CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody else having problems with the tar they are using to repair the roads where you live
the crack repair goop they are using in MN is really soft and makes the front wheel slide out from under you
I have stood the bike up in corners and went very wide because the bike felt like it was sliding out
I have never felt like this in 30 years of riding
don't know if this is a new formula or what but it is very concerning when it happens
talked to my Harley guy neighbor this morning and he agreed that it seems worse
2 months ago I was taking this thing all the way to the side if the tire
now I can barley take a corner in comfort
it feels like the front wheel is falling off
nope its not so don't ask haha

·
Registered
446 Posts
It may have something to do with the tire material too. There's a manhole cover in a turn very close to home, the Sportster would basically ice-skate over it if it was wet, the Venture didn't care at all, and the CTX1300 is about half between no grip change and some skating.

The Sportster had new Michelins, the Venture old Dunlops and the CTX1300 new Bridgestones.

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Tar snakes. Bad news. I haven't encountered any nasty ones lately, but some years ago it seemed like they were using some particularly slick goo everywhere, and just a little bit of wetness on them made the roads treacherous. Or maybe I've just learned to avoid them better over the years.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
On my trip to Wisconsin a few weeks ago I encountered a corner that was particularly bad for that. Lots of tar snakes on that section of road and the front did feel like it slipped on a curve. It was a short slip and I had visions of when I low sided my ST1100 in 2010. Some of the other riders in the group I was riding around with also commented on the very same thing happening to them in that section of road and they are on ST1300 bikes with a few different brands/models of tires. It IS the tar being used. Mainly that it is fresh. I am thinking that by end of summer after heat and wear and grit being carried by many tires being imbedded in it that those tar snakes will settle down and stop throwing our tires around. It will be worse before it gets better due to fresh tar and heat of summer. And then I hope it will be better. All tar snakes, and manhole covers and paint, are a danger when wet however, and nothing will change that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A couple months ago, I left for a ride in the sun but ran into a rain shower. I was in a straight stretch and saw the tar strip so i leaned the bike a little to get away from it. I then felt the front tire start to slip and then the rear tire at the same time. Scared the **** out of me!! Fortunately, instinct took over and I let off on the throttle and leaned the opposite direction. Closest I've ever been to thinking I was going to lay a bike down (in traffic). I don't understand why they can't put some abrasive material like sand or rock on the tar patches.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and I thought I was nuts
well on this anyway
yall know I am

1 - 6 of 6 Posts