CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Progressive Suspension. I talked to the Tech and asked him which rear shocks they recommend for the CTX1300. He said they didn't have anything to offer for these bikes. I told him that I had read on our site that some people had brought their bikes to their shop and had both the front suspension and the rear shocks replaced. He said that very well might be but they don't have a product that they can recommend for these bikes. Very strange. I quess I will keep looking for a better rear shock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I messaged a guy on ebay selling shocks, he has 10.5 listed so I asked about only dropping bike about an inch and he replied.

"Yes we have 11. 25 and 11.5. Call me 7196833838" So I plan to call him. If I can lower 1 inch in back and lower forks an inch in tree I think I will.

·
Super Moderator
2,177 Posts
Somewhere in another thread on this site someone learned that VTX1300 shocks would work on the CTX1300. You just need to be sure to get the correct height, which I can't recall at the moment for the CTX. But there were a number of options for the VTX both longer and shorter than stock.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ok talked to guys, MB products and told me the 11.25 will drop the ctx about.1", should be enough to flat foot for me and yet not change enough to mess with.suspension. And I will drop forks same. This bike has enough cleRance to do this, as I have taken it low enough to have only 1/8" chicken strips and never touched pegs. I really did not think I could get bike so low.

Starting to feel better about my purchase now that I can modify its height a little. My triumph street triple r was 31" , but was only 410# wet. 29" for a guy with.29-30" inseam needs a little help with 725#.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like there are lots of comments on the rear shocks for the CTX1300 but can't seem to sort out what exactly what problem is being addressed . For me I find the rear suspension to be to harsh, and rough road , of which there are plenty around, the bike jolts me every time. I read about changing to the VTX shocks but nothing really about how this softens the ride, It feels to me like the dampening in the CTX shocks does not fit the bike. Could even be the shock oil is to thick. I would be glad to invest in a set of VTX shocks if I could soften the damping up. I have tried all the settings on the shocks but still does not help. I sure like the bike, but just can't live with the ride. I am not going to spent thousands of dollars to solve my issue but sure would like to hear from someone that has changed to something like the VTX shocks and it softened the ride. Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
The MB Products shocks (about $200) are a significant improvement over stock and you do indeed get a softer ride. The standard ones they offer are 11.50 inches. Stock is 12 inches. I've had mine on the bike now for about a year. However, when riding two up (about 310 lbs total) I had to turn up the preload three notches to keep them from bottoming out. And of course at that setting, with one up, the ride is less soft. It is a compromise but you can't beat the price. At some point in time I may spring (no pun) for some Progressive 444's or maybe even the Hyperpro shocks. the Hyperpro shocks for this bike are $899. The VTX version of the Progressive 444's (12 inch) is about $500. We really need an in-depth review of the VTX shocks and how they work on the CTX.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I have used the MB shocks and they are much better. How ever, I opted to step up to the Hyper pro for riding two up and fully loaded (traveling two up with loaded bags & trunk) Hasn't bottomed out , but I have a very firm ride one up. Sooo???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks flytrap that is the kind of information I was looking for. I have a Gold Wing that I ride two up with the wife, The CTX is for me on solo rides, so this sounds like the fix I was looking for. I will look at the MB shocks for sure.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My MB 11.25 are on the way. I'll report back on the ride. I too was surprised by the rough ride, having come from a sport bike even. Atleast it had full control, comp and rebound, ours got NODDA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have been following some threads on here, as I also have an issue with my CTX suspension. I am 5'4", female, and it is difficult for me to feel confident any place except flat ground. I just can't reach the ground. Have already modified the seat, but it is the width that is the problem. I am curious about the MB shocks and did they lower your bike at all. I would like mine to lower at least an inch, I think it will still corner OK in the tight curves. What is your opinion? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have about 40,000 miles on Progressive 430's. Ride and handeling is far superior to the stock shocks. I chose 430's becouse they mount either way, so you can put the adjuster on the bottom. That eliminates removing the plastic to make adjustmants. I'm 200 lbs and rarely have a passenger, but I moto camp and bring lots of stuff. adjusted to the #2 position. Mounted WITHOUT metal bushings, with no wear on the rubber bushings to date. Part number for the 12inch shock is 430 - 4229B which is a black shock with 210/250 springs......For anyone wanting to lower the bike this shock is also available as a 11 1/2 inch shock. The original Honda shock is actually slightly longer than 12inch. If you mount a shock that is 1/2 inch shorter than stock ,the bike actually drops more than 1/2inch, because of the angles involved and because the axle is located to the rear of where the shock is mounted. I,m guessing that a 1inch shorter shock might be too much shorter. Also I would lower the frame in the forks 1/4inch at a time, and test ride. Lowering the bike also affects the sidestand and centerstand operation. Been some time but I seem to remember paying about $450 for the Progressive;s. Hope this may help someone. Otto

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
Yes, Otto is correct. the stock honda shock is shorter than the 12". Be aware, the MB shock does provide a better ride than the stock Honda shock. However NOTE I had the part of the MB shock that provides your adjustment wear out. and my shocks no longer are able to adjust. sent pics out to MB and never got a reply. I now have progressives on. I have the full 12 inch shocks and they are working well. prehaps a little harsh for me alone , but on #3 setting I rarely bottom out two up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Anybody still using Progressive 430 S how are they doing what torque did you use on the rubber bushings without using the metal spacer do you think these are better than stock worth purchasing

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
My Progressive shocks are the 412 cruiser shocks. They are working well after quite a few miles. Better buy than the Hyper-pro that I spent a grand for. I may have stayed with the hyper-pro but when I called and asked for a lighter spring, they gave me a discusted reply , That I didn't know how to set them. So I now have a set sitting around doing nothing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
What is your part number for you 412 do you have to mount without the metal spacers like the 430 I too was considering the more expensive shocks

1 - 20 of 38 Posts