65 , the vfr 1200 , and last year they were asking 22 grand for left over 11 ST;s and over night dropped the price to 17 grand, and cleared them all out within a month .. Pissing of my mate who paid 22 grand for his only a month or so before .

Really , not sure what this one is going to sell like , personaly i don't think it will be a good seller , but i don't care anyway , if i had one i would be happy with it , and probably glad i don't have what the masses have , same has with my rocket i enjoy people looking and admiring ,

The problem i have is NO one except, for the one clown i will not deal with , has one to sell me , and i would have to buy before i try , something i'm not prepared to do , I've spent so much money on trying to find the right bike and buying without trying , that i'm no longer willing to do it , If i cannot test ride i'm not buying ,

Only saving grace with that is , for me its get rid of my rocket and buy the ctx , Or get rid of my v strom and buy the new Tenere ,, And there lies another problem , i've been to 3 yammy dealers and there all telling me the same , the new 14 tenere is not available and will not be until yamaha off load all the left over tenere's , and my local dealer just sold last month a 2010 tenere , which he has had on the floor for nearly 3 years , .

So at this rate i suppose , i might get one or the other in 2015 Hopefully , ha ha

· Registered
313 Posts
You know what this means... We need to plan an event where we all gather together - then we will see lots of CTX1300s. Well, might be a bit of a difficult ride for our friends across the oceans...

Reactions: ManInBlack

· Registered
227 Posts
I got the first on in Jax, FL and a month later the dealer got two more in, which he still has today. I have ridden mine over 6500 miles so far and taken two 1500 mile trips to the mountains of NC, SC, Tenn and W Va and haven't seen another one yet either. Very strange to me. I thought they would sell like hotcakes. It does get a lot of attention wherever I go, though and that is kindo of fun.

· Registered
12 Posts
I live up in central BC, Canada. We have a fair amount of riders up in our area and I am sure I have the only CTX in the area right now. My bike was the 9th off the line in Canada. I love telling people my vin # ends in 000009. My bike is unique and I wouldn't want it any other way. It has started some great conversations with strangers so far!

· Registered
17 Posts
Unique and Blue

My blue deluxe is the only one around here as well. Central Texas, Fort Hood and surrounding. Plenty of back roads to bomb down and good speeds, but it's all 1945-tech Harleys and sports around here. I'm often mistaken for an F6B by the uninitiated. Loving it, though, but wish my backrest would show up, so I have a place to stick my helmet when it rains (neck side down). Wyrm

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
+1 on the getting looks thing. Also on being mistaken for the f6b! One guy kept insisting on calling it that new Gold Wing even after trying to educate him. I let it drop. I still like how I secure my helmet on the bike and it is perfect for when it happens to rain while I'm away from it. I lock the handlebars and use a small retracting combo lock with wire cable to secure it to the handlebar between the clamps and just set it right side up on top the top shelter. Been doing the same for years now with my ST1100.

Sent from my Nexus 7 tablet using the Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
37 Posts
At $17,499 msrp for the Deluxe.... and being a bit of a niche bike with it's styling and where it fits in the marketplace, it'll be a while before there's many on the road.
I do get a fair amount of compliments on the bike though.

I probably wouldn't have bought the bike at msrp.

· Registered
313 Posts
Its funny what moves people... The CTX1300 was the bike I had been waiting for Honda to make for something like 8 years - it is almost like the picture I had of it in my mind! I did not care what it cost. I had to have it. And the thing is, that is so unlike me in everything else I do...

· Premium Member
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I happened to go by my dealer on Saturday and had a chat with the sales rep who sold me the bike. It does, in fact, appear that I might still have the only CTX 1300 in the Chicago area. My dealer is the biggest one in that market and the only one they have sold so far was mine. They apparently traded one of their stock ones for another bike, but have a blue and a red remaining on the floor. He told me that everyone who test drives it loves it, but nobody is buying it.

I DO get lots of looks, and yes, I admit I love having a unique bike. So there are those perks. So far I've been managing without some of the aftermaket stuff I want, like ISO grips and saddlebag liners. I have managed to find substitutes for a few things. Luckily generic accessories work pretty well most of the time. I've been buying stuff at The Container Store and REI to pack small items in so that they don't end up rattling around in the saddlebag so much. Yesterday I bought an REI-brand medium duffel bag. I wish it was taller, but at least it fits pretty well lengthwise.

I'm still waiting to hear from the guy who bought the ISO grips with the end weights to see if he has any luck with them.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.