CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I was wondering how difficult it is to remove the rear wheel.Is it easy peasy,like most BMWs and the Triumph Trophy,or do you have to disassemble
the whole back end of the bike,like some touring bikes?Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
First question...
Do you have the service manual?
Much needed if you really want to dig into doing your own work on this bike. I haven't looked into taking the rear wheel off as yet but with the panier removal being so easy and the exhausts ending in front of the rear axle I would think it's not that hard. The only real questions would be the proper torque for the axle bolts, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right,Bob,the service manual is a must,IF I buy a CTX.I realize that most
owners haven't had to replace the rear tire yet,nor had a flat.As you said,It wouldn't seem too difficult with the easily removable bags,short pipes and no
drive belt to deal with.The ability to remove the rear tire quickly is obviously
a big plus in the event of a flat tire,especially in these parts (hot,desolate desert).
Hopefully somebody can chime in.......

·
Registered
58 Posts
According to the service manual, here are the steps:

1. Remove rear brake pad (not caliper according to SM)
2. Left saddle bag (2 bolts)
3. License plate bracket (4 bolts)

That's it. I think it's no simpler or difficult compared to the average.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the service manual, here are the steps:

1. Remove rear brake pad (not caliper according to SM)
2. Left saddle bag (2 bolts)
3. License plate bracket (4 bolts)

That's it. I think it's no simpler or difficult compared to the average.
Thank you! Not bad at all.

·
Registered
446 Posts
According to the manual, yes. You only remove the holding pin and then slide the pads out (same idea front and rear).

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
@Joyrider I just did that on my old ST1100 just before I sold it last spring and these don't look a lot different in that respect. You do have to push the pistons away from the disk to get the pads out after removing the pin and a spring clip. Easy to do really.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
Any recommendations for a front wheel stand for lifting the front of the bike? I have a center stand already. I am about to change out the wheels (tires) and I think I need to either purchase, or build, a front wheel stand.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
I just purchased a Pit Bull Front Stand. I will report on how it works. I already had a Trackside Front Stand... it was to narrow and didn't work.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Hey guys,I was wondering how difficult it is to remove the rear wheel.Is it easy peasy,like most BMWs and the Triumph Trophy,or do you have to disassemble
the whole back end of the bike,like some touring bikes?Thanks
Hello Azulihawx,

Your question inspired me to make a video on how to remove the rear wheel on the CTX1300. Click the link to see my 'how to' video. Thanks,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oelb7hTpSkE

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Great video! Can't wait for the installation video. Changing the front?
I changed the front last March. I have many more miles left on that tire. The front is a simple job (when compared the the rear). I will be sure to make video when the time comes.

My new front brake pads just arrived today. I will make a video on those later this week.

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Any recommendations on how to "take it easy" when breaking in a new set of tires. Just had the metzler's mounted and they are awesome. Definitely can tell the difference in grip.

DA

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Any recommendations on how to "take it easy" when breaking in a new set of tires. Just had the metzler's mounted and they are awesome. Definitely can tell the difference in grip.

DA
I just ride conservatively for about 100 miles, then I don't hold back.

Some people rub their tires with sand paper to get the 'film' off so that they can ride more aggressively earlier. There are folks who disregard the 'break-in' period and just go for it straight from the shop!

Depends on your riding style and road conditions.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
What was the model of the front stand? 12"?
Not to push it, did the front wheel removal video ever happen?
Thanks!
P.S. Loved all CTX related videos, great job!!!
I have not made a video for the front yet. I am still on the same tire. When the time comes I will make one.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts