CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow CTX'ers. I have a rear bag I have used on prior bikes for years that I liked. I always had a backrest and it had an integrated sleeve that slipped over the backrest and integrated straps as well that helped secure it to the bike. I purchased the CTX1300 in March 2021 and realized that the backrest on this bike has a very thick color matched piece that makes the backrest very thick; so thick that the sleeve can't fit over the backrest. I looked at trying to remove the color matched piece, but wasn't seeing a way to easily separate it (guessing there is) and I didn't want to damage it. If I could do that, my bag would fit over it just fine.

So....with some Xmas cash, I'm looking at a new similar style bag that might work with this bike. I don't want a hard case in the back and really like having the ability to have the bag if needed for a longer trip and taken off for my daily/weekend rides etc. I even took off just the backrest and left the rack seeing if that might allow me some options as I'm a solo rider at all times. Anybody got any suggestions or ideas? I'd love to just keep the backrest on and find a bag that might fit behind, but the rack is small, like my other bikes, but wasn't a problem when able to slip that thing over the backrest.

Any ideas are welcome or if you remember a prior post, you can point to that direction too. With 8" of snow here on the ground this past week in Iowa, I got plenty of time to research........sadly!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I use a 40 L dry pack placed against my back rest. Held on with 2 "ROC straps". The straps cross from side to side an loop around the pin just behind and lower than the back rest.
ROK Straps Canada – The Ultimate Stretch Strap

My 40 liter bag hold cloths for 5 day, spare shoes and a light jacket. It would hold a lot more if I wanted. And its waterproof :)
Home this helps
Glen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
I use a 40 L dry pack placed against my back rest. Held on with 2 "ROC straps". The straps cross from side to side an loop around the pin just behind and lower than the back rest.
ROK Straps Canada – The Ultimate Stretch Strap

My 40 liter bag hold cloths for 5 day, spare shoes and a light jacket. It would hold a lot more if I wanted. And its waterproof :)
Home this helps
Glen
I use a similar arrangement, tho I don't have a back and luggage platform at all. I attached a pair of Roc straps under my seat, where I store them. When needed, I feed the straps up from the seat and over a pack on the rear seat.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
I’m guessing you know there are places to hook a bungee/strap on the inside front of each side case and another peg about two inch long further back on the bike for the same thing. You could probably have a decent seamstress sew two pieces of Velcro to the back of the bag. Slide bag against backrest and secure around lower part with the Velcro. Or even a bungee/strap thru the handle on top. Just some ideas. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The suggestion of the ROK straps and other tie-down locations is helpful. I didn't have luck with tiedowns as I didn't want to have to strap too tightly for some contents and so the bag slid around too much. I will investigate the ROK strap site and maybe can invest in those rather than a whole new bag set up. Thanks fellas!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Any ideas are welcome or if you remember a prior post, you can point to that direction too. With 8" of snow here on the ground this past week in Iowa, I got plenty of time to research........sadly!
My setup back in 2016. Saddlemen bag with bungee cords. These days I use a Bilt dry bag, Rok straps and SHAD SH48 top case.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
13 Posts
The setup I used on my Gold Wing was an oversized set bag (sold under the Harley label), held to the bike by built in straps for the side and back. The size of this bag seemed to overpower the CTX1300 (visually) thus for aesthetic reasons I am now using a 40L dry bag (black) for my CTX1300, laying across the back seat, held in place with bungee netting. It holds all my needs, and leaves the bikes side bags and trunk for my everyday things like rain gear, gloves, an extra jacket, tools, etc. My touring trips are typically three weeks or longer, travelling in all 49 North American states (different trips), and the 40L bag will hold as much as the bulkier seat bag. I like the tiedown attach points on the 1300. Nice touch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts