CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Been lurking on this forum for a bit. Seems like a nice crowd of people. :)

I have been riding for 28 years, since I was 14. Have only been without a motorcycle for about 4 of those years. Don't get as much saddle time as I would like due to having two young daughters. Life is busy.

I currently ride a 98 BMW R1200C. Really like the bike but it's 17 yrs old and parts are a challenge to get a hold of. I mostly ride on my 20 mile commute to work and on weekend jaunts when the opportunity presents. Did one 1,000mi trip this year over the Beartooth pass in MT this year.

My question is mostly regarding the prices on these bikes from dealers. They seem to be all over the board.

There is a 2014 used (non deluxe) model about 5 hrs from me listed for $10,500. It has 7,700 mi or so. I really like the color, and the lightly used price is more in line with my budget. Oh, it had an added top box and tall windshield. Those are nice additions but most likely I would take off the top box for typical use. Would only want that on for long trips which are rare for me.

There's a brand new candy red , non deluxe model at my local dealer for $11,999.

I think that my bike would be a trade in for the CTX, and hoping they would offer $3800 or more for mine.

Any feedback on the prices of these two bikes and would I most likely get more for trade on a new model than the used one?

My color preference is the black.:ty:

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Bored2Tears.
Knowing the older brother of this engine and running with riders who still ride the ST1300 where this engine came from (with a reputation for being bullet proof for 13 years) I'd say either bike is good. The miles on the used bike is essentially a non-issue. Lower price with a tall shield and trunk for occasional use is a plus not to be ignored. I'd as likely go with that one. 5 hrs is not really all that bad to travel for a good deal. Nice ride there and back with an overnight between maybe. You are right about prices being all over the board in recent months. Mostly about dealers trying to figure out their customers. That is close to what the price difference was for me a year and a half ago when I bought one (though higher overall back then). I traveled 3 hours away to get mine since my local dealer barely budged from MSRP. I'm not so sure buying new would get you a better trade on your current ride. Depends more on which dealer wants to move stock more. But also consider that the new bike likely would give the dealer comparatively less profit at these prices than the used one and that's more what they look at for how much to allow in trade. But I may be all wrong about that. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Bob. I am just wondering if the $3,000 in bonus bucks would make the new bike a better deal. Unless I understand this wrong, I think that would be in addition to the list price. The catch is it must be used on the day of purchase. How would you find $3000 in items to buy? Couldn't you practically upgrade it to a deluxe model for that and add ABS and bluetooth, etc installed for that kind of $?

Yes, the 5 hr ride to another dealer is insignificant to me. Gives me a reason for a nice ride.

More to consider. That said, I am seeing some chatter on here about some dealers selling Deluxe models for like $10,500. Does that seem accurate to you folks?

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bored2Tears. I'm pretty sure that the Bonus Bucks comes off the the selling price of the bike. I know when I bought mine in June last year my deluxe was almost $17k and the standard model is about $1500 cheaper. Me personally I like the bluetooth audio system and I really like the blacked out frame and the black wheels, all the other extras (T/C, ABS, Self Cancelling Turn Signals) is just an added bonus. The prices that you have gotten for the standard model seems pretty fair. I say if you think you're leaning toward a deluxe model, your local dealer wants to work with you they could probably (maybe) locate you one??

Thanks for the response Bob. I am just wondering if the $3,000 in bonus bucks would make the new bike a better deal. Unless I understand this wrong, I think that would be in addition to the list price. The catch is it must be used on the day of purchase. How would you find $3000 in items to buy? Couldn't you practically upgrade it to a deluxe model for that and add ABS and bluetooth, etc installed for that kind of $?

Yes, the 5 hr ride to another dealer is insignificant to me. Gives me a reason for a nice ride.

More to consider. That said, I am seeing some chatter on here about some dealers selling Deluxe models for like $10,500. Does that seem accurate to you folks?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Some dealers (such as mine) will give you the discount for the bonus bucks if you do not spend them. If they don't have what you want, which is likely, then that gives you a chance to order on the net somethings you may want that they don't carry.
Maybe for you yes, but for me, $3000 goes real fast on a bike. Even faster if I didn't do some DIY.
Wishing you luck on your final discussion.
Bear tooth is great ain't it?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will add in my two cents if I may!
As for accessories try these..... Corbin seat with backrest ( or other make)
Cee bailey's windshield 16" tall and saddle bag liners
Ram mount for GPS or phone
Trunk just in case
passenger backrest
Rain cover

Cheers!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bear tooth is great ain't it?
Yes it is. On my last leg of the mountain, it had started to rain slightly. Apparently, they use steel for the expansion joint on the bridge. I hit that while in a wide left sweeper, and just about dookied in my pants when the whole rear wheel swept out. As soon as it hit the dry pavement again, the bike righted itself up.

I've had a few moments like that in my riding career. Guess my age and being a parent now it affected me a lot more. Really shook me up for a few minutes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@board2tears,
Prices are all over the board from different dealers. The main reason I purchased my CTX was because of the pricing. I just couldn't loose on the deal even if I didn't like the bike. BTW I'm really enjoying it!

