CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm contemplating on ordering another rear rack & trunk, so I can switch out from rear backrest to the rear trunk if I need more storage when the wifey goes with me. I'm a little hesitant though cause I haven't seen one in person installed on these CTX's. They look pretty good in the picture though. I was curious for the ones that have the trunk already do they have any kind of liner that goes in the bottom of them? Let me know what you guys/gals think??

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
... do they have any kind of liner that goes in the bottom of them? Let me know what you guys/gals think??
No liner (see picture).
It's a perfect match to the bike, I wouldn't install a different one.
BTW it's made in Italy

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Some have deduced from numbering stamped inside that the Honda trunk is actually made by Givi. It seems to have both Honda and Givi part numbers.

I agree that it perfectly matches the bike. I also wouldn't choose another option, even for a cost savings.

Jeff

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the official Honda top box and it looks great and is a good size. There is no liner : I use plastic supermarket carrier bags to put my things in and that works fine.

Stretto Boy (England)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I have the official Honda top box and it looks great and is a good size. There is no liner : I use plastic supermarket carrier bags to put my things in and that works fine.

Stretto Boy (England)
Pro cycling for recycling when motorcycling?
I been reading to many of @bruceb posts :cool:

Reactions: DET57

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get the top box. It's worth it.
Don't do what I did and go through the dealer. Use E-bay. You'll save hundreds. In the end going through the dealer I forked out over $800 paying retail...

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. Thanks! I'm probably gonna call Honda of Troy (they're located in Ohio) tomorrow and order it. They quoted me an awesome price for everything. $500 for trunk,rear rack,trunk base plate,both pieces for the lock and that includes shipping!! I'd be dumb not to order it for that kind of price!

Get the top box. It's worth it.
Don't do what I did and go through the dealer. Use E-bay. You'll save hundreds. In the end going through the dealer I forked out over $800 paying retail...

·
Registered
59 Posts
For those who have the trunk mounted already, can you please post a few pics that can help describe the scale of the trunk? Photos with full size or half helmets would be helpful to get a better understanding of the space the trunk offers. Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Itll fit 2 full sized helmets with a little bit of space to spare. I can fit my full face and a leather jacket with full armor easily.

Another case is you can fit 2 30 packs of 12oz cans of your favorite beverage..:smileygarden_de_ban

You can fit some stuff in it..

Reactions: Jaxon

·
Registered
16 Posts
The trunk is great but I can barely fit 2 full size helmets in it (Shoei GT-air XL and Bell Vortex small) The Bell helmet has to be fitted on its side for the trunk to close. It may have to do with the shape and size of the Shoei. I would venture a guess that 2 GT-air XL would not fit.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
For those who have the trunk mounted already, can you please post a few pics that can help describe the scale of the trunk? Photos with full size or half helmets would be helpful to get a better understanding of the space the trunk offers. Thanks!
Do a forum search for trunk or top case and you'll find a few posts with photos. They have been posted in more than a few threads.
One of the better photo series is HERE for seeing the scale with 2 helmets in the top case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Does anybody know if it is possible to fit a top case from another manufacturer (like Givi) on the Honda rear carrier? My idea would be to fit the base plate of the other brand onto the Honda carrier. I find the Honda trunk small and expensive.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Does anybody know if it is possible to fit a top case from another manufacturer (like Givi) on the Honda rear carrier? My idea would be to fit the base plate of the other brand onto the Honda carrier. I find the Honda trunk small and expensive.

Thanks in advance.
I used a universal mount to add a Givi V47 on the Honda rack.
My pic thread: http://www.ctx1300forum.com/forum/honda-ctx1300-photos/7505-my-girl-posing.html
Since I did this, Givi also has a rack with mounting plate:
CTX1300 '14-15' : SR1134 MONOKEY REAR RACK
Depending on your abilities, you could probably mount any brand on the Honda rack and a little ingenuity.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I already have the backrest and rack mounted, can you simply take of the backrest and mount the genuine top-box/trunk on the existing rack?
No, you need to buy the base as well (and the lock):

Rear Trunk Base08L73-MJN-D00

Inner Cylinder, 1 Key08M70-MJE-D01

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks but Ive already got that part, had to get it to mount the backrest to the bike, i think i just need the trunk and key bits according to Honda Australia site. After i had the backrest and separate rack mounted i was given a box with 2 flattish plates and spare bolts and spacers, could this be the 'floating system' that the trunk needs?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Yes, That should be the floating system for the top case. Per the instruction page on the US Honda site, there is a carrier bracket and a carrier base plate. The base plate is what floats on the bracket. The bracket is what bolts solidly to the rear carrier that you needed for the back rest. The top case snaps onto the floating base plate. When I received my rear carrier (I didn't get the back rest since I didn't need it) I only received the rear carrier and the bolts to mount that to the bike but nothing else. Your dealer is giving parts away to you :) or maybe he charged you for those parts which is more than you needed for just the back rest :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Bob, a mine of information as usual. my dealer is a small country one who mainly sells off-rd bikes and knows less than i do about the CTX. it seems that you are right looking at what i have, they just seem to do things a little different here in AUS when ordering through Honda, so i already the have stuff i need to mount the top-case.

Thanks again all for the info.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts