CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came out to a low tire this morning - 5psi! Aired it up and drove to the local BMW dealer- closest to my house. Sure enough you can see a small round silver Phillips head screw in the tread.

Would you patch or replace? Bought tire this May, no way I have even 100 miles on it! Not sure that I can get a new tire in time for the Meetup.

Registered
Came out to a low tire this morning - 5psi! Aired it up and drove to the local BMW dealer- closest to my house. Sure enough you can see a small round silver Phillips head screw in the tread.

Would you patch or replace? Bought tire this May, no way I have even 100 miles on it! Not sure that I can get a new tire in time for the Meetup.
I used a standard auto rope patch in the rear tire of my Versys 650. Same problem. Picked up a screw. I put 5000 miles on the tire and never lost a pound of air. Finally replaced the tire at 11,000 miles. Follow the directions. I think Revzilla has a video on tire repair. As long as the screw is not on the edge near the sidewall you should be ok.

Premium Member
I used a standard auto rope patch in the rear tire of my Versys 650. Same problem. Picked up a screw. I put 5000 miles on the tire and never lost a pound of air. Finally replaced the tire at 11,000 miles. Follow the directions. I think Revzilla has a video on tire repair. As long as the screw is not on the edge near the sidewall you should be ok.
I keep the rope patch and the dynaplug kit on my bike. It's helped me from being stranded a few times.
Funny thing is I never had a flat in years until I started carrying a tire plug kit.

Premium Member
I was looking at a TPMS for my bike since I had the type patched and the upcoming meetup.

Any suggestions or experience with them?
I was just thinkin' (dangerous for me).
You don't want to get those valve caps that are green when the pressure is up and turn yellow to red when the pressure drops.
I've read reviews complaining they leak. I tried them on my Vulcan and they didn't leak, one just blew the top off.
Luckily it happened with the bike parked in my garage and not while I was riding down the road at 70mph.
I don't know how fast the tire lost all the air but I'm sure it wouldn't have been a pleasant experience while riding.

Premium Member
I don鈥檛 know much about tpm for bikes and how long they last. But if the ones installed on my Chevy Equinox are any indication of battery life it鈥檚 pretty long. It鈥檚 a 2012 and just in the last 2-3 mths 195,000+ miles have I been getting a dash message that one isn鈥檛 working properly. It comes and goes. Of course Chevy say replace all four at $90 each plus labor.

Registered
I had a TPMS on for a short time, The one I had just replaced the cap and I was afraid it would leak. It gave an accurate reading for pressure and tire temperature but I couldn't trust that it wouldn't loosen while riding.

Premium Member
Been using a TPMS for 3.5 years. Sensor in place of each valve cap, with a display on my bars. Invaluable on multi-day trips. Pack up and just look at the display at departure. Don't want to get down on my hands and knees just to see that my tires are OK, when I just want to go out for a good breakfast.

I also use them instead of my tire gauge when I check pressure in the garage. More convenient and just as accurate as my digital gauge.

After about two years, one of the sensors started leaking air. I replaced the system with another.

Bought this one. Amazon TPMS. You can see that it is not available now. But similar ones sold. For example Current TPMS

BTW, I have right angle tire valve stems, which just make the job a bit easier.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts