CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im installing the new OEM heated grips and the left side, which I thought would be tricky was 1-2-3.

I have the right side torn apart but need to remove the push pull cables (silver cables with little round peg things on them) out of the old throttle tube.

The heated grips come with a new throttle tube, so no gluing!

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do this. I have all of the nuts/bolts and stuff and was even able to take the grip OFF but still can't detach the throttle cables......

whats the trick? - then I can finish.... :ty:

· Registered
2,179 Posts
You need to loosen the throttle adjustment nuts as much as possible where the cables exit the throttle housing. The last time I did it (on my Thunderbird, but they both have a similar setup), I needed a pair of needle nose pliers to get the little barrel at the end of the upper cable out where it hooks in the throttle tube. Once that cable is out, you can rotate the tube around enough to get the other cable off easily.

· Registered
1 Posts
This didn't work for me. Maybe cause the bike is new and only 600 miles on it. So, there was no wear on the cable or the throttle grip.
I also researched the idea of loosening the cables at the carb/throttle butterfly - No go.

What I did was:
remove the 2 screws holding the housing together.
Turn full right giving as much slack on the cables I could get.
Pull the housing and grip off of the handle bar.
loosed the two nuts for the adjustment.
This gave just a little more slack. Then I was able to push the cable over the edge of the throttle tube and bend the tube over to get it out of the housing.

I was then able to reverse to get the new one on. I did not use pliers, etc.

Note: I was happy to see that the factory heated grips actually show up on the LCD depending on the level you set them at.

· Premium Member
89 Posts
Thank (insert deity of choice here) for forums, man. Using the @Michail1 Method, I was able to remove the throttle tube and finish installing my heated grips. :smiley-happy0034:

What's funny is I've employed that method probably a dozen times on other bikes, but completely spaced on doing it with this one. Probably because I was still so freaked out about getting the left hand grip done correctly.

This didn't work for me. Maybe cause the bike is new and only 600 miles on it. So, there was no wear on the cable or the throttle grip.
I also researched the idea of loosening the cables at the carb/throttle butterfly - No go.

What I did was:
remove the 2 screws holding the housing together.
Turn full right giving as much slack on the cables I could get.
Pull the housing and grip off of the handle bar.
loosed the two nuts for the adjustment.
This gave just a little more slack. Then I was able to push the cable over the edge of the throttle tube and bend the tube over to get it out of the housing.

I was then able to reverse to get the new one on. I did not use pliers, etc.

Note: I was happy to see that the factory heated grips actually show up on the LCD depending on the level you set them at.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.