CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed how dirty the rear of the bike gets even after a short ride. Forget about riding in the rain! I was thinking that an extending the rear fender would prevent a lot of the dirt that is thrown onto the fender and saddlebags. Has anyone made such an extender for the rear?

·
Super Moderator
5,408 Posts
I did have a large mud flap on my Gold Wing many years ago. Only thing I remember about that is there was a small light in the center of the mud flap that stopped working. Seems the wires on the back side (toward front of bike) were too exposed to what came off the rear tire and quickly corroded them. Can't remember much about how effective it was though... sorry.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am going to experiment with a sheet of plastic and use a heat gun to bend the corners. Will mount with screws as it will need to be removed when changing the rear tire or servicing the rear drive unit. I will first check out aftermarket products to see if it can be adapted. After all, why reinvent the wheel??

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I like the idea, and I have an extender in front. However, covering the tire will block the already limited view when inspecting the tire for wear and foreign objects. [Which reminds me. I have not inspected them yet this month.]

Reactions: LilRed

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a couple of univeral rear fender extenders that could work. But upon inspection, dirt also flies up the sides onto the saddlebags. The extender will only keep dirt from flying onto the fender itself but not the saddlebags.

Something like a Harley rear fender extender which has sides that fill in the space between saddlebags. Will mock something up using cardboard and transfer onto plastic or sheetmetal to make a prototype. Eventually being able to offer it to the site.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
A lot of that dirt on the back may be caused by air flow around and over the bike. I get a lot and I have the GIVI trunk installed. But it reminds me of driving my Equinox, I get a lot of dirt and spray in wet weather from air flowing around and over the vehicle. JMHO

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not a fender extender per se but an inspection sticker plate. I put it on to add a second brake light which is yet to be installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
This is what I did.
I used a generic fender extender backwards, I drilled small holes in the upper part that I covered with the license plate, in the middle I put a nut/bolt where I put an additional reflector.
Ebay: Universal Tires Motorcycle Rear Wheel Cover Fender Splash Guard Mudguard Black $11.39 from China
ctxFender.jpg

·
Registered
217 Posts
I remember someone on the forum, don't recall who, using a piece of either a truck mudflap or maybe beltline cut to size and attached using longer license plate bolts. As I recall the bolts pulled it into shape and in photos it appeared to fit pretty well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts