CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife dropped her bike and scratched the saddle bag I started looking for a shop to get it re painted. Then I figured it would happen again since she is 5'2" and tip toes at stop signs. And it did. Here is my solution and it looks pretty good.
The pictures show the damaged saddle bag. I removed the painted cover by removing one screw from inside door. The painted panel is then secured by two sided tape and some tabs. Working it loose required some force and butter knife. Then I bought some 3M carbon fiber vinyl wrap on ebay and the results came out pretty good. (watch some Youtube videos to show you how to apply)

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Solution looks good. I like it. After you get the saddle bag on the bike take another picture please.

My wife is also 5'2". She was going to ride mine and she couldn't even get her tippy toes down when she sat on it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm really interested to hear that because I had exactly the same idea after I dropped mine. I bought the 3M wrap a few weeks ago but haven't got round to fitting it yet. This will inspire me to do so as soon as my bike is back from the dealer with its new clutch fitted.

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moxie it her new skirt

Here is the picture of the saddlebag on bike after carbon fiber cover. I ordered a protective pad that I hope to protect the vinyl wrap.
Not sure if its going to work but it was only $10

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Like it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
That looks great! You should sell the idea to Honda.

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have a nephew that lives two doors down from me that is the Mossy Oak Hydro Graphics dealer in a three state area. He dipped a slide of a 1911 45 in Carbon fiber awhile back. I been thinking about removing the black panels of my Blue Deluxe and having him dip those in Carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BigDaddy

The saddlebag panel is easy to remove and the rest is all about equipment. You need to start a post to see who would like the Hydro Graphics done to their plastic parts. Motorcycles are all about customizing and being a part of your personal taste. Show us a sample and lets see where it goes.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm really interested to hear that because I had exactly the same idea after I dropped mine. I bought the 3M wrap a few weeks ago but haven't got round to fitting it yet. This will inspire me to do so as soon as my bike is back from the dealer with its new clutch fitted.

Happy riding all.

Stretto Boy
NEW CLUTCH !!!!! What sort of mileage have you done?
Cheers Melv

·
Registered
413 Posts
Seeing the results of that make me interested in the possibility of treating ALL the bike's plastics with such a solution down the road.

I absolutely love my Ion Blue paint scheme, but I've also observed the paint on this bike isn't going to last forever: I have rub marks from pants seams on the sides of the faux tank, and paint rubbed off the side of a mirror where I let it contact a cardboard box when I had it parked in a tight spot in the garage over the winter. That one really amazed me.

Jeff

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all,

It looks tricky (to me at least : I didn't inherit my father's engineering skills!) to get the saddlebag covers off so I haven't as yet tried the film wrap approach. What I have done, as a cheap and cheerful fix, is to put some bumper and body protector strips over the painted panels. This covers the damage and provides some protection if I drop it again.

The slight problem is that I couldn't affix them parallel to the top of the saddlebag : had to mount them with the leading edge slightly upwards. If I had the front edge lower it wouldn't cover the damage and if I raised the trailing edge it would obscure the side reflector. I did think about putting the protector strips over the reflector and putting a new reflector over the strips but I didn't think that would look quite right.

The good news is that the matt finish on my Richbrook strips is a near perfect finish for the black plastic panels on the saddlebag. Much better than I could have hoped for.

I will keep things as they are until the bike goes in for service. Will then probably ask the dealer to put on a new red panel and then re-affix the protection strips. With no damage to cover up, I will then be able to put the strips on in the correct position to give some protection against the further drop that I hope never occurs. I think that, correctly positioned, they will look pretty good.

I hope to attach a photograph, if I can work out how to do it. If successful, I would be interested to hear what you all think.

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

P.S Couldn't attach the photograph as the file size is too large. If I can re-size it, look out for a further post.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can tell you that MOST of the scratch damage will occur in the upper painted part of the saddle bag. I know since my wife has dropped her bike three times and a fellow rider has dropped her bike three times If you are going to go the route of a bumper, add protection on both lower and upper part of painted panel. If you are going with the tough 3m vinyl that can be removed and reapplied, here is where I bought mine.

3M Di NOC Carbon Fiber Silver Wrap Film 24"x48" 8 Sq Ft | eBay

This should be enough to do two sides. DO NOT buy the cheaper vinyl wrap. This stuff is much thicker.
Watch youtube videos to learn how. practice on small piece. Don't forget the 3m primer to make sure the ends stay glued on. It take a very small about of primer per side. i would say 1/4 of a tea spoon Be patient.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks for the tip Menosabe. The interesting thing is that I have dropped mine twice and each time the damage has been to the LOWER part of the painted panel : the strip I have used covers both bits of damage, which was admittedly barely noticeable for the first drop.

It may be that the bumper which I have used MIGHT (as it has a bit of thickness to it) just be enough to keep the upper part of the panel off the ground but I appreciate that there are no guarantees.

I like the idea of the tougher wrap as extra insurance, so many thanks for your advice on that.

Happy and safe riding all.

Stretto Boy

·
Registered
227 Posts
I can tell you that MOST of the scratch damage will occur in the upper painted part of the saddle bag. I know since my wife has dropped her bike three times and a fellow rider has dropped her bike three times If you are going to go the route of a bumper, add protection on both lower and upper part of painted panel. If you are going with the tough 3m vinyl that can be removed and reapplied, here is where I bought mine.

3M Di NOC Carbon Fiber Silver Wrap Film 24"x48" 8 Sq Ft | eBay

This should be enough to do two sides. DO NOT buy the cheaper vinyl wrap. This stuff is much thicker.
Watch youtube videos to learn how. practice on small piece. Don't forget the 3m primer to make sure the ends stay glued on. It take a very small about of primer per side. i would say 1/4 of a tea spoon Be patient.
I went to the link you provided and it looked like the pattern was lighter, but since your pics showed regular dark colored carbon fibre pattern, I ordered it from the link. I figured that what I was looking at on the link was possibly the dark stuff with a peel off over the pattern or something. When it came in, it is a silver color and definitely not what I was wanting. I am hoping they will exchange it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts