CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Super Moderator
2022 Matte Deep Blue Kymco AK 550
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to ordering the rear carrier from Storm Lake Honda. Found out that Jeff, from there, is a member here. Must be lurking. Lurk away @jeffro413! :D

Called the local dealer in town and almost like the bike itself they are stuck on the msrp so I emailed SLH and a much better price is to be had. Saving almost $30 over msrp on the luggage rack. Shipping isn't bad at $12 to my home. But since SLH is ONLY 145 miles one way up the road, mostly county highways, I am thinking of spending that on gas and taking a little ride up to get it on Saturday. Looks like nice weather is coming that day :D

Sold my camper this weekend so gearing up for packing on the tail of the bike for moto camping trips.

Also ordered my LED light bar from CustomDynamics.com. A Knight Riderz 12 LED dual intensity tail/brake bar with flashing brake for 6 seconds then solid bright. I decided to get the non-sequential bar this time due to questions about legality of the sequential moving light in some states.

Now to find some time in the next month to install the electrical bits for it.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Installed the rear carrier tonight. I can finally say I broke a tab (the broken tab story is about one HONDA broke). Fortunately it was one on the covers that get removed to install the carrier. I don't plan to ever put those back on again so no big deal. I really like the look with the carrier on the tail. Sort of completes that end of the bike to me. Photos will follow after I also add the Swingwing pegs that should show up tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If my wife were inclined to continue riding with me, even some of the time, I would have added either the back rest or top case. I would be fine with either. But she doesn't like riding this bike (says the back seat is too wide, but she had already decided before this bike that she didn't want to ride pillion any more) so I'm a solo rider all the time. Before, with the stock bare tail, I had to be careful packing things so they wouldn't drop off the back. The rear carrier will be very handy as it is for helping me carry my dry bags on longer trips. :)

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is installed. (finally a photo). The spots on the tail under the carrier are from the rain during the day while I was at work Thursday and Friday. No rain for the rides to or from work though so that was very nice.

Here is another view in the sun that was shining today. If you look close you can also see the Kuryakyn SwingWing pegs installed :)

The rear carrier is just right to support my big 110 liter dry bag lengthwise on the tail. The bag still overhangs the rear by maybe 4 inches but it has a semi-rigid bottom so it can extend a little without sagging.

· Registered
82 Posts
Myself, I like the look of the rear carrier - even without the back rest or trunk. I don't know what it is, but for some reason the esthetics of the carrier just seem to complement the side bags. The first thing I did to my bike was to install the rear carrier. I do wish Honda would have incorporated a quick release mechanism on them to allow the easy switching out of back rest & trunk. As it is now, I have two carriers - One mounted to a trunk, and one mounted to a back rest.

· Premium Member
264 Posts
Hey Bob, It's looking good! :) Looks like you're missing something though... Oh wait I know what it is. It's the matching rear (passenger) pegs that I still have that would look really nice on there with those swing wing pegs. I'd be glad to sell them to you. :D

Here's another photo of the bike from my Monday morning ride to work.

This bike keeps looking better and better to me. :D

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Bob, It's looking good! :) Looks like you're missing something though... Oh wait I know what it is. It's the matching rear (passenger) pegs that I still have that would look really nice on there with those swing wing pegs. I'd be glad to sell them to you. :D
:520: I thought about those... for just a short time. Unfortunately. I would get those if I had someone who used them, but she doesn't want to ride pillion. I've even considered using the rear pegs mounts as one of the mounting points for some kind of pannier crash bar set up.

· Registered
2,003 Posts
Here's another photo of the bike from my Monday morning ride to work.

This bike keeps looking better and better to me. :D
Not just you Bob. I play a Tag game on advrider forum and I get comments from riders that just read the thread to see the pictures of the bike.

· Super Moderator
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Which one? The small tail bag/roll bag I have in the photos of prior posts in this thread? Or the large dry bag I use for my moto camping trips I have in photos elsewhere? :D
I am thinking in context you must be referring to the roll bag. It's a Dowco Iron Rider Roll Bag and was a gift from my son and his wife. More information can be read about it HERE. I believe it came from Amazon.com HERE. The current photo on Amazon shows the D-rings higher on the bag than mine. I would have liked that a little better I think. Then again, I like it how it is on mine also since the straps don't have to be as long to get to them. There is a slightly larger roll bag in the set (sold separately) that has the same item number as mine. Mine measures about 14"x6"x10" for comparison with any others. Perfect for what I need for the stuff I take to work and then some. :)

· Registered
214 Posts
Pardon for resurrecting an old thread but I didn't want to start a new thread with this simple question . . .

Does the rear luggage rack (08L70-MJN-A00ZB) come only in black? Black is fine but if Honda made a blue one to match my blue bike I would probably buy that.

ETA: I guess black is best because it matches the black on the saddle bags.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.