CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone! I am a prospective CTX1300 owner. I've got about 14,000 miles and 7 years experience, but my trusty Nighthawk 750 is simply not the bike to take me on multi state highway rides, so I'm looking to get a bigger bike.

I was looking at the ST1300, but then this motorcycle was released, and it looks to be more my style: upright riding position, luggage possibilities, and nifty accessories. I'm also looking for something that can easily be ridden all year round, and the heated grips would definitely help with that.

The other competitor right now is the Goldwing F6B, but I'm not sure I'd really like a bike like that, and without the rear trunk it lacks a bit of the storage capacity I would want.

One thing I have been unable to find so far is what the LED Foglights look like mounted. They seem like a nice option, but pricey, and where they are is a pretty big determining factor in whether I'd want them.

So, coming from a NH750, do you think I'd be happy with the CTX1300?

Also, is the deluxe package worth it? I'm much more interested in it due to the ABS/traction control than the audio system., though the audio system would be nice.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Welcome to the board!

Whether the CTX1300 is the bike for you, I couldn't say -- but it does sound like it's definitely worth a serious look. If you want to do longer touring type rides, this bike is extremely capable; I personally find the riding position much more comfortable than the ST, as do a number of other owners here. If you want to ride all year round, I'd recommend checking into the tall windshield. Since it sounds like you plan on putting on some serious miles, you increase the risk of running into more inclement conditions, so I think the Deluxe model would be worth it for you.

If you've ever ridden an ST1300, you know how unique and buttery-smooth this engine is. If you haven't, you owe it to yourself to try to get a test ride.

Of you want something that's got all-day comfort and is built for semi-serious touring but don't want the massive bulk of a Gold Wing or one of the multitude of teeth-rattling V-twin dressers, I would put the CTX1300 at the top of your shopping list.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am NOT a fan of V-twin dressers at all. Especially with their lovely air cooled engines during the summer. Water cooled or bust.

Serious miles? Yes definitely. I'm also 6'2, and the ST1300 puts my knees on the bodywork, which is not really optimal.

The Deluxe version is nice, but personally I'd really rather have access to the ABS and traction control without the Audio package. Tall windshield is a must, definitely.

I've been really A/Bing the bike with the GL1800 F6B a lot, and one thing is that a dealer near me has a 2013 model discounted about 4K, which actually puts it BELOW the MSRP of the CTX. But, no trunk, which means 100 L of storage, vs the 115 liters of the CTX.

The audio package though, when it says bluetooth, does that mean that it can both receive and send? Like, if I had a bluetooth headset, would it allow me to connect my phone through the bike to the headset?

· Registered
446 Posts
(...)The audio package though, when it says bluetooth, does that mean that it can both receive and send? Like, if I had a bluetooth headset, would it allow me to connect my phone through the bike to the headset?
Yes and no. Yes, it does have send and receive (music goes in via Bluetooth or USB, goes out via Bluetooth or the speakers). No, it doesn't support the hands-free profile, so you won't be able to answer your phone from the bike.

Some phones can distinguish between a "music" device (such as a pair of Bluetooth speakers) and a "talk" device (such as a bluetooth hands-free headset) so that you can pair your phone with both the bike and the headset and use the headset directly for calls and via the bike for music.

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm really not worried/interested in talking when on the bike. I don't talk and drive even with hands free, so I definitely have no interest in riding and talking.

I will have to think about that though. It would be a nice thing to have, especially with the buttons on the side.

Now of course, the 1 million dollar question: when is the best time to buy new? right now honda is running a bunch of incentives like $1000 in free options and 12 months free honda care, as well as some APR rates on financing. but people have said that If I wait until september there may be even better deals.

· Registered
82 Posts
All three bikes are good choices. The St1300 with a trunk has tons of luggage space. The electric windshield is so nice you have the best of all worlds, no windshield and a fraction of a windshield or full windshield at the push of a button. Your tall enough you would probably sit flat footed on it also. The negatives are the forward lean causes shoulder ache when going downhill even with the bar risers you still have a forward lean. The CTX 1300 has a very comfortable riding position and with a trunk it may carry enough for you, you have to evaluate that. Not sure if the f6b has trunk options or not.
All 3 bikes have the multi cylinder very smooth reliable Honda engines. They are all great bikes. Welcome to the forum and no matter which is your choice its is a good one. I love my ctx1300, I also loved my ST1300

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I sat on an ST1300 for a while, and it just wasn't comfortable. Maybe I could get used to it but I really like an upright riding position, with the option to lean forward for better cornering. being stuck that way can be annoying.

