CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, the replacement tire selection is terrible for this machine. I know it is relatively new, but. I cannot even fine the OEM tires listed anywhere, Dunlop D423. Seems like Metzler is the only aftermarket tire out there and maybe the Bridgestone Excedre Max. Anyone else having any luck?

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Thought I remember looking and finding Bridgestones and Dunlops last summer but really haven't needed them yet. Only have about 6400 miles on the clock and should be good for another 6000-8000 at least. I don't ride mega miles but I ride consistently. I'll be watching this thread since I plan to put on 8000+ miles this year so will likely need tires by end of summer. (work keeps me from going too far from home for each trip).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a little over 9000 miles on mine and plan a trip out west sometime in the spring. Started looking now. Tires are not worn out yet, but will not make the trip.

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The biggest problem is not so much in finding tires, but tires that are matched. There is all kinds of availability in the rear but no 18 inch fronts to match. Maybe the aftermarket will catch up later, but right now it is a real pain.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
1,053 Posts
I looked these up on Bike Bandit. I bought my last set of tires (for a different bike) from them.

2014 Honda CTX1300A DLX Motorcycle Tires, 2014 Honda CTX1300A DLX Motorcycle Tire - BikeBandit.com

I also used Revzilla. Here is a link to what they have for the front tire:
Motorcycle Tires & Wheels - RevZilla

And here is the rear:
Motorcycle Tires & Wheels - RevZilla
I just reviewed the links I sent. It seems Bike Bandit lists the wrong wheel size on most of the tire (sets) for our bike. Revzilla seems to be a better match. I found the correct tire sizes with matched tread patterns with Revzilla.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What about the Mich Commander II?
For the rear you could use the 55 aspect ratio (200/55/17)
Get matching tires, radials, and should outperform / last longer than OEM.
For rear comparison to stock:
200/50-R17 vs 200/55-R17 Tire Comparison - Tire Size Calculator
Looks like an additional .4"(10mm) of tire height under the fender.

·
Registered
406 Posts
@kniterider what tire did you put on front and how's that one doing?
I did not have a lot of choice when the stock motorcycle tire melted across Phoenix in Late August. I just managed to squeak 6000 miles out of it. Was not doing too bad until I hit I-10 across Arizona, I made it across to san ysidro ca, for my 3rd corner, but when I did a U-turn back to meet up with the SCMA for the 3 flags ride to Canada. It self destructed. The dealler did not have battlax to fit, I had to go with another stock tire. But, not the same as from honda. I have about 11,000 miles on this one .. Hopefully a Battlax will be available. I got spoiled on my wing on the darkside like going 33,000 to 40,000 on a set. I had 37,000 on Michelin alpin on my 2012 wing when it was totaled

·
Registered
117 Posts
I like the battlax and was hoping they had one for this bike. bummer
I absolutely hate the stock tire!
Aurora Honda put a Dunlop Elite (ive had em before ) and its much better . you may want to check it out.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I live in Jax, Fl. and have found Battleaxe tires at several places here. Come on down and get some of that.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Are you guys saying that your choice of tires is for longevity or for performance. Everyone likes tires to last as long as possible if you are going straight but can the tires handle curves at high speeds? Will that eliminate some choices.
What do you recommend for CTX performance on the curves

·
Registered
406 Posts
I prefer tires FIRST for pure safety,, then hopefully some fun time too. The stock tires on most modern touring bikes are way over stressed once you put two "average" americans plus a weeks worth of useless stuff in the bags.
Load capacity on the stock tire that came on my 2012 wing was about 904 pounds, The bike weighs that by itself.
The rear car tire ( Michelin alpin) about 1400 pounds plus run flat for about 100 miles. Plus safely plug the alpin with the umbrella vulcanizing type plugs and drive em till their bald.

I pulled the stock rear tire off my CTX just prior to my USA 4 corners & 50 CC & 3 Flags combo ride, 11650 miles in 17 days fully loaded and then some during some parts of the trip.
I had to use the Bridgestone drive guard run flat to get a close size match and have a rounded profile.
I kept up with everybody and passed average number of folks as usual.thru all the different moutains along the way.
plus the rain handling is awesome much better than the E-3s.
Finally the car tires DON'T need 40 plus pounds of air to get great wear... Only need about 28 to 32 psi to get better than 30,000 miles on them. If in doubt I will be hitting the dragon in the next month or so

·
Registered
446 Posts
(...)
Load capacity on the stock tire that came on my 2012 wing was about 904 pounds, The bike weighs that by itself.(...)
Probably because the bike has two wheels which share the weight. All my past bikes were in the same situation: rear tire load rating didn't cover entire bike's weight.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I used to mistakenly believe that too, until I took my fully loaded for a trip wing to the local state police truck inspector and he let me. Weight my bike loaded at each tire contact. With both people and fully loaded bags much of the loaded weight is behind center moment. If it was a Cessna 150 ,,it would stall instantly. Rear tire had well over manufacturers max. While front tire was still just barely still "safe"

·
Registered
117 Posts
Are you guys saying that your choice of tires is for longevity or for performance. Everyone likes tires to last as long as possible if you are going straight but can the tires handle curves at high speeds? Will that eliminate some choices.
What do you recommend for CTX performance on the curves
Longevity v Performance aren't always mutually exclusive. Also, straight v curves arent ither. It may help to go back to the "patch" dynamics of a bike to revisit this and help with tire options and performance.
Many tires have dual compounds, especially for heavy and high performance bikes. This address "curve v straight V longevity, etc in a complex but very beneficial manner.
Also, given cycle dynamics ( back to the patch approach) breaching the tire capability in any manner is related to many factors in any riding situation.
There are also the radius of the tire, its wet weather characteristics , feel, etc etc (ad infinitum)
And if that aint enough there is rating... speeding down a desert road on a low rated tire is a very , hmm, "poppy" situation on the wrong tire...
Oh, and riding style gets even more complex, certain riders can threshold that tire enough to compensate for impending loss of traction due to "feel" , while others need a forgiving tire ( with larger patch design ) for a wider band of forgiveness when your at a threshold.

Kinda overwhelming, really, all the factors in buying a tire.

·
Registered
117 Posts
to ad to my rant on tire choice factors. There is also the consideration of matchin bike dynamics to tire needs. As many know, the rear ( and arguably front) suspension characteristics of a CTX effects the tire needs. It only takes a millisecond to breach static friction and cause a tire situation . A "forgiving" tire may have a bike specific "accommodating"characteristic by design... This includes radius of the tire profile, as well as flexibility of the tread pattern and channels.
Even rake angles may factor into how much load dynamics can effect stability given certain aspects of the tire.
The right tire may be limited to simply the flaws , capabilities and characteristics of a bike!

Hmm, maybe that tire on sale needs rethinking... :)

1 - 20 of 154 Posts