CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am considering purchasing one of these bikes. Bit of a back story, current ride is a 2018 V-Strom 1000. It works great for 2up day rides but on our longer trips the luggage digs into my wifes legs, so bad that last year we wound up leaving them at a hotel and picking them up 2 weeks later, doing the trip with almost no change of clothes, cooking supplies, etc.

1. How is the pillion comfort on this bike?
2. Does it make a good long distance touring bike?
3. How much leg room does the rider have? I am 6'3,I was originally looking at Goldwings but read they are not for anyone over 6' tall.
4. Is parts availability still good?
5. Any common problems to look out for?

What's bringing me to this bike is mainly price. As a single model year bike in Canada they don't have much value. I could buy a 2014 CTX1300 deluxe with top case and a few add ons and only 20,000km for the same price as say a 2001 Gold Wing with 200,000km or a 2008 ST1300 with 80,000km.

Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
660 Posts
Stock seat is "OK" for padding and overall butt feel. Leg position is pretty decent over all.
Yes. It cruises anywhere between 104 KMH and 128 KMH just fine
3. How much leg room does the rider have? I am 6'3,I was originally looking at Goldwings but read they are not for anyone over 6' tall.
You will definitely want some Menosabe brackets and add some highway pegs. Honestly at that height you may be a bit cramped.
Honda has a long history of supporting their vehicles for an extended period of time. Since this bike shares so many parts with the beloved ST1300, mechanical parts are still very much available. Some plastics like saddle bags are starting to become more rare, but still available.
Premature failures? No
Owner complaints? Harsh bar feel, front suspension feel, no 6th gear, mirrors can be hard to see out of

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stock seat is "OK" for padding and overall butt feel. Leg position is pretty decent over all.
Yes. It cruises anywhere between 104 KMH and 128 KMH just fine
You will definitely want some Menosabe brackets and add some highway pegs. Honestly at that height you may be a bit cramped.
Honda has a long history of supporting their vehicles for an extended period of time. Since this bike shares so many parts with the beloved ST1300, mechanical parts are still very much available. Some plastics like saddle bags are starting to become more rare, but still available.
Premature failures? No
Owner complaints? Harsh bar feel, front suspension feel, no 6th gear, mirrors can be hard to see out of
It sounds like it could work for us, it's just so cheap it's hard to pass up! Have you ever sat on a Goldwing or ST1300? would you say the leg room is better or worse? I had an ST1300 and regret selling that bike, I was fine on it for leg room.

·
Registered
2014 Honda CTX 1300 Deluxe
82 Posts
I find my CTX 1300 to be a great bike but I am no expert. I will tell you I found the ride to be far too stiff but adjusting the rear suspension solved that easily for me. Another issues I had was the wind over the (tall) windscreen was a bit too much, but a cheap windscreen spoiler also helped that issue. Now that I have had my bike a few month and have made the needed adjustments and made it mine I think it is just an amazing bike. Good luck and I hope you get what works best for you.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I find my CTX 1300 to be a great bike but I am no expert. I will tell you I found the ride to be far too stiff but adjusting the rear suspension solved that easily for me. Another issues I had was the wind over the (tall) windscreen was a bit too much, but a cheap windscreen spoiler also helped that issue. Now that I have had my bike a few month and have made the needed adjustments and made it mine I think it is just an amazing bike. Good luck and I hope you get what works best for you.

Thanks,
James
Thanks, the current value of these bikes is crazy! for $2,000 less I can buy the CTX 1300 with roughly 12k miles then a 2009 BMW GSA with 90k miles or an 2010 R1200RT with 60k miles

·
Registered
58 Posts
Excellent long distance for myself....2 up, I have no comment as my wife rarely rides with me. I have a 4 Liter dry bag that I strap to the pillion back rest, good for 5-6 day of clothes. One pannier has rain gear the other misc articles. Very stable on the highway, decent mileage, very reliable and just plain FUN!
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i bought the bike in dec.20 and after i set it up for me , different windshield set my rear shocks to my likeing. I bought the bike with very low mileage 2800 The suspension was jolting and shifting was even stiff . I now have 5k and its wonderful the shocks loosened up, shifting is smooth . I absolutly love this bike.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Guys and Gals,

I am considering purchasing one of these bikes. Bit of a back story, current ride is a 2018 V-Strom 1000. It works great for 2up day rides but on our longer trips the luggage digs into my wifes legs, so bad that last year we wound up leaving them at a hotel and picking them up 2 weeks later, doing the trip with almost no change of clothes, cooking supplies, etc.

What's bringing me to this bike is mainly price. As a single model year bike in Canada they don't have much value. I could buy a 2014 CTX1300 deluxe with top case and a few add ons and only 20,000km for the same price as say a 2001 Gold Wing with 200,000km or a 2008 ST1300 with 80,000km.

Thanks! Mike
These bikes are a crazy bargain. I picked mine up at the beginning of September 2020. It had 16,000 km. on the clock at that time. My wife says she is very comfortable on the passenger seat. I have plenty of room, but I am only 5’9”. I am loving the beast.
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Registered
833 Posts
My Wife is 4'11" and had a terrible time getting on/off. I liked the Bike just fine but tired of her saying "just go by yourself" I sold it 3 years ago and replaced in with something much lower. I got my Riding Partner back!

