CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About time for a new rear tire. Has been feeling a little “unstable” at first tip into a corner - especially a right-handed. Pressures are fine, but noticed some cupping on both sides. Currently have a Michelin Commander II on with ~8,200 miles. Previous was a Bridgestone ExedraMax that went ~9,800 miles, and before that another ExedraMax that went ~10,100 miles, but was showing some cords. Thought the MCII would last longer than the EMax, but I did ride the MCII pretty hard.

My question now is: Since the MCII is not being made, anybody have any real experience with the MCIII? How does it compare with the MCII for mileage & performance? Should I go back to the EMax, which is cheaper?

Reactions: Stlburd2

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the mc3’s are great,though I’ve only done 6500km’s on them. Heaps better feel and a lot more compliant than the Pirelli night dragons that were on before.

·
Registered
30 Posts
About time for a new rear tire. Has been feeling a little “unstable” at first tip into a corner - especially a right-handed. Pressures are fine, but noticed some cupping on both sides. Currently have a Michelin Commander II on with ~8,200 miles. Previous was a Bridgestone ExedraMax that went ~9,800 miles, and before that another ExedraMax that went ~10,100 miles, but was showing some cords. Thought the MCII would last longer than the EMax, but I did ride the MCII pretty hard.

My question now is: Since the MCII is not being made, anybody have any real experience with the MCIII? How does it compare with the MCII for mileage & performance? Should I go back to the EMax, which is cheaper?
I like Michelin tires, never had complaints. But going forward; for me I will choose Bridgestone (original) or Michelin.
M y worst tire was Dunlop - NEVER again. And mechanical balancing, no beads.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
399 Posts
I went a different route. As many of you know, I ride between 13K - 20K miles a season (April - October). It has been my experience that it doesn't make any difference what tire I use, I only get 6k out of my rear tire. Yes, I tend to ride aggressively especially in the mountains. Front tire I get 12-15K miles.

The best tire I have found for my riding style is without a doubt a Shinko 009 Raven. This tire grips incredibly well, does not slip in the rain and (best of all) is inexpensive. I buy Shinko 009s for $60USD. For me.... why pay more for a fancy name that doesn't give me better use or wear? BTW, Yokohama (Japan) race tires sold their motorcycle tire business to Shinko (South Korea). Which explains why the tire performs so well.

Reactions: bob and Stlburd2

·
Registered
758 Posts
I run the OEM Dunlops and I've never had any issues on two CTX1300s. The front tends to wear out first when I primarily ride twisties and the rear wears out first when I primarily ride highways.

I ride in rain and even a little snow with no problems.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
399 Posts
Reactions: Stlburd2
1 - 7 of 7 Posts