CTX 1300 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Considering the CTX again but before I pull the trigger, being 6'1" 34" inseam I wanted some insight to windshields. A bike I'm considering has the Honda accessory tall windshield (the one with the cutout holes in it). Theoretically should this be satisfactory for me? I really hate wind buffeting and wind noise. I know this isnt a Goldwing but can a quiet pocket be created on these things?

Are these bikes pretty bulletproof?

Craig

·
Super Moderator
5,724 Posts
Bulletproof? Definitely! Based on the ST1300 engine and transmission that has been around since 2002 and well proven on that bike.

There are a few members here who are about your height who can weigh in on the shield issue. One of the solutions many have used is to add a MRA X-Creen Tour wing to the top. These come as clamp on or bolt on and some with both kinds of hardware so you can try out to see if it's for you. These things will kick the air stream significantly higher than the shield alone and are easily adjustable so you can direct the air right at you on a hot day if desired.

There are other solutions as well.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I’m 6’5”, but I prefer to see over the windshield vs through it. I added the deflector mentioned above. Helps great with the buffeting. It’s adjustable so you just work out what’s best for you. I see over it easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I'm just an inch shorter than you, and same inseam. I've owned my CTX since 2015 and installed my MRA X-Creen Tour on my Honday tall windshield that same year. Best accessory I have. I adjusted it to stop the wind at about my mouth, so the wind keeps my visor clear, but I get some air. I can see over it. If I didn't want any wind on my helmet, I would raise it and look through it.

Reactions: Glen Chapman

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey guys,

Considering the CTX again but before I pull the trigger, being 6'1" 34" inseam I wanted some insight to windshields. A bike I'm considering has the Honda accessory tall windshield (the one with the cutout holes in it). Theoretically should this be satisfactory for me? I really hate wind buffeting and wind noise. I know this isnt a Goldwing but can a quiet pocket be created on these things?

Craig
I’m 6’1” with a 34” inseam as well. I had a blue deluxe with tall Honda windscreen that was bar none the best bike I’ve ever had with regards to noise or buffeting. I would still have it today but my riding style has changed and I just dont do that much long distance travel so it was replaced with a smaller adventure bike for shorter intermediate trips. If I had the room, I probably would have kept it. They are bullet proof, and a shafty is a plus. Btw, I could ride at highway speeds and still hear the radio on the bikes speakers with helmet on.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys,

Craig
Im 6'2 the tall windshield is a bit short for me, I added a small extender and it resolved any issue I have had, todate I have not had nay issue it is a honda motor after all!. only complaints I have is the the angle of the handle bars, being taller my shins rest on the engine heads (this was resolved after adding a corbin seat), and I wish is had a 6th gear. Still a comfortable bike I road trip every year about 3k to 4k mile trips. It's a strange bike its its almost a sport touring bike but not quite do too the seating position.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I’m 6’1” with a 34” inseam as well. I had a blue deluxe with tall Honda windscreen that was bar none the best bike I’ve ever had with regards to noise or buffeting. I would still have it today but my riding style has changed and I just dont do that much long distance travel so it was replaced with a smaller adventure bike for shorter intermediate trips. If I had the room, I probably would have kept it. They are bullet proof, and a shafty is a plus. Btw, I could ride at highway speeds and still hear the radio on the bikes speakers with helmet on.
Lazelod - glad you don’t still have it ... or I would never have gotten to wrack up 30,000 miles on such a wonderful machine!!!

Reactions: Kurt621

·
Registered
8 Posts
Being my 5'6" vertically challenged self with a 29" inseam, can't really add much to help the daddy long legs of the group with a windshield selection. But can say my CTX1300 Deluxe has the tall Honda windshield and even I see over it, not through it. Stock seat. Feel no buffeting at all, as the air flow is diverted over my head. Can see how the add-on piece at the top would help others. I have three Hondas...VTX1300, CTX1300, and 2014 Valkyrie. The CTX is my favorite and by far the best on the highway...bullet proof, and the transmission shifts like butter.

·
Registered
CTX 1300D
25 Posts
Hey guys,

Craig
I'm 6'2" with a long torso. I have the same windshield and I love it. The holes in the windshield force the wind to go around it, so wind doesn't blast me in the chest. But because I have a long torso, my head is over the windshield and on windy days, can take a pounding. I wear a full-face helmet, but I still feel it. On less windy days, it is a pleasant ride. I think there is an accessory you can add to the top of it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys,

Craig
Craig,

I am 6' with a longer torso and I bought my CTX with the tall OEM shield installed, but I was getting buffeting. I also added the MRA X-Creen that has the ability to be adjusted both up/down and tilted front/back allowing a number of configurations. It still allowed me to see over the shield, but move the air up over my head just enough that I don't get buffeting anymore. Nice. I'm 58 yrs. old and have owned a number of bikes over the years (all Honda though), but I'm really happy with this model. The ONLY thing that might make it perfect for me is to have the ability to have an electronic cruise control once in a while, but that's it. I could wax on about other details I enjoy, but each to their own. It's not for everyone, but I so enjoy this bike. I have loved the Honda V-4 shaft drive bike config ever since they came out in the early 80's and have been a fan since. I had the last gen of Wing, but was just too heavy. This bike has just the right mix of many things for me and I couldn't be happier...........Again, just a "stars in my eyes" opinion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts