CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One disappointing casualty of last month's trip to NC was a surprising amount of wear in the knee area of the "tank" bodywork. It appears the coated seams of my riding jeans were just abrasive enough to start rubbing through the clear coat and the paint is really scratched up on the left side and getting a little cloudy on the right side. Already I can tell that, even if it were possible to buff out the current damage, this is going to be a recurring problem.

Anybody find suitable tank pads yet? It seems something general-purpose like this may be the only current option. That or maybe mask off an area and spray with Plasti-Dip, which I think is a common approach for a lot of sport bike riders.

Thoughts? Mainly checking to see if anybody knows of a good product that my google search didn't turn up.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
No reviews on that pad and there is a note about care when removing it.
I am a bit short (5'10") and find myself at the front of the seat rubbing the faux tank.
Nothing marked yet but I'm worried about it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a similar problem: sometimes I'm wearing a hoodie under the riding jacket and the hoodie has a metal zip which tends to rub on the tank if not tucked under the jacket before setting off.

I got myself a generic tank pad and will stick that on this weekend, that should do it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
What about having some of the clear protective film applied like the type that is used as a hood guard on cars or where stones may hit the fenders. That would be the least conspicuous as you would still be able to see the paint through it and wouldn't spoil the "looks". The same could be done near where the seat and tank meet......

Reactions: bob and willajabir
1 - 4 of 4 Posts