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
110 Posts
My Wife is 4'11" and had a terrible time getting on/off. I liked the Bike just fine but tired of her saying "just go by yourself" I sold it 3 years ago and replaced in with something much lower. I got my Riding Partner back!
One of the main features that attracted me to the CTX 1300 was its extremely low seat height. What did you find that was even lower?
Bruce

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I've done long distance with a passenger with no problems. I do have a GIVI top case with the backrest on it. No complaints on the lack of room or leg problem. Only complaint was they only got one side case AND the top case for their gear while I had the other side case. Pack light.:ROFLMAO: We also had SENA headsets to communicate and listen to tunes from our iPhone. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
These bikes are a crazy bargain. I picked mine up at the beginning of September 2020. It had 16,000 km. on the clock at that time. My wife says she is very comfortable on the passenger seat. I have plenty of room, but I am only 5’9”. I am loving the beast.
Cheers,
Bruce
Yeah i've pretty much narrowed it down to 2 bikes. CTX with 20,000km or a 2006 Royal Star Venture 1300. My wife really likes the venture, but it's 8 years old, 50,000km more, carbs, no abs, no bluetooth, etc It would come in $2,000 cheaper though. But that seems like a small price to pay to go to the CTX.

haha my wife is used to my V-strom 1000 with a 34" seat height so I think she will be ok. I was actually thinking the CTX low seat height would be an advantage!

·
Registered
25 Posts
the ctx is a dlx? , i will tell you the ctx is much more refined then the yamaha and handles much better . The yamaha is a great bike . I was looking at yamaha also but for the money you cant beat the ctx hands down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the ctx is a dlx? , i will tell you the ctx is much more refined then the yamaha and handles much better . The yamaha is a great bike . I was looking at yamaha also but for the money you cant beat the ctx hands down.
Yes it is a deluxe with top case. I think the only area the Yamaha will beat the CTX is in comfort. I had a Vulcan 1700 before though and really didn't like that bike.I'm more into sport touring and adventure sport touring bikes, I love my v-strom 1000. The CTX just seems like a great compromise, but have to convince the wife of that first :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
the yamaha drives like a tank i had the tourer and drove the royal star .The ctx is really in a class by itself. Like i said previously i had bought this bike in dec 20' and the bike does what you want and is very easy about it. I do not ride around town my 2 up ridin g, we usually ride 1 to 3 hrs each way and even with the stock seat it is more comfortable then my tourer with an ultimate seat on it

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes it is a deluxe with top case. I think the only area the Yamaha will beat the CTX is in comfort. I had a Vulcan 1700 before though and really didn't like that bike.I'm more into sport touring and adventure sport touring bikes, I love my v-strom 1000. The CTX just seems like a great compromise, but have to convince the wife of that first :)
For what it’s worth, I have owned a plethora of motorcycles over the past fifty years, and my CTX is hands down the most comfortable bike I have ever thrown a leg over.
Just sayin’.😊
Bruce

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the yamaha drives like a tank i had the tourer and drove the royal star .The ctx is really in a class by itself. Like i said previously i had bought this bike in dec 20' and the bike does what you want and is very easy about it. I do not ride around town my 2 up ridin g, we usually ride 1 to 3 hrs each way and even with the stock seat it is more comfortable then my tourer with an ultimate seat on it
driving like a tank is what scares me, I had the 1700 Nomad and I didn't like that bike at all. The only time i'd ever ride it is when the wife wanted to go for a ride. No chance it was leaving the garage for a ride with just me over the V-Strom 1000 or the CRF450L . The CTX seems like it might be a good compromise for us, i'll still be able to have fun in the twisties and she will be more comfortable though not as comfortable.

For what it’s worth, I have owned a plethora of motorcycles over the past fifty years, and my CTX is hands down the most comfortable bike I have ever thrown a leg over.
Just sayin’.😊
Bruce
I sat on one in a bike show back in 2014 and felt it was the most comfortable bike I had ever sat on, been thinking of them ever since! Have you done much 2up? That's my only real concern, to look at it vs the Yamaha or a Kawi Voyager, it's not going to be nearly as comfortable for the wife. It will be a step up from the V-strom with the side cases digging into her legs though!

·
Registered
110 Posts
driving like a tank is what scares me, I had the 1700 Nomad and I didn't like that bike at all. The only time i'd ever ride it is when the wife wanted to go for a ride. No chance it was leaving the garage for a ride with just me over the V-Strom 1000 or the CRF450L . The CTX seems like it might be a good compromise for us, i'll still be able to have fun in the twisties and she will be more comfortable though not as comfortable.

I sat on one in a bike show back in 2014 and felt it was the most comfortable bike I had ever sat on, been thinking of them ever since! Have you done much 2up? That's my only real concern, to look at it vs the Yamaha or a Kawi Voyager, it's not going to be nearly as comfortable for the wife. It will be a step up from the V-strom with the side cases digging into her legs though!
My wife and I have done several weekend trips on the CTX. She was very comfortable on the pillion seat. No issues.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
988 Posts
I am 6'3", between 200 and 215 lbs (depending on time of year). I have the stock seat, footpegs, and bar setup. I feel the fit and feel of the CTX1300 is incredible with no need for adjustments for guys our size. I have ridden all over (Cross Country) and have spent countless hours on the bike. Many many miles! The bike has good power, is super stable, and looks great! If you are nearby, come look at mine (it is red, which makes it better than the rest). LOL! ;-)

Good luck! I hope you purchase one!
Chris Hansen (aka HansenCTX)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts