CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new bike out for a long ride today - about 8 hours. The large vibration in the handle bars over small road bumps is very bad HOWEVER when i put one hand on top of the fork plate in the middle there was almost no vibration at all.
It seems these long handlebars are resonating (vibrating 10 times more than they should) at certain road bump frequencies. I gather some people have added internal weight (lead balls, foam) to change this behavior. Is there a summary anywhere of what has been tried and how it worked ?
It seems like i am reading many pages of posts and then can't find them again. I am not sure it's even necessary to change the oil to 5w
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
James

·
Registered
413 Posts
I took my new bike out for a long ride today - about 8 hours. The large vibration in the handle bars over small road bumps is very bad HOWEVER when i put one hand on top of the fork plate in the middle there was almost no vibration at all.
It seems these long handlebars are resonating (vibrating 10 times more than they should) at certain road bump frequencies. I gather some people have added internal weight (lead balls, foam) to change this behavior. Is there a summary anywhere of what has been tried and how it worked ?
It seems like i am reading many pages of posts and then can't find them again. I am not sure it's even necessary to change the oil to 5w
Any help is appreciated.
thanks
James
I recall people have talked about removing the bar-end weights altogether to alleviate this. I haven't tried it, as I imagine if you did that, you'd trade some help with the violent shocks for a steady state of vibration through the bars at other times. It makes sense to me though, that if you took those end weights away the bars would be less likely to resonate. The weights are helping eliminate vibration but could actually contribute to a sort of resonant flap on a stronger hit. Or maybe I'm full of crap.

Others have raved about Rox anti-vibration risers, and there are several threads about them. I haven't considered these either, as I like my bars where they are and don't want to have to choose a new riding position.

Jeff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading many many posts i removed the weights at the ends of the handle bars thinking that as others have suggested it would change the resonant frequency.
What i noticed going over small bumps was the bars were not just moving a few times - they were actually vibrating like a tuning fork at the road bump frequency.
As soon as i removed the weight the finger breaking vibration was gone and the handle bars felt like a "normal" motorcycle.
I tried bare handed and could not notice engine vibration on my short rides. Perhaps on longer rides. But for now i see no need to change oil or shocks or anything else in the front end.
Next I will try adjusting the read shocks to 2 or 3
Removing the weights is the simplest thing to do and make a HUGE difference. Try it you will like it.
James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts