CTX 1300 Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ordered 430 today have to wait month or 2 as I have snow up here and a madstad to replace ce bail-16 and some floorboards with the 3/4 inch step down

·
Registered
19 Posts
@ember
I think this post will be of help:
https://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/wheels-tires-suspension/16882-how-lower.html#post171082

basically the factory rear shock is 12" in length.. if you get a 11" rear shock and lower the front fork on the triple tree, you can lower the bike by 1" and yest still have very decent control on the corners.
Thanks for the suggesting the link, I am going to get in touch with MB, haven't found any bike I like better,

(except for my Magna}
Vicki

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I got my shocks today I went to install them and of course they would not fit over the bushings that are mounted to the top on the frame and the bottom one so I had to run around all day looking for a 5/8 drill bit with a reduced Shank drilled them out and now they fit and snugged the screws down as tight as I could by hand

·
Registered
357 Posts
Well I got my shocks today I went to install them and of course they would not fit over the bushings that are mounted to the top on the frame and the bottom one so I had to run around all day looking for a 5/8 drill bit with a reduced Shank drilled them out and now they fit and snugged the screws down as tight as I could by hand
Tnirro, For the life of me I cant see why you had to do any drilling with a 5/8 bit. There is no drilling of any kind to install those shocks. Are you still talking about the Progressive 430 shocks?

·
Registered
67 Posts
The new shock would not fit over the top metal bushing nor the bottom one I ordered 430-4229b and trust me I tried to grease them to get it on old shock was about 16mn and the new ones were like 14 point something millimeters. I think I remember somebody else ordered the 444 and then they had to send back also I think they might be using a more polyurethane bushing now versus a more rubbery bushing earlier model trust me I tried for about an hour to get the bottom one and took it off the frame and still could not get it in or the top one neither and the only place that had one drill bit for me cost me thirty bucks LOL I use my micrometer to get those measurements

·
Registered
67 Posts
Also the metal sleeves they give you they fit inside my old shock easily so like you said they should have slid right on the frame or maybe I got some type of bad size bushings in mine

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Also the metal sleeves they give you they fit inside my old shock easily so like you said they should have slid right on the frame or maybe I got some type of bad size bushings in mine

Any update? did you return them or manage to installed them?

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry for the late reply I've been real busy I did manage to install them I also called Progressive they sent me new bushings they slid over the frame and those ones fit but I left the old ones in that I drilled out for now if they go bad because I drilled them out I have the replacement they also said they use a harder type of rubber now more nylon plastic I also took it for a ride today in 30 degree weather and 30 mile per hour gust it Road really nice also put on my Oxford heated grips and my madstad windshield with their new design as we still have some snow up here finally melted and got some rain to wash the salt away to test run I think I like the shocks better than stock I also like the Mad stad better than my givi and cee Bailey with vent and Honda tall

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
For Progressive 430s: what was the process for removing stock and installing these? Side stand, center stand, jack under the rear, etc? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Put the CTX on my lift, secured front tire and used 4 straps. Took a small jack and lifted with a scrap 2x4 under the center stand mount to get the rear wheel off the deck about 1/2". Did one at a time without issue.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Went for a ride to see how the new shocks feel with the default setup and got a compliment on the CTX at a stop light.

I see with the 430s the adjustments are by "lines" instead of preset options so I'll need to pay attention to that. I do like having the ability to mount upside down to make those assignments easier.

Anyone with 430s care to comment on their settings? As I'm not a small person I ordered the heavy duty shocks spring version. On the default seeing it was kinda bouncy even hitting road imperfections- much nicer than the "kick in the butt" reactions from the stock shocks. I'm going to adjust to the first line and see how that feels, I'll be riding to work Tuesday- 45 miles of mostly I-95 each way.

Biggest difference so far is having to use the stock seat, not the most comfortable for me. Too soft, I really prefer the Corbin

·
Registered
27 Posts
Folks

I have read the posts and i think that the Progressive Shocks that fit are the 430-4229b . Has anyone mounted another progressive shock set on our bike ?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts