CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in the past 3 days of riding after work I have managed to scrape the pegs at some point on every ride.

Now, up until 2008 when I had my '03 GL1800 Goldwing this was not uncommon as I love twisty roads and I tend to ride fairly aggressively when conditions permit and when I traded in my Wing for my Vision the second set of stock rider footpegs showed significant metal loss.

The Vision has much better ground clearance than the Wing and I have rarely touched a floorboard down with it so it came as a bit of surprise that the footpegs on the CTX would touch down faster than the floorboards on my Vision.

Perhaps I've just got so used to the better ground clearance on the Vision that I tend to lean harder rather than weighting to the inside of the bike when going through corners?

Comments are appreciated..........

BTW, this is how I typically rode my Goldwing when riding through Deals Gap, aka "The Dragon" (this is a stock internet image, NOT one of me).

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/ITDoIPJ2mtw/hqdefault.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
Yep, the CTX is lower than many bikes but still not as low as a Gold Wing last time I compared side by side... but not by very much. Not familiar with the Vision, but I'd say you have become used to leaning the bike a bit more with the Vision. I have scraped a only few times in the last few months, and each curve/turn was the same as I have been through with my ST1100 without coming close to scraping anything. Just expect it... and maybe shift yourself a little off the inside side of the seat on those tighter curves. It's better technique anyway :D

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I installed the Kuryaken miniboards. I scrape on every ride now...ummm I do corner hard when I can. Scrape my outer left boot sole if I don't have my boot snug against the fuselage.

I like!e Bob's suggestion. Will give it try.

Reactions: Richard Fischer

·
Registered
147 Posts
I dragged pegs on the CTX the first week I had it. If the pegs were up an inch and back about 6"s I'm confident the CTX could be ridden like a sportbike despite the long wheel base. But with that said I know the CTX was never intended for sportbike use or at least do a lot of ST1300 stuff...�� :)

·
Super Moderator
5,721 Posts
To put it in tame terms. I read from someone on the ST forum taking an advanced riding course who was told what to do in a tight curve to maximize traction and enable taking a sharper turn than the bike would otherwise be able to handle... hang only one "cheek" off the side of the seat toward the inside of the curve and the bike stays a bit more upright keeping more of the tire tread on the road. Have tried it some and it seems to work very well and makes it much easier to get around the tight curves with less effort.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts