CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

First of thanks everyone for your help thus far. This has been a great community and I cannot wait to become a part of it and be able to help and avise where I can.

I just had a few last questions before I buy ...

(1) Clutch: On the model I test drove, the clutch didn't do much until the last 1/4th of releasing. And then - as there wasn't much release room left - it engaged pretty quickly. I am used to a more gradual clutch. Is this normal for the CTX1300? And anything I should know about this behavior or how to adapt my shifting style? I found myself over-reving to up-shift / match RPMs as I was expecting the clutch to kick in sooner.

(2) Vibration: I didn't notice any handle bar vibration (as per normal Hondas) but wanted to double check as this is very important to me - my hands are sensitive. Can I confirm things are mounted and rubberized properly and the bike continues to maintain being a smooth non-buzzy ride after some miles? No one has experienced handle bar buzzing / vibration?

(3) V-Twin vs. 4-cylinder: This will be my first 4-cylinder bike. Anything special or in particular I should be aware of? Negatives? Things to get used to? All I noticed was that it made loads of torque at very low RPMs and that it probably wouldn't have the normal more-horsepower-as-I-rev-more.

Any and all advice or unique things about this bike are welcome pointers!

Thanks so much!

:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
1 - I've found clutches to be different on all bikes, even within the same make and model. Every new bike I've owned has taken a few trips to get used to where that friction point is and how much play you have between no grab and full grab. My Shadow was the exact opposite -- clutch grabbed early, and I kept stalling it the first couple of days. You'll definitely get used to it, probably in pretty short order.

2 - The bars on this bike are solid mounted. However, I have never noticed any buzzing or vibration in them other than road feedback. That being said, some owners here have expressed unusual harshness in the bars on rough pavement. Again, I haven't noticed any more of that with this bike than any other, and I'm guessing from the vast variance in reported experiences on this here, it varies from bike to bike. Only way to know for sure is a test ride. I installed Kury ISO grips on mine, just because I prefer the extra texture of them; they're bigger around than stock and definitely make longer rides more comfortable. Just an option to consider if the stock grips aren't exactly to your liking.

3 - Comparing my own experience with big twins, the 1300 V4 does not have the same instant punch in the low revs. I.e., it doesn't have the same desire to dislodge my arms from their sockets when I crack it as the VTX and Thunderbird did. But it does pull longer through the RPM range than any twin cruiser I've ridden, which more than makes up for the absence of that joint-wrenching torque. The HP and torque curves for this motor are pretty wide and flat, but they do still rise, peak, and fall off -- just nowhere near as abruptly as most others. Peak torque is around 4k, but most of that starts coming on around 2k; and peak HP around 5k, as I recall. It's a totally different feel from a big twin; but like everything else, you get used to how it goes and feels pretty quickly just from time in the saddle.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yeah, what he said. I'll add a note.
There are Rox anti vibration short risers that some find help a lot if you find the vibrations too much.
I also use ISO grips. But if I were to be doing more twisties and less touring, I'd stick with stock or Pro Grips. I also removed the weights from my bar ends as the vibration is nil for me.
You'll have to adjust (fine tune) your character to that of the bike or vice versa.

Reactions: Drummer

·
Registered
101 Posts
Not so much vibrations on the handlebars. I did add grip puppies for some comfort. What I do get is the pounding through the handlebars from the terrible roads around here. It's really the suspension though not the bars that need help. Going over some of the HWY bridges and over passes here in PA and the northeast will adjust your spine. But I will say this bike handles way better than any other cruiser I've ridden, and the stiff suspension makes that possible, so I will take a shot here and there for a better handling machine. I may have the oil in the forks replaced though.

V4s are generally very smooth running engines. More so than twins or inline 4s. Smoothest bike I ever rode was a 08 VFR 800 I had. My God that was a gloriously smooth bike.

Clutch on my CTX is perfect so can't help there.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Clutch just fine. Just learn where it grabs.

I rode one test CTX with bad jolts in the front end. The other had none. Mine has none. I put lighter fork oil in from the start. Most with the jolts say it goes away with some miles. I have never felt vibration in the bars. I have ISO grips also plus Kury bar weights.

V4 is nice and smooth, but certainly fast enough to quickly get a nod from the law. It's a cruiser, not a rocket, so depends on what you want.

I remain completely satisfied with mine. Just sitting at my PC deciding which way to roll tomorrow for a week on the road. Smoke, rain, scenery...so many choices.

Buy it.

Reactions: shane and JBone

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Can't wait to hear all about your new wheels, jgortner!
Getting this bike after having different bikes in the past is like getting a new pair of footwear.
If you spent the last three years wearing Redwing work boots, it will take some getting used to when you slip on those new Nike crosstrainers. It will take a little time for your muscle-memory to adjust to the new mechanics, and for both you and your bike to get used to each other. But once that happens (it was at about a thousand miles for me)... this bike is pure magic. Good luck, and enjoy it! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts