CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What windshield and size windshield do you have on your CTX to stop horrible buffeting for your passenger? My wife took a beating for our first ride I have Honda tall shield on now and she's not liking the wind. I was thinking of going to 16 cede bailey crazy part is with Honda tall shield I get no buffeting I'm only 5'7" my wife only 5'2" but she got hammered by the wind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This was bad for us in helmets, never a problem without (which almost never happens). Rear trunk solved the problem for us, I think we were sitting too close. Honda tall shield in combination.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
That's interesting. We've had the trunk from day one and had no problem. Another rider same height as me was having problem and I couldn't understand why. Thought he may have longer torso. We use open and full face face helmet depending on weather and no problem with either. @fdxrider, you'll notice several typos on this board. No one pays them any attention. You can edit your post for about 10 minutes after posting. If using tapatalk, tap your post and then the pen at the top to edit.

Reactions: JBone

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure what you mean by taking a beating. I also have the tall Honda windshield and the wife and I are 6' and 6'2" respectively. We can feel the wind on the helmets but from the neck down we are okay. When we ride non highway speeds we like to open our visors and get fresh air so the windshield is just about right for us. Thought of trying a taller windshield like the Bailey's but would need to get the vent option for more air flow during hot days.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@Austin,
There are some combinations of windscreens/topcases or some combinations of windscreens/helmets that cause buffeting. It is like being in the zone behind an 18 wheeler.
Sometimes the effect is so bad it makes it difficult for your eyes to focus. The CTX doesn't have the issue as bad as bikes like the VTX, VT, Shadow, etc.
If you are one of those unfortunate ones to have that combination, then it really takes the joy out of riding until you find the solution.
@fdxrider,
If you have a place nearby that will let you return helmets if they don't work out, you can try different styles to see if they will resolve the problem.
Also, you could get the x-creen with clamp on so the shield isn't altered if it doesn't work. The good thing about the X-creen is you could adjust it between solo/2-up riding.
The Cee Bailey design, while ugly in my opinion, is still a good design for air flow. Any design with vents or a way for air to enter at the bottom will help reduce back pressure at highway speeds
which will reduce buffeting by not sucking the air going over your head back into the back of your head. Hope that made sense the way I said it.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input. What I meant by beating is she had to fight to keep her head from getting pushed around by the wind her neck and shoulder hurt the next day. I had a madstad 20" on my CTX 700 she got no wind I however never found that total sweet spot and got buffeting but I just sucked it up. I however won't be telling her to just suck it up as I plan on staying married.. lol I do have a giving trunk on the bike never knew it made a difference I'll have to try highway speed with it off. Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts