CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't have any long-term endurance on quality but thought I would pass this along for someone wanting cheap touch up from stone chip where your seeing black. Found a $2 dollar enamel model paint that is red metallic that not a horrible match. 100% better than black plastic. Should help stop the edge from chipping further.

STOP SIGN RED METALLIC by Testors
sold at hobby stores by a paint company you might have used as a kid on a plastic model plane or car. Did a quick test on paper and looks okay to me, but for $2 you can do your own test paper and make your decision.

Of course I'm not saying its better than buying the $30 oem paint pen. Just an option.

I'll give it a try and follow-up with results.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood

Its a photo so you never get what eye sees but fair representation. My eye sees slightly darker, which might be from a coat of finger nail polish that was slightly darker.

The spot was there when I purchased, area was a little over half the size of dime. I was seeing black plastic and was a little indented.

Stirred and placed small amount of paint with tooth pic then spread with dollar store kids paint brush to get to edges. Doesn't look like a professional did it but its not black and from 6 foot away like walking buy its okay to me.
Certainly close enough for me to suggest you spend $2 and make your own decision by applying a few coats to paper then cut out so only color, then lay on bike.
Its a shame where my damage was but it down in fender or under side of mirror a walk by would probably pass.

·
Premium Member
729 Posts
View attachment 48249
Its a photo so you never get what eye sees but fair representation. My eye sees slightly darker, which might be from a coat of finger nail polish that was slightly darker.

The spot was there when I purchased, area was a little over half the size of dime. I was seeing black plastic and was a little indented.

Stirred and placed small amount of paint with tooth pic then spread with dollar store kids paint brush to get to edges. Doesn't look like a professional did it but its not black and from 6 foot away like walking buy its okay to me.
Certainly close enough for me to suggest you spend $2 and make your own decision by applying a few coats to paper then cut out so only color, then lay on bike.
Its a shame where my damage was but it down in fender or under side of mirror a walk by would probably pass.
Put a bandaid over it to give it character. 😁

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Put a bandaid over it to give it character. 😁
Thats kind of what last owner did with an ugly flower sticker, when he pealed it off another chunk pealed off to black layer with it. Not going to try to say good as new but certainly got my $2 worth. Mainly wanted to seal edge and just not have a black spot. Time will tell.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts