CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd noticed a clunking noise last night on a long ride, but I was always riding fast enough that the wind noise prevented me from isolating the source. I thought it was my wallet I had up in one of the fairing pockets.

Just went on a quick ride around during lunch and hit some bumpy road going slow, and realized it's the saddlebag latches I'm hearing. They have a bit of play to them and it seems that when shaken violently, the latches are banging against the bag lids.

I saw mention of this in earlier threads but no dedicated conversation, so I figured I'd start one.

The bolts holding the latches on are tight, I checked. There simply seems to be a gap between the lock tab and the fixed tab that the lock tab aligns with.

I can see a few solutions:
  • put some material, like a bit of adhesive moleskin, on the bag lids so the plastic latches don't bang directly on the lid plastic.
  • bend the fixed tab downward so that it more securely engages the lock tab (I don't particularly like this)
  • maybe make some kind of sleeve for the fixed tab to thicken it up and eliminate the room for play

Is there any other solution anyone else has put in place to correct this? It's annoying. But so far as I can tell the bag is properly installed with everything tight and nothing missing, so I can't chalk it up to assembly.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,723 Posts
Only other thing I can think of is what I suggested to consider in that other thread...
to put some sealed foam weather strip under the latch lever on the inner shell to provide some constant pressure to stop any rattling. Maybe 1/4" to 1/2" thick would do it and maybe a half inch wide by a few inches long. You'd have to hold the latch down to lock it but you kind of have to do that anyway.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, I didn't read that full suggestion in the other thread.

I just removed the latches and determined there's a bit of play built into the lock -- it's simply got about 1/8" inch or so of gap between parts that then, combined with the rest of the latch construction, can seem to magnify into a greater amount of play on the whole latch, more like 1/2". Part of tightening it up can be accomplished by making the fixed tab of the lock mechanism thicker. I actually just wrapped a bunch of electrical tape around mine on both sides to try out that theory and they are MUCH more snug now.

You can see which piece I mean here, next to my thumb:

The remainder of the solution would have to be, as you said Bob, to line the inner shell under the latch lever with something so that the plastic-on-plastic contact is avoided.

I'm convinced after investigating that this problem probably exists on most CTX's, and it's just those of us in areas with particularly crappy roads who notice it. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,174 Posts
I think it's hit and miss. Somebody here has two CTX's (can't for the life of me recall who at the moment) -- and as I recall, on one of his the bags rattle, and on the other one they don't. I know mine don't, but there's enough people mentioning it here that it's obviously a consistency issue on some bikes.

But electrical tape -- duct tape's oft forgotten brother. I used it on the rear latch on one of my MINI's that would rattle horribly over bumps. Put a few wraps around the D ring figuring I'd be replacing it every few months. I traded it three and a half years later with that first tape treatment still in place, and it never rattled again, even though I used the hatch plenty. Chances are you'll be good now for a long time; and if it does start rattling again, you know how to fix it. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's hit and miss. Somebody here has two CTX's (can't for the life of me recall who at the moment) -- and as I recall, on one of his the bags rattle, and on the other one they don't. I know mine don't, but there's enough people mentioning it here that it's obviously a consistency issue on some bikes.

But electrical tape -- duct tape's oft forgotten brother. I used it on the rear latch on one of my MINI's that would rattle horribly over bumps. Put a few wraps around the D ring figuring I'd be replacing it every few months. I traded it three and a half years later with that first tape treatment still in place, and it never rattled again, even though I used the hatch plenty. Chances are you'll be good now for a long time; and if it does start rattling again, you know how to fix it. ;)
Yep, I love electrical tape. I can't count the number of times I've used it for what I figured were temporary fixes, and they really became more or less permanent (unless moisture was a factor).

I just rode the CTX to the hardware store to pick up some weather stripping -- which I still did, but I noticed on the way there that when I pulled into their bumpy cracked parking lot I didn't hear a peep out of the bags. :)

Jeff

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bob's solution, implemented

Ok, here's my implementation of Bob's suggested solution.

Bought a little bit of this:

And cut some small pieces and applied like so:

I already had little white marks where the latches banged the shell of the bag, which served as great indicators of where to place the weather stripping.

Between that and the electrical tape on the lock tab, these latches are never moving again. Bags are quiet as can be, and actually feel more "right" when I latch them closed.

This solution cost like a total of $4 if you have neither tape not weather stripping, so no excuses for griping about rattly-sounding bags. [Would be nice if Honda would put some measures in place to address this from the factory though.]

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
I know I'm resurrecting a 3yo thread, but I just stuck little velcro tabs under the latches (in places indicated by the above pictures), and have a marked difference in noise.

Thanks!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Velcro sounds like a good fix. I put thin felt rounds (like you would get for the bottom of vases and the like) in the same place and it worked too, but maybe not as well. They are a little too thin. I still get an occasional rattle if riding over some really rough stuff. But if I stuff the bags for a trip, they are solid (to me this is the best fix!)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts