·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a few questions after being on your forum for a little while
first im am looking to trade off a bmw c650gt scooter
love this bike however bmw is a pain in the, well you know
bike is great on the highway and handles way better then one could think
kinda a don't knock it till ya try it thing. its a motorcycle with an automatic trans
so some of the same stuff you guys complain about on here are some of the same I have with the scooter
suspension, has anyone tried full hard on the rear to see if it is better for the long rides. scooter is allover the place until I put the rear to full preload then its like a dream some how it even fixes the fork
power
scooter has 60hp and 49lbs trq
no idea how the ctx wont have enough power
I just purchased a fz-07 for the fun stuff and that bike alone showed me what immediate torque is and it only has 50 lbs
torque is way more fun then hp, im getting to old to rev bikes to the moon for power. I have seen the torque curves on the ctx and it looks to be a blast to ride, unfortunately I cant go on a test ride due to snow here in mn
so I am kinda relying on you guys for information. so keep talking about the ride and power for me
base black $12699
del red $13999
I have a decision to make
thanks guys
man that was long

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum!

As for the bike's go-go, the consensus among most of us is that it's got plenty. The numbers are deceiving, especially when you compare peak HP and torque to that of the ST1300 from which it was born -- that's drawn a lot of criticism, but usually from people who haven't actually ridden it. In practice, peak HP and torque are both delivered at about 2000 RPM lower than each on the ST, which means you don't have to ride it like you hate it to get the most fun out of it (as you put it, you absolutely don't have to rev it to the moon).

I came from large-displacement twins (VTX1800 and Triumph Thunderbird), both of which have fairly insane torque down low (close to 100 lb/ft). The CTX1300 cannot compare to that. However, where they differ is that the CTX has a longer and flatter torque curve (as you've undoubtedly seen on the dyno charts), which means less peak thump, but it stretches over a much wider RPM range. At my age and for my riding style, I find this infinitely more desirable. It won't set records in the 1/4-mile, but it ain't no slouch, either.

That arm-stretching torque is the one thing I was concerned that I might miss before buying this bike. With all the other benefits and advantages of the 1300 V-4, I have to say I really don't miss it. It has enough grunt to get you in trouble if you're not careful, but you have to be extremely not careful compared to sport bikes or large displacement torque-monsters. All in all, it's probably the most enjoyable bike to ride that I've owned, between size, weight, comfort, power, responsiveness and handling.

One of the more common complaints you'll see here on the forum is the suspension. Personally, I don't find it that bad, although I think the front could be softened up a bit to make it a little less harsh over bumpy and washboard pavement. It does soften up over time, but it could still be better. With the longer than average handlebars, occasional big bumps in the road translate to jolts to your hands and arms. Again, I find this very occasional, not significantly worse than other bikes I've owned, and certainly not enough for me to look for anything else. But if you're overly finicky about ride smoothness, it's something to keep in mind when you do get to take a test drive.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Yeah, what @sleepngbear (Ed) said. Since selling my GW some years ago I'd been searching for a replacement for comfort in LD travel without all the bulk. The CTX1300 meets all requirements for me. Last spring I even travelled the same bumpy road on both my ST1100 and this CTX to compare and really couldn't tell much difference. First time I thought the ST was a very little bit better, second time I thought the CTX was. Love how this bike runs so smoothly and convincingly all the way up to Interstate speeds and it's so comfy going tank to tank to tank on the trips I've taken it on so far. Can't say the same for the old ST.

Hope the winter is short for you and the right deal shows up at the right time. :)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey @gtmn,
Welcome.
I find the CTX a bit bulky in comparison to the scoots. @bob and I both had the Burgman 650, but again each experience is different. I like the Beemer 650gt. It is really kewl.
But, dealers, support, and your own expectations can change what is good for one rider into a nightmare for another.
The CTX isn't as good (to me) on the suspension as the V-Star bikes. But it is still ok for me. I live on a gravel tar road and am used to bumpy. If I had the $$, I'd custom build one exactly the way I wanted, but then it probably wouldn't be marketable.
Coming from the Beemer 650gt, I think the bulky feeling and height will be more of a factor than the suspension.
That's a good deal too. I got $100 less, but that was using the Honda bonus bucks to make it that cheap. Another good thing is the fact that Honda dealers are more plentiful, so if you have a bad experience with one, you could probably find another not to far away.
So, you know you want it and going to get it. Did we help you enough or do you need more encouragement? :cool:

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Welcome!
I agree with what everyone else said. I see that you have a question about the suspension, and I have to say that I don't have any problems at all with it. Not long after I got it, I increased the rear preload to accommodate both my wife and me, and I never felt the need to take it down. It's on the stiffest setting, and I leave it there. Then again, I'm over 300 pounds, so... you might want to play around with that a bit. This bike is the Goldilocks bike, as far as I'm concerned. It hits right in the middle of extremes. If you want a bike that will let the miles melt away, this is it. I did a 16-hour day in the saddle over the summer and I would have been ready to do it again the next day. Have fun, and let us know if you adopt one! :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
proud new owner

done deal
out goes 2014 bmw c650 gt gret bike crap company to deal with
in 2014 standard black ctx1300
love the black with the silver wheels
looks kinda like old school mags and I dig it
doubt ill miss the deluxe options
cant wait to ride but it is December in mn soooooooo
looking forward to lots of forum time

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Congrats!!!:smiley-party0005:
Well, you got time for mods now and $$$ :rolleyes:
Where is the photo?
Did you ride it home or did it ride home?
Did you get any options at the dealer? (tall shield, rack, etc)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
20 degs today n mn so not home yet
tall shield, rear rack and centerstand
pics to come later
but will look a lot like this one

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks a lot everybody
looking forward to getting the bike might be mid 30s this week and maybe warmer so I can go for a ride

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
my wife loves her CTX. We are pretty aggressive riders and this bike hugs the curves like a roller coaster. Scraping the pegs on a tight 90 degree turn is why she loves this bike.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny how this all worked out i wasnt looking for a bike but was looking on craigs list cause thats what i do all day long. Found a dealer with winter storage and thought huh i should just put it away for winter, called and dropped bike off. Week later i was like, i wonder what bikes those guys carry. Ah man ctx1300 for 12700???????. I had looked at that bike before but was way to much
called to find out what he would give me for trade and done deal. New owner of a ctx.
I guess thats why they have winter storage at dealers so you can bike shop. Worked on me, and its december in mn. I cant even ride for like 4 months

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
its home

37 deg outside so I took her home
a little cold on the fingertips but overall not that bad
what a beast, you can never tell how big they are till your off and rolling
really nice ride, stable on the highway 70 to 80 mph
I know ha at 37 degrees im nuts or what
power feels as if the bike doesn't know im on it. seems unaffected
should be great 2 up
really nice bike to ride

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congratulations from Oz,
I had to goggle mn to find out where you are:)
It's a great bike on the highway, come to think of it it's great around town, on the bends and I find it easy to park, it's fun to ride anywhere even down under.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
got her home

this is what she looks like
to cold out to get some great outside shots
but here she is and one of the little brother fz-07
ya have to have something for riding wheelies don't ya
even at 48yrs old

·
Registered