CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my CTX700 at speeds of 70mph and above the RPMS were around 4000.

I figured the 1300 would be at lower RPMS at those speeds. It is not. I am still right at 4000 at 70mph.

Is that correct? Should the RPMs be that high in 5th gear?

TIA....

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
Yup. Sometimes it sure feels like it could use another gear or just a taller final drive, but that's what it is. Honda seems to do that a lot, and I'm not quite sure why. On the CTX1300, my guess is that after reworking the cam and timing for more low-end torque, they just didn't want to do any more R&D on the drive train beyond what they already had with the ST1300. You also run the risk of making it too much less responsive if you gear it too high, so maybe they intentionally left it like that. You get used to it. I don't think I've owned a bike yet that I'm not fishing for another gear that isn't there at one time or another -- even on the 6-speed Thunderbird.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
+1 what Ed said. This bike still retains a lot of its ST1300 heritage.
Also, I took note some time ago what speed in 5th gear was at what rpm. 70 mph is actually under 4000 rpm, but only by a few hundred rpms. You should get to 75 mph just after 4000 rpm. Here's the chart I came up with. Much of it is calculated based on rpm at 35 through rpm at 75, and verified with what I was actually getting at speeds in between. I'll able to test out the higher end of the scale better on my trip to Spearfish, SD on Wednesday.

As you can see here 100 mph is still well below the redline, even below the rpm for peak HP. Though acceleration will slow and it will take longer to get faster after that.

Yes, you will get used to the little bit higher rpm on this engine. My GL1500 was lower rpm for the same speed but not by that much really.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I was a little worried about not having a 6th on the ctx1300, but my 900 Vulcan is only a 5speed also and it has went many a mile at 75mph, but I also installed an overdrive front pulley to get a little less rpms, the speedo now reads correctly, apparently the engineers decided it is better to turn engines at higher rpm than lugging them with a 6th. I have read articles on piston ring damage from lugging engines around. One thing about it you usually don't have to down shift to pass someone!!
by the way my Toyota celica turns around 4000rpm at 75 also, manual shift 5speed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree that the engine has retained a lot of the ST1300 traits. I view 5th gear as an overdrive. And certainly, when you need to pass a car or accelerate quickly, make good use of 4th. It is not a V-twin.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Lol :520:

As originally stated, much of that data is calculated based on actual results within a certain legal range. In South Dakota the interstate speed limit is 80. So I could verify the results at that speed. OK, maybe up to 85 just safely keeping up with some of the slower traffic there. All other results below that speed are verified legally. I'm sure you can find someone to verify anonymously the results at speeds over 80. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yeah that problem with HONDA and its refusal to put a true highway gear in their "touring " bikes is my main complaint. The wing has so much available torque being generated needlessly at in 5th gear at 65 mph that even when pulling another bike up the middle of the country I never needed to downshift to maintain cruise( 65-75) remember I was towing a KZ440 on a heavy duty trailer. You can tell the need for another gear when gas mileage varies very little between running light and towing something, 32 mpg towing bike, 35 empty.. Had same issue on my USA 4 corners ride with the CTX at 75 to 85 engine screaming way above sweet spot and about 34 mpg

So Far triumph trophy with its REAL 6th speed OD averaging about 47 to 52 mpg,,at steady 75 mph loaded,
LAMonster from the gl website used to make an aftermarket true OD unit for the gl1500, he was able to get better than 50 mpg at real highway speeds not cruise set on 55 mph

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
If I still lived in Arizona, I would volunteer to add to the research data. But here in the Pacific NW, I have no roads safe tor ride such speeds nor vistas to spot those who frown on such experiments. Not even nearby tracks to run on.

OTOH, I spent some years skydiving, so I have enjoyed the fast life. And I have a 100meg internet connection.:smileygarden_de_ban

·
Registered
268 Posts
I was running with my son in-law awhile back when he decided to go for top end. He rides a tuned FZ-1. On a long straight concrete road he lit it up and was pulling away like I was up on the centerstand. I twisted on the CTX and held it pinned until it wouldn't pull anymore. The GPS registered 124 MPH. Never thought to look at the tach. Hey...as long as it is faster than a Harley...I'm happy!
When Jay had slowed to the point where I caught up to him, he had registered 161 MPH. Not record setting but pretty darn fast never the less.

·
Registered
406 Posts
well if anybody is desperate to find out top end is,, meet me on a nice stretch of I-95 here and I will get behind you with my funny car with the red and blue lights and pretend I am chasing you

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
well if anybody is desperate to find out top end is,, meet me on a nice stretch of I-95 here and I will get behind you with my funny car with the red and blue lights and pretend I am chasing you
And when you pretend to not be pulling me over, I'll pretend to not mind you pretending to not pull the book out of your trunk to pretend to throw at my head. And I won't even pretend to not offer you a donut. :tongue:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use the "Waze" app on my GPS/Phone all of the time https://www.waze.com/ . Great for identifying road hazards, traffic jams and police traps.
99% of the time I'll see you .5 miles before you see me. Most of the time I'm a law abiding citizen. Every once in a while I'm not. Just saying.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Shame on me...I live 40 minutes away and have never been. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts