CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the Honda side medallion?

See picture.

I am thinking about putting a plain chrome medallion there. Does anyone know whether it's just glued on or if it's part of the side panel?

Thanks,

Tony

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Don't recall for sure. I did replace that middle fairing part (left side) as part of my Broken Tab Story in the tech forums but that was already mounted on the panel when I got the replacements. I think it is glued, but just not sure. I don't recall seeing any peg or bolt or other stuff for that part on the back side of the panel. Other bits on that panel are held on by pegs and tabs (like the louvers just in front of that medallion.

·
Registered
446 Posts
By the looks of the inside of the cowl, it's indeed glued in place. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be the like of SuperGlue, but rather the gooey stuff you'd find in mobile phones today -- a generous application of a hair dryer should make it easy to remove, from the inside.

Reactions: willajabir and Tony

·
Premium Member
1,022 Posts
By the looks of the inside of the cowl, it's indeed glued in place. The good news is that it doesn't appear to be the like of SuperGlue, but rather the gooey stuff you'd find in mobile phones today -- a generous application of a hair dryer should make it easy to remove, from the inside.
If they are glued on you might try using a small diameter monofilament fishing line. Slip it behind the emblem and kind of use it as a saw. Probably easier if heated a bit with the hair dryer. Thats what I used on some Gold Wing emblems I replaced due to weathering.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Just curious, but I was wandering how come you wanted to change out your emblems on the mid cowling? I had thought about taking the "HONDA" off of the front shelter. Just because it's hard to get bug guts cleaned out between the letters, it never fails every time I ride it there is always a few wedged in between the letters that I have to try and clean out when I get done riding.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
Just curious, but I was wandering how come you wanted to change out your emblems on the mid cowling? I had thought about taking the "HONDA" off of the front shelter. Just because it's hard to get bug guts cleaned out between the letters, it never fails every time I ride it there is always a few wedged in between the letters that I have to try and clean out when I get done riding.
Install a bug whistle.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took the "Honda" lettering off the front Shelter the first day I brought it home from the dealer.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
What did you do to remove it? I've been contemplating on taking mine off too, but I don't want to leave any marks on the frt shelter piece. I assume they are held on by double sided adhesive molding tape? I think it would look better with them off too if I could do it without screwing anything up. Any info would be great!

I took the "Honda" lettering off the front Shelter the first day I brought it home from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
What did you do to remove it? I've been contemplating on taking mine off too, but I don't want to leave any marks on the frt shelter piece. I assume they are held on by double sided adhesive molding tape? I think it would look better with them off too if I could do it without screwing anything up. Any info would be great!
fishing line does well. I was out and used floss. Used light heat from a heat gun (VERY LIGHT). Cleaned up with goo gone.
Example uTube Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1cvaU2yLk

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Fishing line? What do you do. Warm up the area around the "HONDA" badge, then pull the fishing line between the badge and the front shelter? It doesn't scratch the paint? How much residue did you have left to clean off with goo gone?

fishing line does well. I was out and used floss. Used light heat from a heat gun (VERY LIGHT). Cleaned up with goo gone.
Example uTube Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul1cvaU2yLk

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Yes, using the line in place of the plastic wedge in the video reduces chances of scratches.
Residue can vary depending on heat, your patience, & how good it is stuck on.
Too many variables to answer definitely. Variables meaning how fast you force it rather than being patient, how much heat you use, how even you use the heat, etc.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Would it be too much trouble for you to take a picture of the front of your bike so that way I could see what it would like without the "HONDA" on the front shelter. I know your CTX is black and mine is red, but I would just like to have an idea of what it would look like without it. Was your emblem hard to take off?

Thanks,
Robbie

Yes, using the line in place of the plastic wedge in the video reduces chances of scratches.
Residue can vary depending on heat, your patience, & how good it is stuck on.
Too many variables to answer definitely. Variables meaning how fast you force it rather than being patient, how much heat you use, how even you use the heat, etc.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Here ya go...the white specs are clouds...you can see they go behind me in my reflection.
Edit: I forgot to answer your other question. No, they are easy to remove. I've removed them off ...maybe the last 10 bikes I've had (side panels and fairings).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Front emblem

Tony , I agree with you . I carefully pried it off and then used Goo Be Gone and it came off pretty easily . I also think it looks better . Have been taking them off Gold Wings for years . Clint :)

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
:ty: for the picture. Thanks for the info too! I agree with you, that I think it looks better with the "HONDA" emblem removed. Thanks again for the picture. I'm going to take mine off here in the next couple of days. :smiley-happy0034:

Here ya go...the white specs are clouds...you can see they go behind me in my reflection.
Edit: I forgot to answer your other question. No, they are easy to remove. I've removed them off ...maybe the last 10 bikes I've had (side panels and fairings).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts