CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had this problem? my bike has never fallen or leaned or touched hardly to somewhere but these plastics became like on photos by themselves?

any comments

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
:eek: WOW, seems like the black parts are shrinking!? I had this on the left side after a couple of weeks , though not that extreme. It starts on the right side as well, but very slowly. I will print these pictures and show them to my dealer. Curious what his comment will be.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I'm seeing this on my Red CTX. Have since day one. Dealer replaced the center piece for me right after delivery hoping the new piece would have a longer tab.
I think the little tabs on the top of the piece are too short. Maybe Honda's new pieces, talked about in the previous thread, will be better.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When you take your bike in for service the shop will open the left panel to get to the battery to disconnect the negative connection. They may have not put it together correctly. You can open it yourself and then put it back together.

Tony

·
Registered
81 Posts
has anyone had this problem? my bike has never fallen or leaned or touched hardly to somewhere but these plastics became like on photos by themselves?

any comments
Same thing happened to mine. What I found was this: There is a rectangular hole that allows the male clip to be pushed through to secure the top shelter piece (black plastic trim part above the battery). I added a green arrow pointing to the tab. In my instance, the tab with the hole is weaker than the male clip on the top shelter. When the dealer installed the battery, the male clip only pushed down on the tab. It did not break, but it sort of floated on top and did not engage. What I ended up doing was to remove the small storage compartment from that side, reach under and push the clip through the tab with my fingers. I had to install the storage compartment last, which was tricky. I managed to get it done without breaking or scratching anything, but I did have to be careful not to bend or move the plastic pieces beyond their limits in doing so. In my case, it was just the battery side that was misaligned, but I suspect the same could happen to the other side as well. Hope this helps, and good luck...

Attachments

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is exactly the problem discussed in Bob's original thread called "The broken tab story." It seems possible that the tab can be bent but not totally broken, or the plastics just not quite aligned so that the tabs are not engaged, due to temperature changes or just poor assembly.

It also seems far more common on the left side than the right, however, likely due to the frequency with which people/dealers access the battery (which is on the left).

Lazelod's suggestion sounds great if you find the tabs are unbroken. If they are broken, owners in the USA have had luck getting the panels with the broken tabs (called the "middle cowl") replaced as warranty items. I'm guessing you're not in the USA since your CTX is white. :)

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts

any comments
That is the problem I referred to in my thread from last spring HERE. It has happened for some on both sides, but most have had the problem on the left.
That tab is often broken when the middle cowl is installed and care is not taken to get the tab around the starter relay, thus breaking it. Some of those tabs were malformed in the molds. And some were broken by the battery or top cover being pushed down on it with too much force while the pin was misaligned with that rectangular hole. Took my dealer three orders to get a middle cowl that wasn't broken from the factory. Proves it is a warranty problem.

Oh, And welcome to the forum @aterkut. I know you've been a member here for a while but this it the first post I've seen you submit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tnx for your great advices;

i've never tried to reach to battery and also i'm using that small boxes at both sides they are always closed - actually i dont leave my bike on dorect sunlight and keeping it in my garage alltime - but it is weird to see that those black plastic parts are shrinking by the time

i've talked with my local dealer and they approved to change them according to guarantee conditions - how ever i may need to wait for a while, because in here (Turkey) Honda brand is not so friendly with accessories and i'm sure that there are nearly 20-30 ctx's all over country so getting spareparts will not be so quick and easy :)

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
My left side has never been correct since new. Recently when the cruise control was fitted the guy who installed it said that a plastic locating arm on the main left panel was partly broken and needed to be plastic welded or secured. Luckily my Honda mechanic had already picked up on it and ordered a complete new cover. I had the oil changed yesterday and the new panel was fitted. Now both left and right fit perfectly. Maybe we all need to be very careful when dismantling the left side now knowing how fragile it is. Once in place it seems to be fine. I'm packing today and heading of for a 7 day ride tomorrow so it will be interesting to see if it holds firm. Cheers Roger.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I had the same issue when I bought the bike on the left side. After I took everything apart and put it back together to install the sound system, I apparently fixed the issue. I think it just needed to be put back together correctly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts