CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,996 Posts
Has anybody loosened the handle bar bolts and changed the trajectory of the bars for better mirror view?
Welcome to the forum @Frankiedoog
When I bought mine back in April 2014 I had been reading on here about doing just that. Honda put dimples on the bars to mark where to put them at the factory. But that put them way too high IMO. Most owners here have lowered the bars. One or two actually raised them up. I think someone even put them so high they could be classified as ape hangars. Not my choice since all the blood would drain from my arms. I had my dealer lower mine so that the cables that hang under the bars on the left side, for example, just barely cleared the open storage box door when the bars were turned to the stop on that side. Other side did the same as it turned out. I ended up with a view to and from the mirrors almost exactly the same as I had with my ST1100.

Still others here added another set of mirrors in the handlebar mounts that were made for them. That would be by removing the plug in the mount on the reservoirs. Those are standard handlebar stalk mirror mounts and are threaded for that purpose if you prefer.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Frankiedoog
When I bought mine back in April 2014 I had been reading on here about doing just that. Honda put dimples on the bars to mark where to put them at the factory. But that put them way too high IMO. Most owners here have lowered the bars. One or two actually raised them up. I think someone even put them so high they could be classified as ape hangars. Not my choice since all the blood would drain from my arms. I had my dealer lower mine so that the cables that hang under the bars on the left side, for example, just barely cleared the open storage box door when the bars were turned to the stop on that side. Other side did the same as it turned out. I ended up with a view to and from the mirrors almost exactly the same as I had with my ST1100.

Still others here added another set of mirrors in the handlebar mounts that were made for them. That would be by removing the plug in the mount on the reservoirs. Those are standard handlebar stalk mirror mounts and are threaded for that purpose if you prefer.
What do you mean, had it lowered. Different risers?

·
Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
5,996 Posts
What do you mean, had it lowered. Different risers?
No, never replaced or added risers on my CTX. Only loosened the bar clamps and rotated the handlebar down. Thus lowering the ends of the handlebar, which did also move them very slightly closer without the need for any risers.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
No, never replaced or added risers on my CTX. Only loosened the bar clamps and rotated the handlebar down. Thus lowering the ends of the handlebar, which did also move them very slightly closer without the need for any risers.
Gotcha. I moved the bars down, but also installed riser extensions to sit back a little.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response Greg. I am not talking about the riser bolts, I am talking about the handlebar cradle at the top of the risers. Those bolts are round with a serrated edge. I want to use the right tool so that I don't damage the bolt head. Simple pliers or channel locks would probably do the job.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Thanks for the prompt response Greg. I am not talking about the riser bolts, I am talking about the handlebar cradle at the top of the risers. Those bolts are round with a serrated edge. I want to use the right tool so that I don't damage the bolt head. Simple pliers or channel locks would probably do the job.
I'm not aware of anything but hex style bolts.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Carbon Rim

·
Registered
2 Posts
Has anybody loosened the handle bar bolts and changed the trajectory of the bars for better mirror view?
I did. Initially I lowered them because I felt like I was reaching too high which was giving me back pain between my shoulder blades. Lowering the bars helped with my back and better mirror visibility was just a happy coincidence.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts