CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can have a less cumbersome way to secure my Shoei Neotec helmet, I am considering the CTX 1300 45 L rear trunk. Anyone have experience with the trunk? Is it big enough to hold a modular helmet?

bd

·
Registered
446 Posts
It can hold two of them.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Do you have one your CTX? If so how is it working out for you? Any issues with it?
Yes, I have one on mine. I actually had originally installed it on my ST1300 and took it off when I traded it about 12 years ago. I miraculously remembered where I left it in the garage and installed it on the CTX. It works great -- the lock loops are easy to access for unlocking and snapping shut, and it holds two helmets off the ground, away from hot exhausts and away from each other. About 8,000 times more convenient than the under-seat cable hooking ridiculousness.

Here you can see how unobtrusive it is:

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
SWEET!!:smiley-happy0034: Looks good & I might just have to get me one! Thanks for the picture! :ty:

Yes, I have one on mine. I actually had originally installed it on my ST1300 and took it off when I traded it about 12 years ago. I miraculously remembered where I left it in the garage and installed it on the CTX. It works great -- the lock loops are easy to access for unlocking and snapping shut, and it holds two helmets off the ground, away from hot exhausts and away from each other. About 8,000 times more convenient than the under-seat cable hooking ridiculousness.

Here you can see how unobtrusive it is:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You nailed it when you called the under seat helmet security cable scheme ridiculous. Not sure what they were thinking. Do they have firing squads for failed engineering solutions in Japan? I need to get a back rest for the Mrs. anyway, so might as well go with the rear trunk.

Thanks!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I recommend the top box.

Every time I see these discussions about helmet holders I am stunned that anyone would actually leave a helmet outside and uncovered.

Do you really want to wear a helmet that someone spit in? I've seen helmets that were spit in by drunken teenage sport bikers. I've seen worse from drunken Harley bikers.

And I'm sure we've all seen a helmet hanging upside down in the rain.

I carry mine with me when I go in a restaurant or store.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
You nailed it when you called the under seat helmet security cable scheme ridiculous. Not sure what they were thinking. Do they have firing squads for failed engineering solutions in Japan? I need to get a back rest for the Mrs. anyway, so might as well go with the rear trunk.

Thanks!
They've actually been doing this for awhile in several different models. I don't know if any other manufacturer does it, but I can't believe there hasn't been a massive backlash against it. General consensus seems to be it's not one of Honda's better ideas.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've put a a full-faced Shoei and a 3/4 face HTC in my Honda top box with enough room that I know I could fit two full-faced helmets. BTW, both are size XL. IMO, I wish the side cases were as functional as the top case.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
<clip> IMO, I wish the side cases were as functional as the top case.
It would be more functional, but her arse would shore look fat.... (Edit: Not mispelled, that's howz we tawk in Bama)

Reactions: psullam

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: not one of Hondas better ideas. The best security device for my Shoei is the carrying bag it came with. I end up throwing it over my shoulder and taking it with me everywhere I go. A bit cumbersome. I appreciate the comments an photos about the rear trunk. I'll order one this week. bd.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I installed the trunk last week. I found that that the Sena SMH10 mount makes the helmet too tall for the trunk to close completely if I have the 3/4 helmet in there as well. It fits fine all alone, but this discussion was about two helmets. It will still close and lock, but it isn't a tight seal. It is still significantly more secure than my previous helmet storage solution. I have a locking helmet hook on the XJ650, and I sometimes use that, but it is hiding behind the saddle bags. I found the helmet cable completely useless.

The other reason that I got the trunk was to provide some security for my passenger. The CTX 1300 has enough torque to make them feel insecure. (Enough gas to get the XJ safely out into traffic, is enough gas to give my CTX passengers a fright.) It performs this function very well. I have strapped backpacks to the backrest and luggage rack I have mounted on my XJ, but I couldn't see storing anything behind the factory CTX backrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Helmet storage is one thing I miss from my former NC700x. I could always drop my helmet in the "Frunk" (the storage area where the gas tank is on most bikes). It held my large Nolan modular with no problem. I don't want to get the Top Box for the CTX, so I am in a quandary as to what to do. Attaching it someplace to the exterior of the bike seems to have its problems as well. For the present I just take it with me. I read somewhere in a review on the CTX that a full face helmet was supposed to fit in the side case, but I haven't managed to do it. Maybe an extra, extra small helmet for a toddler might fit, but mine certainly won't. I would like the reviewer to do an actual demonstration of fitting a helmet in the side case, or retract the statement.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Before I got the trunk, I was using an elastic 6-hook net to hold the helmet down on the passenger seat (since the rear of the bike is so inviting to using a hooked net). Worked fine, the helmet was snug and I didn't have any incidents.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
I take my helmet with me at work. But when I go shopping or stop for eating out I use a retractable lock to lock it between the risers right side up on the top shelter. If it rains it's no big deal since it's right side up and the visor is closed. The bottom edge of the helmet is cusioned so no scratches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ordered the trunk

Thanks all for your trunk tips. I ordered the trunk. When it arrives, I'll have the dealer install the trunk and a 12V accessory socket. With that, good for the long haul.

bd

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'd carry mine in as well. Summer riding in south central Texas can get a bit warm (102) and bringing it inside somewhere cools the bucket down.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts