CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
Nice work on the machine and the pics. You're a braver [and probably better looking] man than me.

I don't attempt anything that would disable the motorcycle if I fail. This work looks like a prime candidate for that category. I learned this lesson from experience in other areas. Plus I have paid to replace both middle cowls over the course of years.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That was a lot of work to assemble those photos, thank you Glen! I did my air filter and suggest you allow lots of time and space for the project. I used a blanket and laid the part so I could find everything to reassemble. Every step in the manual refers to another for a “first remove this panel see section ...” it isn’t hard just be patient. Warning,( as was previously mentioned by Glen ) the front coloured panel that wraps up to the headlight has a clip that hooks into the headlight assembly. I broke the tab and glued it back with plastic epoxy by JB weld, seems to be holding ok. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
473 Posts
When I installed the McCruise system, everything has to come out. - even the air filter! I replaced mine with a new one even though I had another 8-10K miles left on the original one. I figured might as well since it was all open. I don't want to do it again..... took me way too long to take it all apart.

·
Super Moderator
5,648 Posts
You should try replacing the air filter on a ST1300. It's basically the very same air box and filter but with a few important differences. On the ST you have to remove the upper gas tank (yeah, there is an upper and lower gas tank) to get to the top of the air box. On the CTX you just have to remove the top shelter and some electrical do dats stuck on top of it. On the ST the air filter just sits in the air box and is held down by the air box lid. On the CTX it is the same lid... as far as a million screws around the perimeter, but since there is also less space to fit the top of the air box in place without knocking the air filter out of place you have 2 screws to fasten the air filter to the lid to keep it in place. Some here have used the ST air filter (costs less usually) and drilled the 2 holes using the old filter as a guide and used slightly longer screws since most ST air filters have a thicker top plate. Otherwise it is the same filter and air box.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I waited way to long to change my air filter 33,400 miles.
Was quite dirty but such a ridiculous thing to get to, compared to my previous vulcan 900!
I installed the heated grips when I first bought the bike and had an idea of how long it may take. I planned an afternoon, and took my time, but that was how much time it took me!
20200323_144137.jpg 20200323_144116.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
I didn't think of that at the time, sorry, that was in September last year, but it was definitely ready for a new one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts