CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, the wife [ctx 700] and I finally got out for a big run.We rode 3,500km’s in 7 days including a rest day at the in-laws .This may be only relevant to Aussie people.After leaving home we headed south west to Wagga then on to Wentworth near the Victorian border, by this time it was up to 36 degrees ,stinking hot! .The next day we headed north straight up to Broken hill , a big mining town in the middle of nowhere ,bloody hot and near where they made Mad Max.The next day we headed to Bourke via Cobar, also In the middle of nowhere just 600k’s next to the other middle of nowhere!! The reason we head out this way is because we love the seclusion and small country towns, you can ride for an hour and not see another vehicle .We have intercoms so it’s great just riding and talking.The next day we headed across to Moree with the scenery getting greener after all the red dirt we’d been looking at the previous days.From there we headed across to Grafton where we managed To find 50 k’s of corners and100% humidity to go along with 35 degrees temperature. After a rest day at the outlaws we headed back down south to bathurst ,a easy 688kms in 36 degrees !
Did I mention the bikes! they both both ran faultlessly,my 1300 started to loosen up nicely as it still only has 17k on it .It ran at 5.1l /100ks for a couple of days but once we got out west and sat on 120 to 140 the average went up to 6.1/100ks.I pulled 190 k/h out of her sat bolt upright behind the screen but i couldn’t get the last 750 revs ,I think it maybe limited in top because I sat on that speed for a couple of k’s.
I replaced the tyres with new Michelin commander 3’s.I have to say they transformed the suspension,not the handling ,they steered the same as the pirelli night dragon’s but they are far more compliant making a softer ride,even the standard rear shocks were okay on our truly horrendous roads.The rear has a higher profile (200/55) than the pirelli because the rear tyre sits on the ground on the centre stand .The side opening panniers are a pain in the arse and I really wish I had of got a wind deflector for the standard screen , and yep my arse did get sore after a couple of days.Great bike,really great bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great story. I had my bike at 185 k/h, it was solid as a rock. I might have got more but a school bus turned onto the road :(
I backed off safely. All the bugs on the from look like my trips in Alberta Canada.
Beautiful bike!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Great photos and story.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi guys, the wife [ctx 700] and I finally got out for a big run.We rode 3,500km’s in 7 days including a rest day at the in-laws .This may be only relevant to Aussie people.After leaving home we headed south west to Wagga then on to Wentworth near the Victorian border, by this time it was up to 36 degrees ,stinking hot! .The next day we headed north straight up to Broken hill , a big mining town in the middle of nowhere ,bloody hot and near where they made Mad Max.The next day we headed to Bourke via Cobar, also In the middle of nowhere just 600k’s next to the other middle of nowhere!! The reason we head out this way is because we love the seclusion and small country towns, you can ride for an hour and not see another vehicle .We have intercoms so it’s great just riding and talking.The next day we headed across to Moree with the scenery getting greener after all the red dirt we’d been looking at the previous days.From there we headed across to Grafton where we managed To find 50 k’s of corners and100% humidity to go along with 35 degrees temperature. After a rest day at the outlaws we headed back down south to bathurst ,a easy 688kms in 36 degrees !
Did I mention the bikes! they both both ran faultlessly,my 1300 started to loosen up nicely as it still only has 17k on it .It ran at 5.1l /100ks for a couple of days but once we got out west and sat on 120 to 140 the average went up to 6.1/100ks.I pulled 190 k/h out of her sat bolt upright behind the screen but i couldn’t get the last 750 revs ,I think it maybe limited in top because I sat on that speed for a couple of k’s.
I replaced the tyres with new Michelin commander 3’s.I have to say they transformed the suspension,not the handling ,they steered the same as the pirelli night dragon’s but they are far more compliant making a softer ride,even the standard rear shocks were okay on our truly horrendous roads.The rear has a higher profile (200/55) than the pirelli because the rear tyre sits on the ground on the centre stand .The side opening panniers are a pain in the arse and I really wish I had of got a wind deflector for the standard screen , and yep my arse did get sore after a couple of days.Great bike,really great bike.
Sound like a grand adventure! I am curious about one thing. It appears at times you were in the arse end of nowhere. That being so, did you have any trouble finding fuel? Are there an adequate number of gas stations where you travelled, or did you need to bring spare petrol with you?
Cheers,
Bruce

·
Premium Member
2014 Honda CTX1300 Deluxe
974 Posts
Thanks for sharing the ride! I would love to visit and ride that area.

Chris

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sound like a grand adventure! I am curious about one thing. It appears at times you were in the arse end of nowhere. That being so, did you have any trouble finding fuel? Are there an adequate number of gas stations where you travelled, or did you need to bring spare petrol with you?
Cheers,
Bruce
Hi Bruce,mate in Australia you don’t have to go far from town to be in the middle of nowhere. If you stick to the main roads there is always fuel available.My wife and I rode around oz a couple of years ago and the longest distance between fuel stops was about 350km’s and that’s up the top end of Australia in a fairly remote area. Australia is big , about the same as the USA but I think the difference is we only have roughly 27million people ,could you imagine the US with only 27 mill ,it would be empty.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Bruce,mate in Australia you don’t have to go far from town to be in the middle of nowhere. If you stick to the main roads there is always fuel available.My wife and I rode around oz a couple of years ago and the longest distance between fuel stops was about 350km’s and that’s up the top end of Australia in a fairly remote area. Australia is big , about the same as the USA but I think the difference is we only have roughly 27million people ,could you imagine the US with only 27 mill ,it would be empty.
Hi Scott. I live in Canada, the world’s second largest country by land area. Our population is only about 37,000,000, but a large part of the country is virtually uninhabitable. The majority of our population lives along the area bordered by the United States. I have long harboured a desire to visit Oz. Maybe one of these days post-COVID, that will be possible.
Thanks for the info and insight!
Cheers,
Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts