CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I will be a new rider for all intents and purposes. I haven't ridden since college and I am 41 now. I am a big guy, 300 lbs 5' 11" oilfield guy! I am wondering if the CTX1300 would be a good choice for me. I live in the mountains in the Big Bend Region of Texas. I want something easy to control that will be comfortable for 4-6 hr rides. Is it advisable to get the 700 instead being new? I am not a speed freak guy that is going to twist the throttle wide open. Just want to unwind on the weekends down here!!!

Thanks guys and gals!!!

·
Registered
437 Posts
How D---:smile:

Your straightforward question is one that deserves a straightforward reply, but....

There are soooo many factors in determining what bike is a "good fit" for any individual, regardless of experience level or physique.

In addition to your riding hiatus and physical attributes, you have to consider your mission profile: what do you plan to do with the bike? Recreate? Commute? Tour? Do you have a S/O whom you plan to put on the pillion seat?

Do you have any physical limitations (arthritic feet, knees, shoulders, etc?)

Have you ever taken a riding course such as MSF? Recently?

My thoughts are that you should ease back into riding by re-buffing your atrophied skills by completing a riding course. Just the feel of those lightweight bikes might sharpen your focus on how your "ideal" bike should look, feel, handle, etc.

Once you've gotten back into the mechanics of riding, you'll be better equipped to evaluate the size and type of bike you want and/or need.

In any case, some people can jump on an 800lb bike and handle it like a Schwinn; some people can't adjust to a 250cc Rebel. Only you can honestly assess your aptitudes.

The CTX1300 is a 725lb bike when it's in fighting trim. It's well balanced (unlike me:eek:). Should it be your re-starter? Only you can make that determination.

Best of luck in your deliberations.

...and welcome to the forum:smile:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Having just switched from an NC700x (same engine as the CTX700, just different ergonomics) to the CTX1300, I will say I like the CTX much better. It feels more stable on the open road with the added weight and larger engine. Oddly, I find the CTX handles better than the NC, at least for me. I would suggest you find a dealer where you can take a CTX for a test ride and then you would know more about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks so much! I am definitely going to take the safety class at Sul Ross University. The sole purpose of the bike is to recreate! I may take an overnight trip, but I have no plans to go full on tour! I do want to take the wife with me sometimes too! No physical issues that limit me as of yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! The stability you are talking about is what want!!! Will definitely do the test ride; however, we live in a geographical nightmare! ( 3+ hours from any dealer period ). The plus is that I have great places to ride!!!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I always recommend that new and returning riders start with a used bike. Nearly all new and returning riders drop the bike at least once in a parking lot. It's best to scratch up an older bike. Then after a couple of years you can move to the CTX1300.

I have owned a CTX700D. I currently own two CTX1300s. The 700 puts the rider's feet way out front. That can be a problem for someone with limited experience. The 700 is available with a DCT (automatic transmission). That can be great for someone with limited experience.

Both bikes carry the weight low for better balance. At 300 lbs you may find the 700 a bit underpowered once you get used to it. I think if you bought the 700 you'd want to trade up after one or two years.

I'd recommend that you read through the old posts on this forum and also at Honda CTX700 Forum

Good luck and welcome!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Howdy, Bingbendtx! And welcome!
I'm 6'0" and I weigh 330 pounds. Yes, I know. I'm huge. This bike fits me like a glove, better than any bike I've ever ridden. There are two possible pieces of advice here.
#1- Take (or re-take) the MSF course and get this bike because it's perfect. This is problematic because the CTX1300 is a big bike and, depending on how much you rode in college, might be a challenge.
#2- Take (or re-take) the MSF course and get a $2000 used bike to refresh your skills. You could then get the CTX1300 once you are comfortable. The advantage to getting an older used bike is that it will hardly depreciate at all, and in fact you could make a few bucks on reselling it if your timing/luck is right.
Good luck, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is one postscript I would add for your overall consideration. It has nothing to do with safety or use, but if you value your dollars, you might want to include in your deliberations.