If you don't mind a long road trip take a look at this dealer for prices: Honda Suzuki Kawasaki KTM Husqvarna & Used Motorcycles Dealer - Beaverton Portland Oregon - MotoSport Hillsboro
They have some great deals on the CTX. Just give them a call. Shipping might even be cheaper if you can get a good deal. Tell them Austin referred you.
Cheers,
Austin

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@board2tears,
Prices are all over the board from different dealers. The main reason I purchased my CTX was because of the pricing. I just couldn't loose on the deal even if I didn't like the bike. BTW I'm really enjoying it!

If you don't mind a long road trip take a look at this dealer for prices: Honda Suzuki Kawasaki KTM Husqvarna & Used Motorcycles Dealer - Beaverton Portland Oregon - MotoSport Hillsboro
They have some great deals on the CTX. Just give them a call. Shipping might even be cheaper if you can get a good deal. Tell them Austin referred you.
Cheers,
Austin
WOW. They are competitive. A deluxe model for $8999??????? This is the part of the motorcycle or car buying experience that I absolutely detest. Why is it that these dealers can vary in pricing on the same bike by 40% ? It just defies logic for me.

I don't want to offend any of the folks who were early adopters by complaining but I really don't understand why my local dealer is 25% higher for a standard model. So, by comparison they are almost $4,000 higher for a deluxe model.

Guess I'll keep searching for the right dealer who wants to work with me.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
That said, I am seeing some chatter on here about some dealers selling Deluxe models for like $10,500. Does that seem accurate to you folks?
Yes, I can confirm you, I bought in May 2015 a "still in crate" 2014 red ctx1300 deluxe for $10,500 + delivery + taxes but the same dealer had a blue and black deluxe listed for more ($2-3,000 more, I can't recall exactly) so mine was a one off opportunity. Some other dealers with too many CTX1300s or 2014 models may have done similar deals.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a 2014 non-deluxe for $12K, it's too close to new 2014 FJ1300/ES. I'd rather go for the used (if still in warranty) for $10.5K with the trade in it will lower another $3K...

·
Registered
68 Posts
You'll like the ride of the used one better. Mine didn't break in till about 3000 miles and now the throttle, suspension, and gear box are way smoother and less jerky. I do like that I own every mile on my bike though. And check into the tire wear of the used one or you'll need to budget for replacement soon. I paid 10700 out the door for mine on the last day of June. Just broke 4000 today. Absolutely love this bike!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the insight JBone. It seems my local dealer's not going to move much on their price. They were the same way when I bought a brand new Suzuki SV650 from them in 2000, but that was a bike with very little markup on it...and was selling like hotcackes all over the US at the time.

I don't know if it's my negotiations skills or what but I never seem to have much luck shopping different dealers against one another. They usually tell me to pound sand and that I should just go to the dealer with the better price. (And that is what I will do. )

Has anyone here bought a bike from a dealer from LONG distance? If I am patient, it almost seems the Portland OR dealer is giving these bikes away. $8900 for a new Deluxe seems to be a smokin deal. And I am better off selling my 98 BMW R1200C outright than trading in.

How much risk would it be to deal with a long distance dealer and have the bike shipped to South Dakota. I've read so many horror stories about shipping motorcycles. Would it be best to leave it crated and pay a local dealer the setup fee? Would they leave one crated up for me you think...or is that against some unwritten dealer integrity rule ?

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you are set on buying a new one,,, take the oregon deal go to expedia and buy the cheapest plane ticket and ride it back thats what I have done with several of my bikes,,I bought my first BEEMER in daytona and then rodee it home,, needed major first maitenance when I got home,, thats when I realized what a mistake that was.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bought out of state and the worse part about it was having to pay the taxes when I registered, and having to wait for the title to register. I was happy it was only a ten day wait. Sometimes I worry that the local dealer isn't to thrilled I bought elsewhere, so I'm always a little paranoid when I take it for service and such.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the used model with 7,700 miles is beginning to look appealing. Everyone seems to agree this bike gets better in suspension with some miles put on it. I also like the fact the first few services have probably been done....which saves a little coin.

On that topic, would anyone be willing to tell me the service schedule through the first 15,000 miles?

And, what did you pay @ dealership for the first couple services? I'd like to know roughly the cost of what I am getting into if I go route of new bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
I can say the interval for most service is 8000 miles... for oil/filter change and a few other inspections. Otherwise 12000-16000 for other items. I've done my own service so far including the initial 600 mile oil change and checks. At 7700 miles that used bike will soon be needing the 8000 mile service. Maybe work a deal to include that as part of a sale?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm convinced that Miks on this forum was the previous owner of the bike I'm looking at with 7,700 mi. So, I sent him a PM and he can probably tell me everything I want to know about the bike's history.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is some great advice on this forum. I bought my non- deluxe CTX used with 400 miles on it for $10900. I only had to drive 2 hrs to get it. Like others said, a long ride home and a lower price is a win win. If you' re buying from a dealer, ask them to put a battery tender lead on it before you take It. The battery is under the left front panel and not easy to get to. That panel is thin plastic and tricky to remove & replace.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bored,

I started considering the CTX1300 when a local dealer here in the Dallas area, Al Lamb Honda, had or has them marked down to $10999 for the Deluxe with no extras. One black one left as of Thursday. I got it in writing. I wasn't in the hots for a new MC until then. Plus I was not even considering the CTX but at 6500 off I started giving it serious consideration.

I haven't fully convinced myself I need a new one just yet. But I do like the feel of it and the seat. It sure is smooth. Not fond of the looks of the front end but the tall windshield helps the looks. We'll see how I feel Tuesday.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts