CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I finally got around to installing the 2" Rox Antivibration Risers. Price on the internet ranged from $165 to $136. Had to remove the two holders that held the lines and wires but after I did that there was plenty of length with no or little binding or stretching. It was getting dark and only had time for about a 15 mile test run going from slow city streets up to about 80 mph. These risers have several interesting and positive effects and I was a little concerned because you can easily now wiggle the bars up and down. The overall effect is to dampen or completely remove the tendency of the tuning forks to transmit the road surface. I hit some expansion joints and did not get that characteristic CTX jolt. Voila! However, the sharp jolts and hits are now replaced with a much milder and softer vibration due to the dampers. I'll :smiley-happy0034: gladly take the latter rather than the former.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Wow! I may have to get a set of these.

As I put 240 miles on the bike the other day, I noted my left elbow was sore, my right not as sore, but it seems like it is the "tennis elbow" syndrome and I seriously was thinking I need to sell this bike or do some heavy duty modifications to the forks.

I may check in with you in a few weeks to see how they are working once you get a few more miles on them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Miks,
I posted earlier about the exact same problem with my elbow. It is the medial or inside bone of the left elbow. I took the bike to a local independent shop and the owner sat on it. He agreed that the sweep on the handlebars is odd...puts the wrist at a strange angle and thus probably also stresses tendons to the elbow as you work the clutch. That's also why I went to an adjustable clutch lever...to decrease the clutch pull. We have been plotting a handlebar replacement scheme with a 7/8" aftermarket bar that involves shims (1 1/8 to 7/8) at the risers and at the brake and clutch cylinders (1 to 7/8). But I'm going to fully test these antivibe risers before I go that route. Luckily also this modifying is relatively cheap.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is the EXACT problem I am having on my left elbow, more than the right one...but that gets a little stressed also.

I was considering the angle of the bars, since a friend of mine put new apes on his Victory, and he started to have problems, so I was thinking about doing the old dirt bike modification and twist the bars to a different angle myself.

But, with the Rox bar adjustment, I am curious how this helps you out. The bars - how do they feel in the new position? I have put a lot of risers on my bikes over the years, it is amazing how 1 1/4" can change everything, this is a 2" change!

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
What's this about a weird hand or wrist angle holding onto the grips on these bars???
I don't notice any real difference between my CTX and and other bikes I've had except perhaps a very little bit. Are you all trying to hold the grips with your wrists at a direct 90° to the grips? That's the only way I can see a bad angle. I never hold the grips that way I use a tennis or more of a golf club grip (same as I've used on my ST, Burgman, and GL), and I see no problems with the angle of the grips. Makes me wonder if there are different bars on some CTX1300s, and different suspension too while we're at it. Just wondering about this. :350x700px-LL-66dd6d

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Nah, I kind of agree, these aren't the most comfortable bars in the world for hand position. I think it's because they're angled back toward the rider a little more than others. Though they're certainly not the worst, either.

The absolute most comfortable bars I've ever had were on the '95 Shadow 1100. The grip ends dropped down, almost like bullhorn bars, and provided the most natural feeling hand position of any bike I've owned. I'd kill to get bars with a similar position on the CTX -- if I knew they wouldn't look completely stupid on it. Trouble is the three different diameters on a single bar and non-chrome finish will make it highly unlikely to find replacements other than total custom jobs.

Note to Miks -- I wouldn't recommend using a 7/8" tube all the way with shims. Because of the amount of pullback, that thin a tube might end up with too much flex (besides possibly looking like a long string of spaghetti); not to mention too little clamping force on the riser clamps. Might be good for researching the right shape and length, but by I wouldn't use it for a permanent replacement.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nah, I kind of agree, these aren't the most comfortable bars in the world for hand position. I think it's because they're angled back toward the rider a little more than others. Though they're certainly not the worst, either.
I agree with sleepingbear... the angle in not quite right. I don't suffer any pain in elbows, but after awhile I start to feel a pressure in the outside edges of my palms. My Magna bars were a bit straighter and did not cause me any problem.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I find the hand grip position and angle to be just about perfect. No strain on either of my wrists.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok....everyone sit back and get ready for some big news. I gave the Rox Anti-Vibe pivoting risers an honest shakedown this afternoon. I can only describe the result as transformative. No more jolts and shocks...at all. The real test was a little parking lot where I often end my ride. The surface is hard coquina with rocks and previously it was a horrible experience. With the Rox antivibe risers I just cruised over it with no shaking or jiggling at all. I feel much more in control of the bike now that I'm not bracing for the next bump. An added bonus. When stopped and at idle, you can feel the pistons firing through the bars. Strange but pleasant. The correct part number is 1R-AV2PP. I got mine on ebay for $137. The repositioning of the bars also feels more comfortable but this will take very long ride to determine if the elbow pain problems is solved. I'm very optimistic that this problem is also vanquished.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Flytrap,

I will keep an eye on this, as I thought I would try removing the bar end weights to see if that helps or not. Not a money issue, I am trying to isolate where the real problem is.

I did watch a video on the Rox Risers for a BMW 1200GS series bike, and I liked the adjustability of the bars for height and angle. This is probably the fix I need, your experience seems to be fantastic...any downside to the mod you can pass along?

I noted my elbow hurt a lot more after I rode without my riding gloves on for about 100 miles...it was nice, the heated grips felt good, and I was making a few calls on my phone while driving, so I needed my fingers to be able to swipe the phone. I am going to go back to the gloves this weekend and put some miles on, but I think this is the mod that is going to be a MUST HAVE for me.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Miks,
I posted earlier about the exact same problem with my elbow. It is the medial or inside bone of the left elbow. I took the bike to a local independent shop and the owner sat on it. He agreed that the sweep on the handlebars is odd...puts the wrist at a strange angle and thus probably also stresses tendons to the elbow as you work the clutch. That's also why I went to an adjustable clutch lever...to decrease the clutch pull. We have been plotting a handlebar replacement scheme with a 7/8" aftermarket bar that involves shims (1 1/8 to 7/8) at the risers and at the brake and clutch cylinders (1 to 7/8). But I'm going to fully test these antivibe risers before I go that route. Luckily also this modifying is relatively cheap.
I fully agree with the WEIRD angle on the wrists with the stock bars, COMLPETELY wrong for a long ride,, as in 1000 + IF you succeed in swapping for a decent set of after market bars would really be interested.. I have been pestering HELI BARS but to no avail yet

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
FYI. Yesterday we rode about 300 miles, most of it on back and secondary roads of South Carolina. There was a short stint on I-95. I am will once again confirm that the Rox Antivibration Risers completely changed the riding comfort of the CTX. No elbow pain. Less fatigue. And the 2 inches of extra pull back also reduced neck and shoulder pain. I am now wondering if the front suspension "problem" is not a problem at all and instead was an issue with the stock risers and handlebars. But then I'm anxiously awaiting the here the results of the front suspension upgrades. And of course now that I don't feel the jolts of the front suspension I'm more aware of the shortcomings of the rear shocks. Never ends...

·
Registered
279 Posts
I talked to Dan at Traxxion this morning and they would be building them late today or tomorrow
it would be awesome if I got them by weeks end but I assume it will be beginning of next
I told him to go with the ak-20s

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes. Totgojef is correct. They need to be 1 1/8 and 1 1/8. Good luck getting them in black. They were out of those everywhere I looked, but the dull natural silver looks pretty good.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The correct part number is 1R-AV2PP.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts