CTX 1300 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
There's a small error in the article: CTX1300 doesn't have "throttle by wire", **** I wish it did! :D

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I like how it says 'retuned' instead of 'de-tuned'. Too many people like to jump on the lower hp number and ignore how much better suited this engine is now for this type of riding. I'm loving it, and it seems to be getting better with more miles on it.

8000 RPM Rev limit, eh? Anybody hit that yet??

·
Registered
131 Posts
Only just before I shift to the next gear:520::520:
:smileygarden_de_ban:smileygarden_de_ban

In reality as there hasn't been a need to. But I am not riding as much or often as I'd like... Yet!

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
I almost never get over 4000 rpm! why would I want to get to 8000? The 4000 rpm happens only when I forget what bike I'm on and think of the ST and even then I'm shifting right there.

I think the HP thing is rather humorous. The ST Owners get all bent outta shape about this bike having lower HP and if they'd actually look at a Dyno chart (I have copies from both CTX and ST) they'd notice that at anything under 5000 rpm the CTX1300 is higher HP and torque than the ST1300, and the other way around at over 5000 rpm. At 5000 rpm they are the same!

I'll likely never have a need to see 5000 rpm, let alone 8000. With 75 mph at just near 4000 rpm...
I never had a need for that engine speed on my ST either so I really never fully utilized or realized the power range on that bike. Part of the reason I like this one SO much better!

·
Premium Member
404 Posts
I never had a need for that engine speed on my ST either so I really never fully utilized or realized the power range on that bike. Part of the reason I like this one SO much better!
To be honest, I've been wondering how you ended up with an ST. From what you've told me of your riding style and other preferences, the CTX is a much better fit for you. Admittedly the ST was a sexy-looking bike and had as much power as you could ever want. That's what I thought of the Shadow until I tried to ride it for any distance. If the CTX had been available in 2011, I think I would have bought it instead of the Shadow, though the difference in price was substantial. I guess I needed the Shadow to tell me if I was still interested in riding after being away from it for six years...and it turns out that I was!

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
To be honest, I've been wondering how you ended up with an ST. From what you've told me of your riding style and other preferences, the CTX is a much better fit for you. Admittedly the ST was a sexy-looking bike and had as much power as you could ever want. That's what I thought of the Shadow until I tried to ride it for any distance. If the CTX had been available in 2011, I think I would have bought it instead of the Shadow, though the difference in price was substantial. I guess I needed the Shadow to tell me if I was still interested in riding after being away from it for six years...and it turns out that I was!
Well, first, remember that he had a ST1100, which was a little more tourer and less sport than the ST1300. I had both, and I still think I liked the 11 better than the 13, just because it was a tourer with a sporty twist rather than a big sport bike with bags, and because it was way more comfortable (to me, anyway). Also at the time, for touring bikes from Honda, it was either that, a dressed up cruiser, or a Gold Wing. Big difference in tastes and styles there.

Go ahead, Bob, feel free to jump in now that I've answered for you. :D

·
Super Moderator
5,676 Posts
What he said...
Yeah, at the time I was still on my quest to find something just like the GW without the bulk and wanted also a little better mpg than the 32-33mpg I was getting on the Wing. I wanted the touring comfort and the power that was available in the Wing but it was just way too difficult (massive) to manage in congested areas.
I was considering a Moto Guzzi California that was sitting in the dealer used bikes area but considered too long and it was gone. Then the ST1100 showed up. Just to make sure about it I tested a new Connie 14, but that was way more sport than tour and I was definitely leaning on my hands. I'd have to add 4-6 inch risers that bring the bars back more than up to compensate. The ST felt much better and, as Ed said, nothing else was really available in that class. The ST came the closest I'd found yet. More nimble and good at touring with a longish wheel base. Well, along comes the Honda CTX1300 and the ST suddenly became a bit too sporty for me. It really always was but it would play tourer as well I needed for the time I had it. I never really used anywhere close to its potential to get up and go. Never had a need for that kind of riding. So far at least the CTX1300 is everything I've been looking for since I sold the Wing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts