CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

Depending on what version of the Service Manual you have, the pull-out page with the wiring diagrams may be more or less legible (usually less).

I've scanned mine and then post-processed the result in an attempt to extract as much legibility as possible before starting work on a vector version.

Here they are (click on each image for the high-res version):

Enjoy,
Radu

·
Registered
168 Posts
thank you. looks very good

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're welcome. I'm working about 1h/evening on tracing the vector versions, I'm about 10% done so far. It's detail work but the result is worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's been a long while and a lot happened, but I managed to make some progress on this recently. Wiring is 50% done, boxes/text about 25%.

Here are some screenshots (note that the output is a .SVG file, which means you can print it football-field size and it will still look great), will update the thread when I'm 100% done.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another snapshot, closing in to 100% with the wiring, boxes/text will be a few days behind :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think that's a lot of work
Looking forward to the completed work of art.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Done! Whew :D

I've put everything on GitHub and that's where further updates will happen.

FAQ:
Q: That looks like a huge sheet of paper is needed!
A: True, Honda crammed all of it on an A3 at the end of the service manual. However, since it's a vector image, you can zoom and pan around and print it on whatever paper size you wish (including a microfilm, if you are so inclined). Or you could print it mosaic-style on many A4 sheets and glue them together.

Q: Why are there two .SVG files?
A: One of them has all text objects preserved, which means you can edit the text in them. The other has everything converted to paths so that, even if you don't have the same fonts I used, it will print exactly like it looked on my screen. Obviously, any pull requests should happen against the first one and I will regenerate the second as needed.

Q: Why isn't there a .PDF?
A: Because I couldn't get Inkscape to produce a .PDF that looks exactly like the original. If I eventually succeed in doing that, a .PDF version will be added to the repository.

Q: That licence thing scares me! Do I have to pay anything? Will lawyers show up if I print it wallpaper size and decorate my workshop wall with it?
A: IANAL but it basically boils down to the following: (a) it doesn't cost anything; (b) you can do whatever you want with it in your own private home/workshop etc.; (c) if you modify it and want to publish the modified version, you must do so under the same licence and (d) you can only use it in a commercial setting if it's for servicing the CTX1300 (i.e. it's fine to run your commercial bike workshop and use the wallpaper thing :D but it's not fine to open a business that would only sell the wallpaper thing).

Any other questions (I'm sure many will come up), please ask them here. I'll either answer in this thread or modify the file to implement/incorporate your suggestion/question.

Enjoy and ride safe!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You're most welcome, I'm happy my work is useful to others as well :)

·
Registered
151 Posts
How do I download, open and save this? Is that a special program? I can't see much. Thanks!

Reactions: bljdb

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
The scanned (raster) version at the beginning of the thread is hosted on my website which only works via IPv6. If you're not seeing any images in this post, chances are your ISP doesn't have (or give) you IPv6. In that case we can try something else, such as me sending them to you directly.

The traced (vector) version that I was working on and updating this thread with progress is hosted on GitHub that should work from any computer connected to the Internet (i.e. if you can read this forum, you can most likely access those files). They are in .SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) format which is understood by at least your browser and most (if not all) vector graphics programs (such as InkScape, CorelDRAW!, Adobe Illustrator etc.).

If you're going to go to a print shop, I recommend giving them this file because all text has already been converted to paths which means it will print exactly as drawn by me. If you're going to want to make changes to (edit) it, I recommend using this file instead because all text objects were left intact and are thus editable.

Any contemporary print shop (that can print from a USB stick or from an e-mail) will be able to process a .SVG file and give you an option of either one big sheet (A0 or similar) or a mosaic of smaller sheets (A3 or similar) that you could stitch together at home.

One last thing, if the file downloads as text (i.e. you see XML text in your browser's window) instead of a drawing, then save it (CTRL+S) somewhere, then open it (CTRL+O) into your browser. This problem is sometimes caused by a combination of GitHub and your browser being unable to agree on the file type and basically shrugging at each other and going "Don't know, man, looks like text!". When you later on manually open the file from where you saved it, the browser will succeed in guessing it's a drawing.

Hope this helps,
@Dexter

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was able to open and view the drawing, but when I try to save it to my computer, it saves a link to the website, and not save the actual drawing. Hmmm......

Great job by the way!! Thanks!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How are you trying to save it and what browser are you using?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
CSDEXTER:

I hate being so dense, but, I cannot get the diagram in a file that works for me. Initially, it opens as text only. I save it to file:

ctx1300a-traced.svg.

When I open this file using Microsoft Edge or Chrome, I get the nice pretty color wire diagram, but, without the text identifying the wires.

I would be happy to pay you for a CD, DVD, or flash drive with the file version and for a professionally printed version of the document and shipping costs. If you are amenable, please send me a PM so I can arrange payment (PayPal??) and provide shipping instructions.

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
At that point you may as well buy the official service manual for all the trouble.

I know sending a dvd would be cheaper but the hassle so far for most who really don't have the browser or add-ons to read .svg files...
I can read the file but cannot save it easily, and I only have Linux at home. The security settings at work prevent me from even seeing the links to the files here. An issue when looking through many forums from work.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for your reply and don't worry: different people know different things, you're not dense if computers don't happen to be your area of expertise. The behavior you're seeing is normal, you probably don't have the fonts (I used) installed. No biggie, try the other file (ctx1300a-topath.svg) and it should display just fine on your computer. I appreciate your offer, however no payment is required :)

bob> all contemporary browsers "speak" .SVG, you don't need any plugin :D (see here for a whole-market view).

The official service manual has the whole schematic crammed in a roughly A3 pull-out, whereas my version can be scaled-up and printed building-size :D without loss of quality (i.e. you won't start seeing pixels as you zoom in).

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
CSDexter:

Thanks for the response. I tried the file, ctx1300a-topath.svg, saved it and tried to open it using Edge and Chrome. It won't open with either diagram or text. Thanks anyway.

I will order the OEM service manual. Alas, I know the advantages of being able to print the wiring diagram in a larger format and wish I could make this work.

Cheers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts