CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that a solution (albeit pricey) is out there for the front suspension, what about the rears? Anybody replaced the rear shocks? We need details. For what its worth, I crank my current shocks up to position 5 and this is much better than the softer settings.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Now that a solution (albeit pricey) is out there for the front suspension, what about the rears? Anybody replaced the rear shocks? We need details. For what its worth, I crank my current shocks up to position 5 and this is much better than the softer settings.
I'm like you. I ride at 4 or 5 (I forget, I left it at whatever I had it set at for riding the Dragon with my wife on back last fall and haven't thought about it, which means I like it where it is). But it does make me wonder if the ride is going to get saggy/bouncy down the road since I'm basically riding at the highest setting.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have a set of GL1100 air shocks on my bike now. They are about 1/2 inch longer but running air at 32 psi it sets like the stock shocks. I just got them mounted last nite where I could get the seat on and ride it. Just did a short ride on some rough roads that I ride on. What a difference some of the bumps I don't even feel now and the bad ones are not bad now. I am going to do some testing today on some twisties and see how that works. But right now I can tell you this bike needs diff rear shocks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have a set of GL1100 air shocks on my bike now. They are about 1/2 inch longer but running air at 32 psi it sets like the stock shocks. I just got them mounted last nite where I could get the seat on and ride it. Just did a short ride on some rough roads that I ride on. What a difference some of the bumps I don't even feel now and the bad ones are not bad now. I am going to do some testing today on some twisties and see how that works. But right now I can tell you this bike needs diff rear shocks.
Are you saying you took stock shocks from a GL1100 or something aftermarket? Sorry, I know nothing of Gold Wings of any vintage.

Jeff

·
Registered
93 Posts
Are you saying you took stock shocks from a GL1100 or something aftermarket? Sorry, I know nothing of Gold Wings of any vintage.

Jeff

Yes these were a set of stock used rear air stocks I had off a 83 GL1100. Just got back from about a 100 mile ride and these things work great. I road some of the roughest I knew of the places that were a little rough I don't feel now and the real rough places you bearly feel them now. While riding today instead of trying to dodge the rough stuff I would hit it. In one place hit a big dip and bottomed out the shocks nothing rubbed and was not a big jar. In long sweeping curves with dips at speed not a bit of wiggle. These shocks are about 1/2" longer than the stock ones but running 32psi the bike sets level like stock. Only draw back so far when on side stand it leans more. I was going to try to find some new shocks but I am going to leave these on as they are working great for now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think many of us are setting the rear up to max, me included, to make up for the front problems
I will try and set my rears this weekend and give a report as to what they are like on softer settings
I am hoping to not have to do much to the rears
I don't have anymore money
I will be riding this bike 2up a lot so it will likely be on the firmer end
otherwise on the rears I suppose we just need measurements to get shocks from many companies
but I have not looked at the mounts yet. but if they fit and ride from other bikes it should be an easy swap

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had tried my rear shocks at every setting nothing worked. Now I ride single for whats it worth. The stock rear has to MUCH comp damping. I was going to trade my bike but after the shock change I don't think so. Cant believe how much these shocks made in this bikes ride. I will keep you all posted on how it goes.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
ride down to Chattanooga and do mine :)

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
F6B is cool. A colleague and I are flying up next Saturday to Milwaukee to pick up two 2012 ST 1300s. Going to enjoy the 730 mile ride back over the weekend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
F6B is cool. A colleague and I are flying up next Saturday to Milwaukee to pick up two 2012 ST 1300s. Going to enjoy the 730 mile ride back over the weekend.

I had a 2006 ST1300 nice bike better watch your speed runs fast reel easy.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Would these work?

80 83 Honda GL1100 Gold Wing Rear 416 Series 13" Air Shocks | eBay

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ha Ha. I googled these same shocks on ebay. This begs the question: how in the world could a pair of used shocks from the 1980's perform better than our brand new ones on a 2014 motorcycle? The only answer is that Honda really cut some corners on the CTX suspension. A fellow from UK was working with Hagon to develop some shocks for the CTX but his posts have dropped off with no results. I contacted the US distributor for Hagons and she is looking into it . Who know???????

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had the stock shocks replaced with Ohlins for a harley FX-D, model number HD216. The difference between before and after is amazing, it was worth every cent.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Those are the shocks I put on the guys bike that these used shocks came off of. He told me they were leaking and wanted me to put the 416 progg on. I have had these used shocks for a while now. I got them out to see how bad they leaked guess what they did not. So I got to looking and measuring and yes they are longer. But I thought I would them. I found that with the air set 32-34psi the bike would set level like with stock shocks. So far only draw backs leans over a lot more on side stand and on center stand cant rotate rear wheel. I need to ride these more and see how things go.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ha Ha. I googled these same shocks on ebay. This begs the question: how in the world could a pair of used shocks from the 1980's perform better than our brand new ones on a 2014 motorcycle? The only answer is that Honda really cut some corners on the CTX suspension. A fellow from UK was working with Hagon to develop some shocks for the CTX but his posts have dropped off with no results. I contacted the US distributor for Hagons and she is looking into it . Who know???????

Yes sad it is this is a great bike except for the suspension mainly the rear shocks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had the stock shocks replaced with Ohlins for a harley FX-D, model number HD216. The difference between before and after is amazing, it was worth every cent.

niftee keep us posted on these shocks the GL1100 that I am running on my bike are a little to long but man what a difference they make in the ride.:smiley-happy0034:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ran these shocks another 300 miles today. We ran some very curvy roads and some not so smooth all I can say these shocks are great. They are rock steady in the turns at speed and smooth in the rough places. I checked my front tire tonite for chicken strip has 1/8" at most so I can say we ran pretty hard.

1 - 20 of 97 Posts