After thinking about it more, on a bike I'm planning on keeping a long time, not having ABS and traction control would be detrimental. the F6B is nice but it doesn't have those options, and the audio system isn't bluetooth based. Also, full windshield is a must. I don't like shorty shields, so whatever I get is not going to have the stock shield.

There aren't really any top box options for the F6B that I can currently see. It's marketed to the "bagger" crowd, and the name itself means "flat 6 Bagger". If you want the topcase, then you go for the full goldwing.

The CTX has a nice topcase offering though. 45L is nice, and it fits the bike.

I think I'm going to head on down to the local honda place, and see what they can do for me.

as for the foglights, I would love some, but not enough to pay almost another 1000 bucks for them. there are plenty of aftermarket solutions out there, or I can always get them put on later.

· Registered
282 Posts
Hi There Tbone,
Sit on both the F6b and the CTX. You'll notice that the F6b bends your knees more than the CTX. When I say bend I mean pegs more to the rear. Strange but true. This is why I went with the CTX. Be gone leg cramps.

· Premium Member
111 Posts
I agree about the leg position. Rode 6 hours Saturday and my knees never ached and need to be hung down to ease the pain like I had to on the ST.

Rav

· Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I still have to work out payment, down payment, etc.

Also have to decide whether to get it from the giant motorcycle mall 45 minutes away, or the much smaller local place 10 minutes away. both are honda dealers. I would assume pricing etc would be the same at both.

The drive to the 45 minute away place is also ****.

· Registered
105 Posts
Got my first time sitting on one, and it's really nice. Light off the kickstand, but still has some good heft to it. 90% sure a blue CTX1300 deluxe is in the near future.
Just picked mine up last Wednesday and I have to say that I love this bike. I've put on about 800 KM now and am really settling into it. To ride the bike feels much lighter than what it is.....one up or two up.....

I think you'll enjoy it if you do get one!

:smileygarden_de_ban

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Price difference was the determining factor for me about where to get it. The local shop is 15 minutes away through town but wouldn't budge much from MSRP (only $500!!!).
I ended up going 145 miles away to a bigger Honda store (Storm Lake Honda) in a much smaller town, 3 hours riding on county highways, and no city traffic. They matched the best price we both could find in the nation at the time. $1485 OTD for my blue deluxe plus order for the tall shield. Was a VERY nice first ride back home. :D
The were very knowledgeable about availability of parts and very good on pricing (shipped my tall shield for free when it arrived two weeks later) even in late April. They seemed to have information most other dealers didn't have a clue about. See my profile visitor messages for contact information. :)

· Registered
11 Posts
I was going to wait until after this season was over to buy my CTX1300 deluxe so i had something new for next season. However, once I found out that honda has some great incentives to buy now I pulled the trigger and bought it now. The incentives ARE STILL: free 1 year HONDACARE and $1000 in free accessories. If you live near NYC i recommend you go to a dealer in astoria ny named ny honda/yamaha. The reason is that although the deluxe msrp is $17,500, the gave it to me for $15,600. This , plus the incentives I just mentioned made this a no brainer for me so i decided to As a sports bike rider, I was looking for something that was better for long distance riding(easier on the back). I was very interested in the gold wing but didn't like the massive bulk of it right now. This bike i saw at the annual motorcycle show at the javits center last dec and decided to look into it. After a test ride I was hooked. Long story short I love this bike and in my mind it has handling close to a sports bike due to its 200 series rear tire

· Registered
11 Posts
to me, with what honda gives you with the deluxe package it makes absolutely no sense to buy the standard model. The safety of the abs and traction control alone make the deluxe package a worthwhile investment.The audio system is great although recommend you use bluetooth helmet because the wind will make the speakers inaudible. In town they work just fine and sound ok. remember that this is a new model and i have zero doubt that any dealer will negotiate the price of the deluxe down to the price of the regular to move inventory.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.