CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

Just another old fart checking in. Started back in the early 60's and my current ride is a 2010 VT1300CS (Sabre). Along the way I've gone from Honda 50's, mopeds, Yamaha's, Triumph, Wing, etc. etc. (And really, who cares:))

I'm seriously interested in a CTX1300D if it fits. My knees couldn't handle my GL1500 riding position even after investing $200 in Kury highway boards:(.

I haven't thrown a leg over the CTX yet to see if it fits but like its specs. "Professional" reviewers take issue with the CTX's stiff suspension. I have to tell you that my Sabre is a pretty stiff rider (at least until my derriere goes numb...:)). Anybody care to compare the ride comfort of the VT1300's vs the CTX?

My other area of concern is that I really like the Sabre's power. I prefer inline, opposed, or V4 configurations as they're more efficient, so I would hope the 1261cc displacement of the CTX still churns out equivalent--or better--power than the 1312cc V-twin on my Sabre.

Thanks for anyone's thoughts:wink:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I hate to say it but the bike seems to be turning into an old fart ride, at least on this forum. I have no problem with that since for me it is a very comfortable. I'm in my early 60's also as you and have no regrets about buying it. Plenty of power for me and handles my wife on occasion with ease. I'm not a long distance rider. About 2 house at max before I need to take a break. You need to ride one to appreciate it.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Springer!

I've noticed a lot of more "experienced" riders here too, but some younger (like us who are still close to 60) :D
Last time I was on my GW it was the most comfy ride ever. But this one beats that by a bit. I was not so comfortable on my ST1100. Getting too old to lean on my wrists even that much. Need my feet in front of my behind but not in front of my hands (if you know what I mean). If you are sitting in a comfy chair with your feet straight down from your knees you know about what it feels like to sit on this bike.

It's hard to beat the inline 4s for overall power at speed, but this bike is specially tuned for gobs of torque in the low range. Having said that I really cannot compare for you since I've never owned a VT, but I have owned the GL1500 (I know, not an inline) and this bike pulls away from that in the low range. I'm also a rather sedate rider and like to just take it easy, even when touring longer than a tank will take me. I'm not in a rush to get anywhere and want to enjoy just being on 2 wheels.

Hope you get to test one soon.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hate to say it but the bike seems to be turning into an old fart ride, at least on this forum.

Well, your 2 hr endurance beats me by an hour:wink:

I'm long past the stage where I need to prove anything to myself...or anyone else, either:)

But I do love to tour and even though I loved my GL1500, my most comfortable touring bike to date was my 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner. Perfect weight distribution, terrific suspension, great style (IMO) and a never ending engine room (113 cu) balanced like a Rolls.

Just don't have the knees to handle that heavy a bike anymore:(

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've noticed a lot of more "experienced" riders here too, but some younger (like us who are still close to 60) :D

Hope you get to test one soon.
:)

I wish I was still close to 60:(

My local dealer in Storm Lake promised me a test ride "when it gets warmer". Here in NW Iowa that might be July....Aug...

I'm with you on "sedate". I like to use my bike to get to my VA appointments in Sioux Falls and it takes me a little while to get used to the 75 (+)mph flow on I-29. The bike doesn't mind it, but I usually ride the back roads and have conversations with cattle:eek:

I really hope the CTX fits me (6'1"). Plan to swing a leg over one this week and then take one around the pasture "when it gets warm".:)

Thanks for the welcome.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Say, that's where I bought mine! 145 miles from home in West Des Moines. The local dealer was too proud of theirs to do much better than MSRP but would let me test ride it a few times. I do have the local shop do some maintenance that I don't want to do myself since they do a good job and don't over price on that, but they make up for it on new bike sales pricing. Storm Lake Honda had them beat by over 2000 at the time. I worked with the owners son who gave me a good deal.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I worked with the owners son who gave me a good deal.

Jeff is a treasure and his word is golden. If the CTX is what I'm looking for, it will be the 6th bike I've bought from him.

Can't say enough positive things about that dealership; they've been very fair with me.

Reactions: bob

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Hey @Springer,
Welcome aboard. Since retiring at a 'young' age, I started searching for just one bike to keep till I can't. In the last 2 years I started searching. If you were a member of the VT board, then you have seen my same user name there. And it seems like 'bob' is one of the admins there as well :D (I still yank their chains a lot)
I had the VT Interstate. It (VT) sits lower, a bit easier to handle (5'10" 200lbs 30" inseam) for me. I also had a V-Star and that bike was wonderful for the super slab or nice country roads, but it was TOO low(drug the boards on shallow twisties) and a few other small problems I just didn't want to deal with.
You definitely need to sit on the CTX to see if you are one of those that bump the shin (some do, others not) because you are a tall guy.
The CTX has sportier performance than the VT. So much torque. I'm happy with the stock seat unlike the VT or V-Star.
Summed up: Two things that are really different is the CTX throttle response is quicker/more sensitive and not as easy to man handle the weight in comparison to the VT. (YMMV)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks very much for the comparisons; exactly the areas I was hoping some people might have experienced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts