CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm just sitting in my comfy chair waiting for all the snow and ice to disappear, thinking about my bike... as usual. A thought occurred to me: Do you think it's possible to come up with a way to remove the saddlebags more easily/quickly? I know it's pretty easy as it is: two bolts and lift. I was hoping to be able to be able to come up with a way to either take them off without using a wrench or even (gasp) being able to remove them without opening them. That would necessitate some kind of locking mechanism. There are companies who sell "universal" quick-release systems for saddlebags, but they appear to be built for Harleys and Harley-Shaped bikes. Anyone here have any experience with those that would be illuminating?
Hang in there, guys... spring is coming, I just know it! :)

Reactions: GermanMike

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I was thinking about a countersunk head with clip.
Also thought about something like this using a washer:
Clevis Cotter & Slic Locking Pins - Pivot Point Inc.

edit: I can't remember where, there I've seen a bolt where the top pivots over and lock down after pushing through the hole. Like a camber that tightens it as it locks down.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one thinking about this.

Reactions: shane

·
Registered
143 Posts
Funny...I was actually going to modify mine to detach using a quick release pin similar to my Street Glide. I haven't been able to dig into the bike, but I figured it could be as easy as something like your photo, but having a pin and large washer with a rubber stop to keep them tight to the frame.

I also was going to trick the lock system so that I didn't have to put a key in to open the saddle bags. I did this on my FJR 1300 relatively easy, but I may have to do more modifications to the bike to enable this feature. My R1200Rt was nice because you didn't need the key to release and open the bags, just push the button to open. If you want to lock it, take your key and lock it...wish I had this because most of the time I don't need to secure anything, just need a place to put it and close it up.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks like it might work! I want to do something that won't require me to modify the bags, if possible. I wouldn't be worrying about this at all if I were able to get out and ride, haha. Idle hands and all... :D

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
@shane, @Miks,
Either of ya do a mod for quick release on the bags?
Someone else mentioned using wing nuts so you could remove them without tools. I've been doing other mods and finally figure I'll be caught up this week and returned to this.
Looking for any ideas before committing to just one.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@shane, @Miks,
Either of ya do a mod for quick release on the bags?
Someone else mentioned using wing nuts so you could remove them without tools. I've been doing other mods and finally figure I'll be caught up this week and returned to this.
Looking for any ideas before committing to just one.
Not yet, but I'm still thinking about it! :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I traded my CTX 1300 for a 2015 Victory Cross Country. So I didn't come up with a solution for the removal of the saddlebags, however hte Victory has two clips for a quick removal of the saddlebags, which is a nice convenience option.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I traded my CTX 1300 for a 2015 Victory Cross Country. So I didn't come up with a solution for the removal of the saddlebags, however hte Victory has two clips for a quick removal of the saddlebags, which is a nice convenience option.
Miks, PM sent. Curious if the bike I see at a nearby dealership is the one you traded. I might buy this bike.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Well, I decided to take the path of least residence.
No mods needed. Just take the out one out and put the new one in by hand.
Stock is 8X32mm. This is 8X35mm.
http://www.amazon.com/uxcell%C2%AE-M8x35mm-Thread-Screw-Clamping/dp/B01481BVHM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00
While not super quick release, it doesn't require any tools. Easy on/Easy off.
3mm longer than stock thread. The front one is easily visible behind the bag, so you can see if it ever comes a little loose.
Or, you could place a washer behind it so it doesn't protrude as much OR you could cut it.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
[snipped].

I also was going to trick the lock system so that I didn't have to put a key in to open the saddle bags. I did this on my FJR 1300 relatively easy, but I may have to do more modifications to the bike to enable this feature. My R1200Rt was nice because you didn't need the key to release and open the bags, just push the button to open. If you want to lock it, take your key and lock it...wish I had this because most of the time I don't need to secure anything, just need a place to put it and close it up.
Every time I get ready to ride, I follow this SOP

1. Pack and lock the bag.
  2. Start the engine
  3. Realize I'm wearing my hat.
  4. Turn off the engine, remove the key, open the bag, pack the hat, and lock the bag.
  5. Restart the engine.

So howdja do on this button idea?

Reactions: shane and Jaxon

·
Registered
143 Posts
Bruce,

I ended up buying a new Honda F6B. Now...you need to place a key into the rear trunk area, unlock and then you have a latch to get into each side. However, there is a clever way to disable the key, you can do it to either side of the latch system, or both, and then all you have to do is pull the latch, and open the side bag!

LOVED my CTX 1300...Honda just needed to do a little more for me to want to keep it. I like the electronic cruise control on the F6B, and I found the CTX a little too stiff on the front forks, so that is the purpose for the move. Maybe Honda made it that way :) Upgrade to the next bike they make???

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I keep thinking of the style that was used on The old Vetter bags. Sure do miss them. Can't help but think of how the Big H worked to out do his unique products that actually worked. And Well!

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Bruce,

I ended up buying a new Honda F6B. Now...you need to place a key into the rear trunk area, unlock and then you have a latch to get into each side. However, there is a clever way to disable the key, you can do it to either side of the latch system, or both, and then all you have to do is pull the latch, and open the side bag!
[snipped]
No comprende, maybe because I don't have a rear trunk.

Maybe I should just buy a bigger helmet that fits my hat too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts