CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grrrr.... Yesterday I picked up a screw dead center in the rear tire. I plugged it and it is holding air but now I'm spooked. The tire has about 7000 miles and it looks like it could go another 5000. What do you all think? But a new tire or just ride it? And If I need to buy a new tire, what should I replace it with. I have no problems with the stock 200 one on there now.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Everything I've read and heard suggests it's generally not a good idea to ride a MC tire plugged. Bikes put different kinds of stresses on tires than cars. It's ok to get you back on the road and to your destination, but I wouldn't depend on it for the long term. I'd plan on replacing it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Grrrr.... Yesterday I picked up a screw dead center in the rear tire. I plugged it and it is holding air but now I'm spooked. The tire has about 7000 miles and it looks like it could go another 5000. What do you all think? But a new tire or just ride it? And If I need to buy a new tire, what should I replace it with. I have no problems with the stock 200 one on there now.
Ask yourself that question when you going 70 MPH on a busy highway. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I don't trust the Slime or similar instant tire plug stuff for long term. I also wouldn't trust a plug in the center of the tread for long term. I would say if it was a smooth nail and was in the side wall or way off center at least then I would probably ride it to normal replacement time as long as it holds air really well. A screw in the center of the tread is, for me, a deal breaker for that tire. I've run a plug way off center for a smooth nail hole with no problems for a whole season with no issues (was in the groove of the tread too so that helped). Even pulling a camper and running curves. But I've also taken a screw more central in the tread and ended up with belts ripped and a hole impossible to plug. If you can get a plug WITH a patch on the inside the tire might last... maybe. But why risk it.

Oh- haven't started looking for myself so don't know yet what to recommend for brand or model other than what is on there for now.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
If it's not on the sidewall, I'll patch it and run it. I have run a mushroom patch 6500 miles without a leak on my GW1500 that I'd had just a few miles on. I've used them on other bikes and for fewer miles and had same results.
This is the kit I bought:
Mushroom Tire Plug
Bought it in 1988 and last year the gun broke. About to buy another one.

As far as replacement tire, I'm not there yet, but if nothing else changes I'm considering the Michelin Commander II 200/55R17 which will set the rear up .8" approx.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Better to have peace of mind than worrying about it while running down the highway distracting you.

Since the plug is holding it gives you time to source a replacement tire.

Then go change it so you don't have that worry. I've run a plugged rear tire on a much lighter Yamaha FZ-1 but on our heavier CTX I think I would replace it.

Aloha,
Huladog

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'd replace it.....we only have two and they need to be good.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've ran thousands of miles on plugged tires. Never an issue. Most people don't know you're supposed to plug the tire, then set the plug on fire. When the fire reaches the tire, blow it out. Take the bike for a quick ride, and it will never lose a pound of air.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Actually Tire manufactureres reccoommend TO NEVER repair a sidewall puncture with a patch or plug.. The only type of repair that is reccommended is a vulcanizing patch or plug withan umbrella inside top too. that way you not only seal it from the inside with a sealing patch plus the sides of the plug repair the damaged punture with vulcanizing rubber so it actually becomes ONE WITH THE TIRE.
If you do it this way,, and you run it for another 5000 miles which it will do easily.. save the used tire long enough to cut the tread area across the repaired area,, the plug even when cut across will stay with the tire.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Speaking of tires has anyone done any research on what is available? Also I know of some GW riders that use a car tire, they are a lot cheaper and will last a lot longer. BUT I do NOT recommend a car tire on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I pulled my stock M/C tire off my CTX at less than 900 miles. I needed the added safety for a 12,000 miles plus trip mostly solo. I have been thru a couple od michelin Run flats on my wing and won't never go back to a MC tire. The improved bad weather handling is off the charts and ride comfort is definitely to my wifes liking,, Plus mileage,, average maybe on a good run about 11,000 miles on stock rear tire if you dont ride 2 up and loaded... I already have over 15,000 miles on my Bridgestone drive guard run flat on my CTX and it looks like it will go another 15,000

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Rear tire screwed.. me too

400 miles on my five day old machine. Today I notice a screw head in the rear tire. New tire on the way to replace old new tire.

I don't know how long the screw is. Don't want to take it out and chance a flat. In the very unlikely event it's a tiny screw, I'll have a tire for the future.

It's only $.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
406 Posts
By the way to save research time for those so inclined A Bridgestone Drive guard run flat 205/R50/17 fits very nicely in the rear wheel of a CTX1300. Good for at least 30,000 miles of carefree riding and unbelievably better rainy weather handling! btx45 on the front

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Today I replaced my tire with same. Screw pushed thru inside at least 1/2". Only remarkable that the tire never went flat.

Now looking for a magnetic sweep in front of the front tire. Or maybe a force field/phaser combo. I know, I know. Don't tap into existing wiring.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know it's an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in- came out this morning to a flat rear tire on my CTX with 257 miles on it. Didn't have time to find the leak, but I'll check tonight. Hopefully it's something that can be patched or a leaky valve stem, I didn't exactly budget for a rear tire at this mileage. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ride On tire sealant and balancing fluid was highly recommended to me so I tried the stuff after seeing a video on u-tube. Just replaced my worn our rear tire and found a nail puncture that had been there long enough for the nail head to wear off. Never lost any noticeable pressure (I check my pressure before each ride). I will use it from now on as pre-emptive protection. Not cheap but cheaper than walking.

·
Registered
279 Posts
just installed a new tire 1 hr ago
only had 7500 miles on it I could have stretched it longer but for $150 I feel better
its only and hours worth of time as I work in a tire store very easy install
the bike seemed to lean left due the the fact that Bobs friends made me destroy my tire last year at mnstock
just kidding Bob
bike feels better now on the read
I would feel a lot better on the road without a repaired tire on 2 wheels
that is an opinion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts