CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my rear trunk. Don't forget when ordering this accessory you must also have the lock cylinder, rear carrier and trunk base. The rear carrier is simple to put on . I couldn't figure out the trunk base. Just so you know, there are installation instructions on the Honda web site. Pull up the rear trunk base in the accessories section and in the lower right you can click on installation instructions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How hard is it to install the lock cylinder and such? It has to be fitted to your key I would assume? How hard is that? I can easily handle installation of the entire rear carrier and trunk base, but the lock cylinder doesn't have the instructions posted online, so I have no idea whether it's beyond me or not.

·
Registered
314 Posts
How hard is it to install the lock cylinder and such? It has to be fitted to your key I would assume? How hard is that?.
Tbone,

When I got mine, there were no instructions, but a sheet of paper with a web address. Follow the address and you will find detailed instructions on-line. I did not find it difficult at all to fit the tumblers to my key - in fact, I found it very interesting to see how a lock works! All the different size tumblers are included in the kit, and you just swap sizes in each of 5 (I think) places till your key works.

My dealer offered to do the work for me for 1/2 hour of labor, but I am glad I did it myself (and I am not really much of a do-it-yourselfer).

·
Registered
83 Posts
that looks doable. Now, I see that the trunk is stated as being "not perfectly water tight". Is the same true for the side cases?

Are side cases usually water tight? yep, I'm a total hard case newbie.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
While the seal isn't perfect they will keep water out as long as you don't pack them too full. If they are bulging then water will get in. Looking at the rubber seal you will see there is a bit of gap along the bottom where the ends of the seal come together. In really really wet situations water can seep in through this gap. If there are any other openings for added stuff water can seep in. One of the side benefits of the bottom liner I put in my bags is that the water that seeps in through the gap stays under the liner. When I added the 12v socket in the right saddlebag I encased the wire pair in shrink tubing and ran that through a grommet that was as tight as I could get it and sealed the grove and the hole with a rubber cement/sealer. The only time I've noticed even a hint of water in my saddlebags were in torrential rain on my camping trip (tornado warnings also) and the bags were packed to being just slightly tight. I had the same issue with the hard saddlebags on my ST1100. My GW saddlebags did have a hole for drainage in the bottom that I placed a bit of electrical tape over but they also still would get a drip of water in REALLY heavy rain. It's from the splash off the road slamming the bottom of the bags. Never been worried about having my laptop in it's carry bag in there since the most I've noticed is just that very little bit under the bottom liner. Just make sure the edges of the two shells mate up and are inline.

Having said that, I've never had any water in any top case I've had on a bike. I had the top case on the GW that was very water tight. The Givi e52 top case on my Burgman was also water tight. And also the Bestem top case I had on the ST1100 was water tight even though there was no rubber seal around the edge, just the overlap that did the job. If I had used a jet spray from the hose directed up at the case right at the edge of the closure I'm sure there would be at least some water get in on any of those top cases but never had that happen. Been in some really bad torrential rains where the cages were pulling off to the side with all of those bikes.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
that looks doable. Now, I see that the trunk is stated as being "not perfectly water tight". Is the same true for the side cases?

Are side cases usually water tight? yep, I'm a total hard case newbie.
They kind of have to say that; if they claimed these cases were completely water-tight, invariably some Einstein will remove them, fill them with whatever weighty materials they can find, and record them being submerged in the deep end of their swimming pool and then removed. The manufacturer will then have to figure out how to explain the viral YouTube videos showing their water-tight hard cases full of water.

Otherwise, it's like Bob said -- they're usually as water-tight as one would reasonably expect considering they are not mounted on submersible personal watercraft.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I have all the parts for my trunk except the inner lock cylinder. Dealer tells me that's backordered until mid-October. :-(

It really sucks that it appears the lock is necessary to securely mount the trunk. I have everything else assembled but can't quite convince myself it would be safe to ride with the trunk but no lock in place. Would be lovely to have that there so my wife could take advantage of the backrest on a ride.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I brought the trunk home from the dealer's unlocked (their parking lot was OK for assembling the big parts, not so much for the swiss-watch -like detail needed for the lock cylinder) and when I arrived and parked, I saw the latch didn't even move during the trip.

I guess you could tie a piece of small wire to the lock hole and then tie the other end to the luggage rack -- for added piece of mind.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, that link doesn't work too well.

After you click it, just pick the "Top Page" link and you can get to the right place to hunt for your documentation.

http://cssportal.css-club.net/honda/MCA/TERMS010.aspx

Maybe this one will work better.
Ken,

I know this thread is old, but I want to thank you for posting the link. My trunk didn't come with any paperwork in the box and I couldn't find any instructions by searching via Google (found one with different parts). I was about to go back to the dealer and I thought I would search the forum. Came across your post; problem solved!

Thanks again,

Don

P.s. My dealer forgot to order the cylinder and trunk base when I bought the trunk...go figure.

Reactions: JBone
1 - 12 of 12 Posts