The CTX series is a very polarizing bike and its pricing has been--to say the least--volatile. You will see a great deal of enthusiasm for the bike here (go figure--it's the 1300 forum:smile:)--but most posters' enthusiasm derive from comparing it to to their own extensive ownership/riding history. In short, they have a historical variety of bikes with which to compare its ride, handling, stability, etc. By your own admission, you do not.

You will also see in several posts, that last year CTX owners paid $15 - $17,000 for their bikes. This year Honda has offered significant incentives and the average price is closer to $12000. This has caused some consternation among the early purchasers. For those of us buying at the $12000 price point, we might also have some chagrin should the same bike in 6 or 12 months time be selling for $8-$9000--not out of the question as you see some former "premium" models like the $15000 Fury available new today between $7500-$9000 as Honda begins to phase them out.

But the difference in situations is that those with extensive bike ownership histories went into the market with eyes wide open and some awareness of the fact that it's always a coin toss when you purchase a first year/ground-breaking model of anything.

If you decide on a CTX1300 and after a few months are disappointed with your choice, you may find it difficult or impossible to sell or reasonably trade for another model that may better suit you.

Explore your options carefully and then, as my uncle used to say: "Make haste slowly".

Good luck and ride safe:wink:

·
Registered
227 Posts
These guys are all correct and I know it doesn't make your decision easy because the replies are all over the place, but this is an easy bike to ride. Very smooth clutch, great brakes, comfortable to ride long distances at one time even with the stock seat. But best of all to me is that it handles the mountains great. Very manuverable and with all the torgue you are not shifting up and down all the time to climb or go around turns. It just pulls strong from low RPM all the way to the redline and if you are in a gear a little too high, it just accelerates a little slower, but it still accelerates. It is a very nice mountain riding bike.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I do want to take the wife with me sometimes too!

The weight limit for this motorcycle with all luggage and accessories and your riding gear is 423 lbs. Figure 15lbs for the backrest for the missus and you're down to about 400lbs.

Can you ride two up safely at that limit? And will she be comfortable on that back seat with the suspension weighed down to the max?

If not, you're looking at a touring motorcycle like the Goldwing, Victory Vision, BMW KLR1600T, or some kinda Harley with a lot of letters. All big heavy formidable bikes built for your purpose, but that require some skills to manage.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I do want to take the wife with me sometimes too!

The weight limit for this motorcycle with all luggage and accessories and your riding gear is 423 lbs. Figure 15lbs for the backrest for the missus and you're down to about 400lbs.

Can you ride two up safely at that limit? And will she be comfortable on that back seat with the suspension weighed down to the max?

If not, you're looking at a touring motorcycle like the Goldwing, Victory Vision, BMW KLR1600T, or some kinda Harley with a lot of letters. All big heavy formidable bikes built for your purpose, but that require some skills to manage.
The CTX should easily be able to handle you and your wife. I always consider those weight limits just guidelines. A few lbs either way isn't going to cause it to all of a sudden collapse. You can always adjust the preload on the rear shocks to keep it from bottoming out, and be sure your tires are up to the right pressure (which is a good idea anyway). And just be extra cautious when riding 2-up -- brake earlier, plan for slower corners, all that stuff.

BUT -- I would strongly suggest putting in a lot of solo riding time and getting your sea legs back before taking a passenger if it's been that long since you've ridden.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys thanks so much for all the comments!!! You have all been really helpful! I have a lot to chew on now. I am not in a rush to buy so your advice will be weighed heavily before I make any decision! Again, thanks so much for your help!!!

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Congrats, Bigbendtx! I see you got the correct color! :p
Have fun, and thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome to the club! I'm glad that all the advice you got didn't scare you off :smiley-happy0034: I know you are being careful and taking it slow, but have you tried two up riding yet?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh I see you already put on the kit. How do you like it? I bought the kit but I have not installed it. Any information on how you like it would be appreciated. Also can you post a couple more pictures from the front of your bike of the LED kit?

Thanks,

Tony

1 - 20 of 25 Posts